Change my mind

Another consideration might be the availability of brass or cost for Weatherby ammo. If I was going for a big 30 it would be something more main stream such as Norma, PRC or RUM. However, with that said the WSM is a sweet cartridge and can take down just about anything in this country. Good luck with the itch. Lol.

I think the 300wsm hit the sweet spot in 30 cal. The RUM and Weatherby are just too much for me. They kick like mules and I don't like to shoot them. On top of that I don't see anything they can do that a WSM can't. I'd stick with the WSM.

I prefer the big 7mm to the big 30. 28 Nosler and 7stw are great (I'm sure there are others) and can take advantage of the longer high bc 7s. In the big 30s the WSM is the sweet spot for me. But just my opinions.

The Mark V in .257 Wby sounds like it would fit in your collection. There is a lot of brass available and the dies are quite common unlike some cartridges. Powder, primers and bullets for anything are the current problem. Good luck with your choice.

I'm building a 300WSM now as it's just a great all around round. Can shoot the lights or the heavies with great accuracy. Components are usually easily found under normal circumstances and affordable as well. Numerous great OTC ammo options also for the non-hand loader as well.

Have you seen the 6.8 western? Do they chamber in that yet? Very very similar to 270 wsm. I have a 300 wsm but I also want the 270. Buy what makes you happy. Every time you open your safe door you'll smile.

The Mark V in .257 Wby sounds like it would fit in your collection. There is a lot of brass available and the dies are quite common unlike some cartridges. Powder, primers and bullets for anything are the current problem. Good luck with your choice.
What could I expect for barrel life in one? It's really my only concern with it and any wby cartridge I guess. I shoot a few hundred times a summer with each gun at best.

Have you seen the 6.8 western? Do they chamber in that yet? Very very similar to 270 wsm. I have a 300 wsm but I also want the 270. Buy what makes you happy. Every time you open your safe door you'll smile.
I was considering it but already have a 270 win and went with a 6.5prc

I think you're good with the 300wsm. Especially if you have found the load that works for you. I'd spend on optics upgrade. If you're good there, then filling the cupboards with the components you need because it's getting tougher and tougher this time around. If you are good with components....take a deep breath and smile. You are a blessed man.

I think the 300wsm hit the sweet spot in 30 cal. The RUM and Weatherby are just too much for me. They kick like mules and I don't like to shoot them. On top of that I don't see anything they can do that a WSM can't. I'd stick with the WSM.

I prefer the big 7mm to the big 30. 28 Nosler and 7stw are great (I'm sure there are others) and can take advantage of the longer high bc 7s. In the big 30s the WSM is the sweet spot for me. But just my opinions.
I shoot the .300WSM also in a stainless Tika 3 with a muzzle break. Wonderful 500 yard rifle. This year we are building a new 500-1,500 yard range

Try 300 WSM in a AR-10 for an ultimate long range "perching" rifle. It's heavy, but recoil is inconsequential. Mine puts 150 gr Fusions into 1/4" moa. Perfect for summertime wolf hunts.

When I first bought my 300 RUM I was shooting factory 180 gr bullets and I honestly think it was giving me a slight concussion. I'd shoot 5 and have a headache for 2 days. I ended up putting a Limbsaver AirTech recoil pad with it's enclosed air chamber like individual airbags on, Night and day difference! Can shoot it all day now no problem. I am now a firm believer in the Airtech pads now.

Might as well find a place in the stable for the New Sheriff in town.
.300 PRC
Good luck finding brass or ammo in the 300 PRC!!
At least for now you can still find Brass and ammo in the 300WSM...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.