Changing barrel on a Rem 721, .270w

Thanks for the tip, I'll tak a look
Mike
Yeah I'm doing the same. I have to work on my 270 win some more. I don't think these have the best BC, but they are heavy and they are available. The price isn't bad either.

I'm with Old Red on barrels that shoot well I leave them alone. John Barsness wrote about using heavier bullets in a 270 Win 1-10". Sometimes they will stabilize. I have a 270 Win that shoots so so with a chattered chamber. It's a JC Higgins FN Mauser and it has a chrome lined barrel. I was going to rebarrel it, but now I'm going to try some 170 Bergers before making my final decision.
Those FN,S have a chrome Vanadium steel barrel I have one , great rifles .

Those FN,S have a chrome Vanadium steel barrel I have one , great rifles .
I'd be happy with chrome vanadium. But this article claims chrome lined. Either way is fine if it shoots.

From the article: "As to the rifle itself, it's a no-frills item built on a Belgian FN Model 98 Mauser action with a 22-inch chrome-lined barrel courtesy of High Standard.".

If the rifle shoots <1MOA, it would be tough for me to swap a barrel out UNLESS I really wanted to shoot heavies which a fast twist 1:8 .270 will do extremely well. At least from my experience putting one together on 700LA 1:8 throated for specific 156HH which also gave me great throat for 170EOL, 175TGK, 160Partition, and now 170BT. The velocities from this build surprised the heck out of me.

More threads out there if interested. @FEENIX has additional threads on .270AI that might be interesting as well.

So if the .270 "caliber" is still in your thoughts plus having ALL the components to load, a fast twist can still be worth a thought!

Currently I have an old Remington Model 721, .270w cal. that is a hunting rifle. I had a replacement trigger ( Timney ) installed last year to replace OEM trigger that was recalled.
It has been a good hunting rifle with 1 " groups off the bench at 200 yards so I don't want to screw it up.
That said, I would like your opinion on replacing the 1/10 twist barrel with a 1/8 twist so that I can shoot larger, heavier bullets.
Couple questions
1. If I have a new barrel installed will I be able to keep accuracy with lighter rounds ( Coreloc 130/150)
2. Recommendations on barrel makers for this gun.
Thanks
Mike
First off I think you ought to scrap that piece of junk and sell it to me!!!!👍👍;):) However I do not believe that is going to work out too well. Those rifles are find shooting rifles, and I am a follower of the .270 Winchester cartridge. I read on this forum all of the time about hunters making shots out to 500-800 yards on game animals, so yes that certainly is possible. Right now I have a .270 Ackley Improved with a 1:10 twist barrel. I built this rifle for whitetail deer hunting and with 300-500 yards shot as the furthest shots that I intend to be taking at game. I was also planning a mule deer hunt out west; however....with mobility problems due to too many orbits around the sun that probably is not going to happen. Anyway I've written what I have written as some ground work for my thoughts about a 1:8 twist barrel change. You really have a very nice, "ACCURATE", vintage rifle who some people would really love to own, in its original condition. With that said my only thought is, "do you really have a need for a rifle that shoots heavier .270 bullets??" Is there a particular reason for going this route, other than "it's because you want a rifle that shoots heavier bullets, or...you have a particular need for changing bullets from the 130-150s out of a .270?" I have had thoughts about changing the .270 Ackley Improved, 1:10 twist barrel to a 1:8 twist barrel; however, what I asked myself was do you really need to do that for what you plan to do with this rifle?? And for me the honest answer was "NO", it's more of a trendy thing that something that I really have to have or need for what I plan to do with this rifle. I actually built two, .270 Ackleys, with 26 inch Lilja barrels on them, and "if" I were to build them again, I would build them with the 1:10 twist only because these rifles are extremely accurate and will do everything that we designed and built them for. My only suggestion to you would be that if you want to shoot heavier bullets would be to purchase a donor rifle and rebarrel the donor rifle with a .26 inch barrel, 1:8 twist barrel and chamber that donor to .270 Winchester so you can shoot heavier bullets and get the extra horsepower out of the overbore .270 with the 26 inch barrel. The only difference in cost between rebarreling what you have and purchasing a donor rifle will be the cost of the donor rifle. One last thought is that just because the rifle has been rebarreled with a new, quality barrel, it does not mean it will be accurate, hopefully it will but not necessarily so. One-inch groups at 200 yards is nothing to complain about. Hope this helps answer your question, and good luck with any route you choose to go.

I have the same 721/.270 that I inherited. Great gun and I'll never take it apart, it was my dads and I used to hunt deer with it as a kid. I would buy yourself a larger caliber gun to compliment the .270. Maybe get an old rem 700 in 7mm and put an 1/8 barrel on it, nice trigger and new stock.. that's what I did.
The one thing I love about the 270 is that you can actually find bullets for it. My local shop always has Hornady bullets on the shelf. Last week they had about 50 boxes of Eldx's.

I have the same 721/.270 that I inherited. Great gun and I'll never take it apart, it was my dads and I used to hunt deer with it as a kid. I would buy yourself a larger caliber gun to compliment the .270. Maybe get an old rem 700 in 7mm and put an 1/8 barrel on it, nice trigger and new stock.. that's what I did.
The one thing I love about the 270 is that you can actually find bullets for it. My local shop always has Hornady bullets on the shelf. Last week they had about 50 boxes of Eldx's.
Yup but his issue, which will be the same as mine, is getting 7mm brass or bullets. The easy button is getting a Savage and doing a Shilen 270 win prefit barrel at Northlands Shooters Supply. You can get a 1-8.5" and just shoot the heavies with it. Save Dad's rifle for everything else.

Currently I have an old Remington Model 721, .270w cal. that is a hunting rifle. I had a replacement trigger ( Timney ) installed last year to replace OEM trigger that was recalled.
It has been a good hunting rifle with 1 " groups off the bench at 200 yards so I don't want to screw it up.
That said, I would like your opinion on replacing the 1/10 twist barrel with a 1/8 twist so that I can shoot larger, heavier bullets.
Couple questions
1. If I have a new barrel installed will I be able to keep accuracy with lighter rounds ( Coreloc 130/150)
2. Recommendations on barrel makers for this gun.
Thanks
Mike
Load some, 140 grain, Classic Hunter, Bergers in it at, 3,000+ FPS and it will, "Slay",.. Elk / Moose out to, 650-700 yards.
IF you think you "need", bigger Bullets, buy/ build,.. a 7mm Mag, 7 SAUM or, .300 WSM.
Personally , I would NEVER, ever, re-barrel,.. a 1/2 MOA,.. "Shooter"

Last edited:
First off I think you ought to scrap that piece of junk and sell it to me!!!!👍👍;):) However I do not believe that is going to work out too well. Those rifles are find shooting rifles, and I am a follower of the .270 Winchester cartridge. I read on this forum all of the time about hunters making shots out to 500-800 yards on game animals, so yes that certainly is possible. Right now I have a .270 Ackley Improved with a 1:10 twist barrel. I built this rifle for whitetail deer hunting and with 300-500 yards shot as the furthest shots that I intend to be taking at game. I was also planning a mule deer hunt out west; however....with mobility problems due to too many orbits around the sun that probably is not going to happen. Anyway I've written what I have written as some ground work for my thoughts about a 1:8 twist barrel change. You really have a very nice, "ACCURATE", vintage rifle who some people would really love to own, in its original condition. With that said my only thought is, "do you really have a need for a rifle that shoots heavier .270 bullets??" Is there a particular reason for going this route, other than "it's because you want a rifle that shoots heavier bullets, or...you have a particular need for changing bullets from the 130-150s out of a .270?" I have had thoughts about changing the .270 Ackley Improved, 1:10 twist barrel to a 1:8 twist barrel; however, what I asked myself was do you really need to do that for what you plan to do with this rifle?? And for me the honest answer was "NO", it's more of a trendy thing that something that I really have to have or need for what I plan to do with this rifle. I actually built two, .270 Ackleys, with 26 inch Lilja barrels on them, and "if" I were to build them again, I would build them with the 1:10 twist only because these rifles are extremely accurate and will do everything that we designed and built them for. My only suggestion to you would be that if you want to shoot heavier bullets would be to purchase a donor rifle and rebarrel the donor rifle with a .26 inch barrel, 1:8 twist barrel and chamber that donor to .270 Winchester so you can shoot heavier bullets and get the extra horsepower out of the overbore .270 with the 26 inch barrel. The only difference in cost between rebarreling what you have and purchasing a donor rifle will be the cost of the donor rifle. One last thought is that just because the rifle has been rebarreled with a new, quality barrel, it does not mean it will be accurate, hopefully it will but not necessarily so. One-inch groups at 200 yards is nothing to complain about. Hope this helps answer your question, and good luck with any route you choose to go.
Thank you for the detailed answer to my question. I think I'm staying with my original barrel and will now look for either a different rifle to rework or maybe just purchase a rifle from one of the manufacturers here who can provide a 1/8 twist unit. Mike

IMO the 170 Berger puts the 270 Win in the realm of the 280 AI/ 7mm RM. Not quite equal but pretty close. And since components and even dies are tough to get these days I see it as an option. Just an opinion. I forget what Muddyboots got with his 270 Win, oops I found it lol.

The 721 I inherited from my uncle, will not group well. Although he took tons and tons of game with it, can not get close to the lands even with 150s, still ¼" away.
Was thinking going with 6.5-06 or AI.
If it shoots keep it that way!

Thank you for the detailed answer to my question. I think I'm staying with my original barrel and will now look for either a different rifle to rework or maybe just purchase a rifle from one of the manufacturers here who can provide a 1/8 twist unit. Mike
I wrote you a detailed reply and you thanked me for it. Thank you for doing that, oftentimes replies are written and the OP never even acknowledges that they read it by checking the "like" button. One last thing that I thought about if you want to stay with the .270 heavy bullets. I "think" that if I were looking to build a rifle that is capable of shoot the heavy .270 bullets out of I would be looking at the .270 Winchester Short Magnum (meaning short action donor rifle), only rebarrel that rifle with a quality "1:8" twist, 26 inch barrel. I like the longer barrel on the .270 to get as much velocity as possible out of that cartridge. I believe this set up is a much better alternative than the 6.8 Western due to the increased powder capacity of the .270 WSM over the 6.8 Western. This set up will (1) let you shoot heavy weight bullets, (2) still be shooting .270 bullets, (3) be able to find components (.270 WSM isn't going to go away in the near future), (4) have a "bragging rights rifle" (<<<----very important testosterone factor👍) that will shoot heavy weight bullets at greater velocities than a regular .270 Winchester is capable of doing. So....if you are thinking of going the route of purchasing a donor rifle, perhaps want to keep these thoughts in mind.