Changing barrel on a Rem 721, .270w

Handymike

Currently I have an old Remington Model 721, .270w cal. that is a hunting rifle. I had a replacement trigger ( Timney ) installed last year to replace OEM trigger that was recalled.
It has been a good hunting rifle with 1 " groups off the bench at 200 yards so I don't want to screw it up.
That said, I would like your opinion on replacing the 1/10 twist barrel with a 1/8 twist so that I can shoot larger, heavier bullets.
Couple questions
1. If I have a new barrel installed will I be able to keep accuracy with lighter rounds ( Coreloc 130/150)
2. Recommendations on barrel makers for this gun.
Thanks
Mike

I have the same rifle and caliber. It shoots about the same as yours. I can't bring myself to replace a barrel that shoots good. I shoot 150 grain bullets out of it. If I want heavier bullets I will get another rifle or action. But that's just me. Happy shooting.
I don't see much of a gain in the selection and availability of 27 cal bullets switching barrels for that reason . If I were too go through the expense of a barrel change the 280 AI with a 1-8 or 1-9 would be a better choice with the wide range of 7 mm bullet offerings monos , cup and core etc etc .

Currently I have an old Remington Model 721, .270w cal. that is a hunting rifle. I had a replacement trigger ( Timney ) installed last year to replace OEM trigger that was recalled.
It has been a good hunting rifle with 1 " groups off the bench at 200 yards so I don't want to screw it up.
That said, I would like your opinion on replacing the 1/10 twist barrel with a 1/8 twist so that I can shoot larger, heavier bullets.
Couple questions
1. If I have a new barrel installed will I be able to keep accuracy with lighter rounds ( Coreloc 130/150)
Thanks
Mike
I'm with Old Red on barrels that shoot well I leave them alone. John Barsness wrote about using heavier bullets in a 270 Win 1-10". Sometimes they will stabilize. I have a 270 Win that shoots so so with a chattered chamber. It's a JC Higgins FN Mauser and it has a chrome lined barrel. I was going to rebarrel it, but now I'm going to try some 170 Bergers before making my final decision.

Couple questions
Thanks
Mike
Leave that gun alone.

I have the same rifle and caliber. It shoots about the same as yours. I can't bring myself to replace a barrel that shoots good. I shoot 150 grain bullets out of it. If I want heavier bullets I will get another rifle or action. But that's just me. Happy shooting.
Thanks Red, Appreciate your thoughts
Mike

I don't see much of a gain in the selection and availability of 27 cal bullets switching barrels for that reason . If I were too go through the expense of a barrel change the 280 AI with a 1-8 or 1-9 would be a better choice with the wide range of 7 mm bullet offerings monos , cup and core etc etc .
Thanks for your input. Will consider it
Mike

I'm with Red. I couldn't take that sweet old rifle apart. One of my best memories is shooting a 721 270 55 years ago. My buddy's dad handed me the rifle and said "now, it will hit an inch high and 1/4" left". That's exactly where it hit.
Cemetery, I kinda feel the same way. Believe I'll just shoot it as it stands
Mike

I'm with Old Red on barrels that shoot well I leave them alone. John Barsness wrote about using heavier bullets in a 270 Win 1-10". Sometimes they will stabilize. I have a 270 Win that shoots so so with a chattered chamber. It's a JC Higgins FN Mauser and it has a chrome lined barrel. I was going to rebarrel it, but now I'm going to try some 170 Bergers before making my final decision.
xsn10s,
You guys are talking me out of my idea, think I'll try some heavier rounds and actually see what she will do
Thanks
Mike

xsn10s,
You guys are talking me out of my idea, think I'll try some heavier rounds and actually see what she will do
Thanks
Mike
That's what I'm going to do. I calculated the BC decrease using Berger's barrel twist calculator. So if I get acceptable accuracy I'll test them at distance. Otherwise they'll sit on the shelf until I rebarrel. I considered rebarreling to a 7mm of some kind. The issue is I already have 270 win brass, bullets, and dies. All I need to get right now is 170 Bergers. Worst case scenario for me is it'll shoot either 135 SMK or a tipped bullet for long range varmints.