Chambering time !, help me decide 6x47Lapua or 243Ai

James Jones

The time has come to make the decision between the two. The gun will be used for F-class and long range varmints , built on a fully blueprinted M-7 remington action with a heavy varmint 28" 1-7.5 twist Bartlein 5-R barrel. Gun will be setup to feed from the mag ADL style

I doubt that I'll ever sell the gun but in case I'd like to factor in "resale-ability" into the caliber choice.

I have a couple hundred Lapua 243 cases here but I use them for my 260 also , the 243 reamer is a slightly tight neck.270 I think so their willb a little bit of case neck turning but can also be reamed to standard neck

any of you guys ever use both of these rounds and care to offer your input? I have had a couple 243Ai's but they were hot rods varmint guns. I like the idea of the 6.5x47 Lapua case desgine but their almost twice the cost of the 243 Lapua cases.

I'll be having Don Geraci chamber the gun and have know of guns in both calibers that were cut with the same reamers this one will and they shoot REALY well so I know that both reamers are proven.

I have heard the 6x47 is a getting more popular and performing well. I think it depends on how often you are going to shoot F-Class compared to varminting.

If your going to shoot F-Class a bunch, I would probably go with the 6x47. However, if you are going to use this rifle more for varminting, I would go with the 243 AI because of the following reasons;

1. Better Performance, about 500fps more using the 243 AI with all bullets.
2. More load information
3. Better kill power at longer ranges
4. Better Re-Sale value

Here is a quick VELOCITY comparison between the 6x47 and the 243 AI using a 28" barrel and the 105grn Berger VLD ;

1. 6X47-2700fps
2. 243 AI-3300fps

As you can see there is a big velocity difference between the two.

The 243 AI will perform well in F-Class too. The 6x47 will perform well as a varminter, however, it lacks the punch of the 243 AI.

Go with the 243 AI, I think you will be much happier with its performance at F-Class comps and long range Varminting.

Good luck!

Wildcat

James,
I'm struggling with the same decision, but I leaning real hard towards
the 6x47. Mostly due to no fire forming and maybe a little longer barrel life...
I will say I think you will be happy either way you go. I do not believe one is capable of more accuracy than the other.

best to you and your project,

308nate

Since you asked...
icon10.gif

I would go with the 243AI because of cheaper cases, better resale, higher velocity, and accuracy is a wash.

I think its gonna be a 6x47 , like Nate mentioned ,the no fire forming possibly longer barrel life and if in the end I'm not happy with it I can easly knock and inch off the barrel and rechamber to 243Ai not the case with 243Ai to 6x47

Besides from what I have seen with the quality of the Lapua brass in the past 100 piecs should last most of the barrels life unless I get stupid with the pressure which is likely not to happen since this rigs main reason is tight groups.

Thanks fellas.

I can offer some tips with this cartridge.

I have the distinction of being the first guy to ever fuss with this in the US.

When I first learned of it I made contact with a man who lives in Switzerland and Florida. He'd pick up once fired brass off the ranges of the Swiss National Team and mail them to me.

I had chamber and resize reamers made at PTG and off I went. . .

Have done a few guns in this. The first was a bolt gun and it shot real well, the second was a L/H AR-10 that I built. It's initial testing was done at the Wittington Center in Raton, NM and it shot an 8X clean back at the 1K on the Tubb range out there.

Pretty cool little cartridge. I still have about 500 pieces of genuine 1st run RUAG brass.

I've shot the full gamut of heavy 6mm bullets and the Hornady stuff seems to work real well with my reamer. I used 4831 SC and Federal GM210 primers.

The one thing that kinda bugged me was we were always a little short on the velocity. RUAG loaded their stuff to a velocity I could never quite get to. I ran about every powder I could through it and just always came up a little short.

I don't know that others have had this issue, so I wouldn't let it discourage you.

The first RCBS dies left a little to be desired, they were quite small and would really work the brass hard. They'd rattle in the chambers like a marble in a coffee can. I made my own sizing dies from scratch with a sizing reamer from PTG.

The newer 6.5X47 looks real promising too. That small rifle primer is a nice touch.

Well, hoped this helped. One thing that was a bit of a pain was getting it to feed right in a bolt gun. The AR stuff was easy, but man I played some hell with it in the Model 70 P64 Winny that I did the first time I built one.

Experience is never cheap right?

Good luck.

NC.

Wildcat,

Where did you come up with that 500fps difference between the 6-47 and the 243AI because I think you must be mistaken. Are you thinking about the old 6/223 that is also called a 6x47? I would put the velocity difference at maybe 150fps at best between the 243AI and the 6-6.5x47 lapua.

I dont know if you have any experiance with either of these rounds, I will admit I do not have much. I have 2200 rounds of 6-6.5x47 Lapua and maybe 400 rounds of 243AI that I have loaded and fired. I use Lapua brass for both and have shot the 105 bergers the 115 bergers the scenars and the 115 d-tacs in both. Often loading and shooting them side by side. While it is not a fair comparison because my 243AI has a 25 inch barrel and my 6x47 Lapua has a 28 inch barrel. With this barrel difference they run neck in neck. (both are 7.5 twist the 243 is built on a rem 700 and the 6x47 is built on a Bat)

My latest f-class load for the 6-6.5x47 is running the 115 bergers 3120fps with 43.2gr vv560. I have 8 loadings on my 6x47 brass with my old load using vv160 and the 105 and 2 loadings with my new load using the 115s. After 10 loads my primer pockets are still very tight and the gun is still capable of shooting .2 groups at 300 yards using this worn out brass.

If you run both of thses cases through quickload using the same barrel length, using the listed max pressure for both 55200 and 63091 PSI, with vv560 the 243AI is actually about 30 fps behind the 6-6.5x47 lapua. I am probably running my 243AI over max approved pressure to keep up with my 6-47L. I doubt very seriously that I am going to get ten loadings out of my 243AI brass with tight primer pockets.

I have heard the 6x47 is a getting more popular and performing well. I think it depends on how often you are going to shoot F-Class compared to varminting.

If your going to shoot F-Class a bunch, I would probably go with the 6x47. However, if you are going to use this rifle more for varminting, I would go with the 243 AI because of the following reasons;

1. Better Performance, about 500fps more using the 243 AI with all bullets.
2. More load information
3. Better kill power at longer ranges
4. Better Re-Sale value

Here is a quick VELOCITY comparison between the 6x47 and the 243 AI using a 28" barrel and the 105grn Berger VLD ;

1. 6X47-2700fps
2. 243 AI-3300fps

As you can see there is a big velocity difference between the two.

The 243 AI will perform well in F-Class too. The 6x47 will perform well as a varminter, however, it lacks the punch of the 243 AI.

Go with the 243 AI, I think you will be much happier with its performance at F-Class comps and long range Varminting.

Good luck!

Wildcat

EDDYBO,

I have alot of experience with the 243 AI, however, I will admit I don't have any experience with 6x47.

I most have been looking at the wrong numbers and was probably looking at the old 6x47 that you mentioned. Sorry for the wrong info, thought it was correct. Thank you for the correction.

Wildcat

I think I'm sold on the 6x47 Lapua , the gun will hopefully be chambered tomorrow or at least next week.

Eddybo , are you running down to Independince tomorrow? I'm heading that way in the AM after getting my boy to school and stuff loaded up. should be around 8:30 or 9:00.

I will be there. He had my barrel for my new f-class rig in the lathe this AM. You guessed it another 6-6.5x47:) My old gun is getting close to a rebarrel. Cant think of anything better than 6x47....that is if my old barrel ever stops shooting. Looks like 2500 is going to be possible even when most of it is 22 round strings of slow fire.

i have a 6x47

james there is no question that 6x47 is a great caliber. you can see mine in the gun photos. this one was built by nate at ssg.i just added a couple pictures. as for as the caliber i am shooting 105 berger vlds and i am easily going over 3100fps.you wont be disapointed. after shooting this there is no question that this is a great f class and long range varmit gun..

Well the parts were dropped off today to be fitted , I saw eddybo's new F-class rig and that bit Bat and long full bull barrel is gonna kinda humble my little M-7 Remmy.

I've got a LA Savage on the way and I think its gonna end up a full blown barrel blocked 7mm WSM or 7mm-300Win mag to shoot 180gr Bergers. Kinda like a big brother to the new 6x47 Lapua.

I have to admit these boys are talking about some small groups at 600yds , I think I'm gonna have to buckle down to compete.

Observed a 6x47 at the range "Impressive"

Went to the range yesterday morning for a pre-Super Bowl Shoot. A friend of mine just received his brand new 6MM AI, and he wanted to test it out and get it ready for our prime squirrel hunting season which will start at the end of February and go until it gets too hot. We can shoot squirrels year round. However, February to the end of May, is our best time to hunt these little varmints. It just gets to hot after May and the squirrels do not come out that much. It gets up to over 110 degrees in this area

Struck up a conversation with the person shooting next to us, and I asked him what he was shooting. He said "I am shooting a 6x47" It was a beautiful looking rifle. He had it built around a Nesika Model K Action, Krieger 28", 1-12 twist barrel, McMillan MBR Stock, Jewel Trigger and topped off with a nice Leupold M4 LRT 6.5x25x50mm Scope. He told me he had the rifle built and set up for varminting out to 500 yards.

He was using the 70grn Ballistic Tip and the 75grn V-Max. WOW!!! This rifle was a shooter! He shot two groups, with the 70grn BT, that measured .082 and .077 at 100 yards. He shot 4 groups, with the 75grn V-Max, that measured in the low to high .1's. It was a very impressive showing for his rifle.

My buddies 6MM AI performed really well too. His rifle is set up around a Remington 700 Action, Hart 30" 1-10 twist barrel, McMillan A-5 Stock, Basix trigger and topped with a Nightforce 5.5x22x56mm NXS scope. His rifle didn't perform as well as the guy with the 6x47. My buddies 6MM AI groups were in the high .2's to the low .3's, he too was impressed with the performance of the 6x47.

I was very impressed with the 6x47. This guy had no problems hitting the squirrel sized targets at 500 and 600 yards. He was not shooting through chronograph, so I don't know what kind of velocities he was getting. It sure looked liked the 70grn bullets were getting to the 500 and 600 yard targets quickly.

James, it looks like you made a good choice by going with the 6x47. Keep us informed on how it performs.

W.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.