parkerizing a rem 721?

JOSE A. MARINE

a client of mine wants me to parkerize a rem 721 action on a 7 STW project, but I have never done it (parkerizing) before on a rifle action.

do I loose the smoothness of the action?

I`ve owned parkerized rifles before like an SSG69, but really did not like the rough action, do you guys have any recomendation?

how about teflon/moly from brownells, is it worth the trouble?

thanks for your input.

Joe

The corsness of the finish depends on the corsness of the grit you blast it with. The action needs to be blasted realy well with aluminum oxide so that it does rough up the surface a little bit and the phosphate has somthing to hold on to.

It will leave a semi rough finish like the rem Matte finish if a finer grit is used to blast with.

the Spray on moly is pretty decient stuff , you get much better results if you can do it with an air brush rather than the rattle can. If its gonna be sprayed I'd check into the newer ceramic coatings , they are said to be much tougher.

Parkerizing is simpler than hot salt bluing, and is a durable finish. I blast with a 70 grit aluminum oxide media and use Brownell's Manganese Phosphate concentrate @ 1 part in 10 of distilled water at around 190 deg F. Remember to activate a newly mixed solution before running parts in it.

If you only Park the back end of the bolt with the handle, the action will feel smooth.

This is a good finish for a working gun.

Tom

I also thought about the bolt..

without parkerizing the head and body of the bolt, only the lever.
thanks for the input.

I`m going for it...

Joe

Joe, it's crude but works. A stand made with a washer tacked to the head of a 1/2" std thread bolt an 1 1/2" long or so can hold the rifle bolt upright in a small stainless boiler with a couple of inches of solution in it. You mask off all the rest of the bolt and just blast the back, and then adjust the height of the rifle bolt by screwing it up or down on the 1/2" bolt to immerse it just to the edge of the masking tape.

Don't let the solution come to a boil.

Piece of cake, Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.