Help me decide Weatherby/Savage?

CRNA

Hello all. Just wanted some advice on my next gun. First off, I have never done long range shooting or hunting, but have been shooting and hunting my entire life and would really like to get into the sport.
I am looking for a very accurate out-of-the box rifle capable of less than MOA accuracy. If money were no object, then I would just buy a custom gun, but not really wanting to pay the hefty price for 0.5MOA precision, I would like to just get the best bang for my buck for my first long range gun. I plan on putting a Nightforce NXS 8-32 on whatever I buy. I am at least certain about that. I have read about the Weatherby Vanguard sub MOA on their website as well as the Savage Model 111 Hunter series FCNS. The Weatherby guarantees the accuracy, MSRP is $1000, but is made in Japan. The Savage doesn't guarantee accuracy, is about $350 cheaper, and is made in the US. I am still contemplating caliber, but most likely will get either 300 Win. Mag, or 7mm Mag.
I would really appreciate any insight that anyone could give me. I would also be open to suggestions to brands other than the two guns mentioned above. Thanks to all for your help.
Steve

Last edited:
Get a Stevens 200 in 300win or 7mmMag. Sell the stock and barrel. Buy a Stockade money saver stock and a prefit barrel from Jim Briggs.

You'll have a better gun than either the Weatherby or Savage LRH for cheaper.

Thank you guys for the information. I really appreciate it. So far, it looks like the Savage is going to get the nod. I will do more research and make my decision once I am confident that I am getting exactly what I want. I plan on going to some gun shops and get my hands on a few rifles to decide what is going to be the one. Thanks again for the help!

Get a Stevens 200 in 300win or 7mmMag. Sell the stock and barrel. Buy a Stockade money saver stock and a prefit barrel from Jim Briggs.

You'll have a better gun than either the Weatherby or Savage LRH for cheaper.

The more I play with Savages the better advice like this is!!! You just can't beat a custom barrel with a good chamber!!

I currently play with both the Vanguard and a Savage model 12 and both can be made into something great, the Savage needs a little bolt lift tuning and a ground recoil lug and that's about it, the Vanguard you have to take the pressure point out and seriously work over the trigger and bed. I really like both but the Savage is just easier to deal with. I really want to build of the Vanguard action for one of my next DIY builds, the one we have is so nice after tuning the trigger and bedding but the barrel stinks and stock stinks.

Thank you for all of the advice. I am still doing my homework. I called some dealers and found that the Savage model 111 Long RH is about $750. Called a Nightforce dealer today, and I was told the NXS 8-32x 56 with zero stop would be about $1775 + tax. Big chunk of change there!!

I'll echo what bigngreen said, but I will caution you that you need to actually touch and feel both to see which you prefer. I had a Savage Model 10 (made in 2003) which was very accurate, but I hated the bolt lift and feel. It was more than what a little "tweak" would fix and I didn't feel like sending it to Sharp Shooter Supply to get worked over ($125 + shipping both ways). So, I sold it. However, I've played with other Savages that were a few years newer that had a bolt that worked much, much nicer.

I love the bolt on my Weatherby Vanguard. It's slick as can be, and note that I've kept this one.

I'd bed both rifles (unless you buy an Accustock) but that's me.

I own a weatherby 30378. so I would favor the weatherby, but I did just get a 300 wsm browing X bolt , It has featherlight trigger, new recoil pad and clip. Also the double safty is nice. Having 3 brownings in the family everyone has shot below 1'' moa. Recoil is not bad either. Its a good carry around gun and if you hunt box blinds its shorter size is great. Other Idea Go to Christensenarms website You can a gun built one of thier hunter or extreme models. In choice of caliber actions. Its still a good chunk of change They start around 1,800.00, but you get to decide a little bit about your rifle with upgrades. I had them put a new barrel, timny trigger,accurize theaction on my accumark 30-378 and I was shooting .5 moa at 100 with factory ammo even after 7-8shots. The gun did what they said it would. You will find big slections on bullets with 30cal. Goodluckgun)lightbulb

CRNA,

I had a Weatherby Vanguard. Don't buy one to "fix up" as the action is "Okay" but nothing special. Mine showed clear indications of greater wear on one bolt lug than the other. It shot that way too. Heavier loads with bigger bullets didn't shoot well. It was a 30.06 that I tried all kinds of loads with but never could get inside 1 MOA. I put a 22-250 barrel on it and could shoot 3/4" groups with it if I put the gun in a vise at the range. After 400 rounds or so the action was noticeably wearing on the bolt lugs and bolt face. I sold it and bought some Savages and have not looked back...

I like both and have seen both shoot incredible custom rifle groups at my range. I would go with the one i could get the best deal on.

I would get the 300 ultramag though if you are going into long range. It is very hard to beat at long range even with the big 338's. The difference is it needs a muzzle brake and the other two you mentioned do not if that is important to you.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.