270 or 30-06

CPerkins

My Dad is looking to get a new rifle and he has found a Remington that he likes. I haven't seen it yet, but it is a remington 700 with a fluted stainless barrel and a wood stock. They have them in a 270 and 30-06. We hunt west TN and the farthest shot that is enen possible where he will be hunting is 200- 250 yards. I know that isn't long range, but in the little time I have been on this site I have come to value your opinions on rifle calibers. Any advise on this would be great.
Thanks

With out a doubt, the 270!

Why? It's just better.

Actually for the use and distance you listed its probably even up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

However, if you're Dad is going to shoot varmints in addition to deer, the smaller (90-115gr) bullets are way better in 270.

FWIW.....

For the uses you menation either will suit him well. THe advantage of the 06' is a bigger variety of bullet weights to choose from. From 100gr up to 220gr you can just about cover anything your likley to encounter.

The advantage of the .270 is a slightly flatter trajectory with the 130gr bullets. However even though there are less a variety of weights to pick from, the 130's through the 150's are pleanty for most encounters.

Both are generally capable of excellent accuracy with some of the newer factory loads and especially from some careful handloads.

For the ranges you mentioned it is really a toss up. I have at least two of them in each caliber, and use which ever one the mood strikes me at the time. This past weekend I had my pop's old 03A3 with me, while in the backwoods, but also had the .270 in a Rem. BDL sitting in the truck.

Good Luck, I personally don't see a downside to either choice.

if your not going to hunt elk with it then either one. If elk are on you're list of posibilities then i would go with the 06. not that the 270 won't work great but i would prefer a heavier bullet for them. Elk can be amazing animals, seen them hit with a 338 win mag 3 or 4 times in the chest before they decided that they were dead. then you have the ones where a 223 drops them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. but for deer there both great.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.