24” 30cal help me decide

I run a 338 edge using a 700 modified action, CF barrel 26", thumbhole mcmillan, bdl, and has Vx3( for the moment) and I'm under 10#. Could go a bit less with a lighter stock, but won't do it given the recoil.
Current load is 96.5 gr of N570 plus a 260 hammer @3K. I can run 300 Berger's comfortably 2800+. This is my elk gun and it hits targets far harder than my 300 WM with the 215 berger (which is still impressive).

IMO - there's not a ton of difference between the big 30s at most hunting distances. They have ample energy regardless. BUT they don't have the thump of the larger 33 cal. AND neither the 30 or 33 cals are close to the mythological powers of the almighty 6.5 CM🤫.

I run a 338 edge using a 700 modified action, CF barrel 26", thumbhole mcmillan, bdl, and has Vx3( for the moment) and I'm under 10#. Could go a bit less with a lighter stock, but won't do it given the recoil.
Current load is 96.5 gr of N570 plus a 260 hammer @3K. I can run 300 Berger's comfortably 2800+. This is my elk gun and it hits targets far harder than my 300 WM with the 215 berger (which is still impressive).

IMO - there's not a ton of difference between the big 30s at most hunting distances. They have ample energy regardless. BUT they don't have the thump of the larger 33 cal. AND neither the 30 or 33 cals are close to the mythological powers of the almighty 6.5 CM🤫.
Haha 6.5 manbun is the ultimate!!

Why not a 300 WSM with the new 205 Elite Hunters or the tried and true 215 Bergers? Or a 30 Nosler? Either one throated properly would serve you well. A RUM doesn't make a ton of sense as they're so long.

Why not a 300 WSM with the new 205 Elite Hunters or the tried and true 215 Bergers? Or a 30 Nosler? Either one throated properly would serve you well. A RUM doesn't make a ton of sense as they're so long.
I'm having an 8 twist 30 nosler barrel chambered up for 220/245 Bergers.
It should do the trick with H1000

Ha, actually after talking to Ryan Furman on it I am going with a 30Nosler with a 0.200"-0.220" freebore. Bought 200pcs of ADG brass yesterday so that will likely shoot out the barrel.
Thanks to Rfurman24 for his knowledge and time....lots of great fellas on here.

Last edited:
Ha, actually after talking to Ryan Furman on it I am going with a 30Nosler with a 0.200"-0.220" freebore. Bought 200pcs of ADG brass yesterday so that will likely shoot out the barrel.
Thanks to Rfurman24 for his knowledge and time....lots of great fellas on here.
Nice!
I feel the 30 nosler case design is better than all of them, that 35 degree shoulder has proven to be the best all around in my experience and I've noticed a BIG difference in case growth between my 35 degree and 30 degree cases.
I had to trim my saum and 300 prc brass dang near every loading, while my wsms will go 4-5 between trimming.

I bought a bunch of Peterson brass for my 30 nos, between them and ADG the nos has awesome brass selection now.
I know the 300 PRC has Lapua brass on the way but I really don't think it's any better than our premium American made options above, plus I wasn't at all impressed with my prc or (30 Sherman mag)

Last edited:
Nice!
I feel the 30 nosler case design is better than all of them, that 35 degree shoulder has proven to be the best all around in my experience and I've noticed a BIG difference in case growth between my 35 degree and 30 degree cases.
I had to trim my saum and 300 prc brass dang near every loading, while my wsms will go 4-5 between trimming.

I bought a bunch of Peterson brass for my 30 nos, between them and ADG the nos has awesome brass selection now.
I know the 300 PRC has Lapua brass on the way but I really don't think it's any better than our premium American made options above, plus I wasn't at all impressed with my prc or (30 Sherman mag)
I looked hard at the PRC and PRC-Sherman Imp but the whole fireforming deal pushed me off when the Nosler was nearly equal to the SI. The case growth is one reason I was hesitant to go back with a Norma and the fire forming headache kept me from an improved.

I looked hard at the PRC and PRC-Sherman Imp but the whole fireforming deal pushed me off when the Nosler was nearly equal to the SI. The case growth is one reason I was hesitant to go back with a Norma and the fire forming headache kept me from an improved.
Good call
The 30 Nosler should equal or outperform the 30 SM, mine only got me 50 fps over the standard prc with the same components, and fire forming totally sucked
The case capacity was only 1 grain increase so I have to wonder how much more pressure it was running for that 50 fps??

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.