30-06

Depends on the gun and the load. I looked a Savage Whitetail in .30-06 that was shooting 190's and doing very well at 600 which was as far as the range went. More case capacity than the .308 which does very well at long range and the 06 should do ever bit as well or better.

There was a boat tail that weighed either 165 or 168 ( Its been a long time..memory is foggie) that with the right "load" was accurate enough to say if you can see them...you can hit them. And long before "magnums" where the buzz word...a slug from an "ought-six" went thru the bullseye on the 1000 yard range at Camp Perry a LOT of times.

I am shooting 165 or168 sst at moose 760 win. powder 56.2 grs. 1 in group at 100 yards. The sst"s grouped 2 ins higher than 165 gr btsp. with the same load. The 178gr A max grouped well too.:)

I have a few .3006 03A3 Spingfields that I invested a bunch(to much money)into to make a tack driver
the .3006 can get out to 1000 yards but there are many other calibres that wont break the bank.
I have punched paper with that Calibre at ranges over 400 yards and killed Deer at 400yards,
I just don't plan to shoot that far with this calibre.
The .3006 is a great calibre but if you want a rifle that can go that far, go with a .300 mag
all that is, is a .3006 that grew up and got into steroids.

I hunt deer and elk and really like the 06 I just finished building another and yesterday put some 200gr Accubonds through the chronograph and was seeing 2660 with 58.2gr RL 22. It was 40 degrees.

The 06 has a mild recoil so you can shoot all day and not need a brake. There are shells in every store if you need them and oh yeah it will shoot a thousand yards very accurately. It will carry enough velocity and energy with the 200gr Accubond to take a bull elk at 650 yards with proper bullet placement.

If you need more the 300 WM in my opinion would be the next step.

KCEBJ said it well. My H4831 sc load duplicates his results, but I wrote his load down on my need to try list. I can't say it better, but would add I've had a 30-06 since I was 15, hope I'm never without one.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.