CFE123 or Varget, which one is more accurate for the 7mm-08?

The only way to know which propellant provides the performance you seek is to do comparative work ups using both powders in your rifle(s) with the other selected components. Each rifle is an individual and will show you its favorites.

Varget @ 45gr (my Rem 700 7mm-08 w/ 24" factory 9.25 twist) under 120 NBT goes 3000fps in dam near same hole.

Last edited:
I have decided on IMR4166 to be my 7mm-08 powder of choice. Good case fill, good temp stability, good accuracy and combined with Hornady's 150gr ELD-X has been a one-shot killer on mule deer and elk for me. This is what I'm loading in my little Kimber Montana.

Bob
1C41624A-8D7A-4A8E-A223-A154A27330D8.jpeg

Like Old Elk Hunter said, do a load work up and see what you like. CFE is not as temp stable. In my experience it with .308 using 168-175 pills, which isn't a good comparison for you because you're going to run lighter bullets, I didn't see any velocity gains. But I do have a load to use when my Varget (Unicorn dust) runs out, I can replace it with Shooters World or CFE...

So I have been thinking about trying out CFE223 on one of my 7mm-08's. I want to push the light 120gr, 139gr and 140gr bullets a little faster.

From what I've researched it gives about 50 to 80 more fps than Varget with the mentioned bullets. On this rifle I haven't tried Varget yet, and I am curious if I should try it, or try CFE223.

Lastly, how clean is CFE223? I think I've read it's pretty dirty, but not sure.

Please post your experience with the 7mm-08 or a similar cartridge like the 308 Win, 260 Rem, etc.

Thanks in advance
I shoot a Savage Model 10 FCK for 500 yard shoots. I typically use 155 and 168 grainers. My powder of choice is Varget, with RL15 as a close second choice. The advantage of Varget is consistency in various temperatures. 44 grains chrono's out at 2850 for the 155's and 2750 for the 168's. If I load correctly and hold my tongue just right, I can get 1.5 inch groups at 500 yds. I use CFE 223 in my Ruger American 223. 46 grains gives me a velocity of 2900 with 68 grain bullets. Clover leaf accuracy. I think CFE 223 and BL-C2 burn a little dirty

I shoot a Savage Model 10 FCK for 500 yard shoots. I typically use 155 and 168 grainers. My powder of choice is Varget, with RL15 as a close second choice. The advantage of Varget is consistency in various temperatures. 44 grains chrono's out at 2850 for the 155's and 2750 for the 168's. If I load correctly and hold my tongue just right, I can get 1.5 inch groups at 500 yds. I use CFE 223 in my Ruger American 223. 46 grains gives me a velocity of 2900 with 68 grain bullets. Clover leaf accuracy. I think CFE 223 and BL-C2 burn a little dirty
Correction: 26 grains of CFE 223 for my 223 rem.

CFE 223 burns clean enough in both the rifles I use it for, a little bit cleaner than the Vihtavouri n-150 powder and definitely cleaner than 2520, I don't appear to get copper fouling at all so that's another plus.
One thing I've noticed with it is its muzzle blast appears markedly louder than the other two powders I've mentioned.
Velocities bracket the makers claim despite my 223 only having a 22" barrel.
The property I really appreciate is that it meters so accurately, it doesn't vary in weight from one charge to another, but I seldom load more than about 80 cartridges at one time.
Using light for caliber bullets shows little variation shot to shot velocity wise. It also works well with mid to heavy weight bullets.
I can't speak for it regarding temperature stability as we seldom get over 80 degrees in my neck of the woods and seldom less than 23 degrees in winter.
It's my go to powder for my 308 and 223 but please note I use S&B primers exclusively basically because they appear to have a sharper corner radius than some of your local brands so I think if the primer doesn't work as much then maybe the pocket will last longer, I may well be wrong but they all go bang and that's the main thing.

I have tried it in my 308 win.
It seemed as others mentioned to go from good to high pressure pretty quick, probably related to temperature.

It did well velocity wise with the heavier bullets, 180, 200.20X, 215 Bergers, but accuracy was best with the 180s and below.
Best accuracy was with 152s, velocity was not overwhelmingly faster that Varget. With Varget you get the better temp stability.

I use CFE223 behind 120 Barnes TTSX for my granddaughter's Tikka 7mm-08. We only do 3 shot groups and always between 3/8" and just under 1" at the 100 meter range. I have averaged 3,097 fps. Never bothered tweeking the COL. This is good enough for her hunting.
Never saw pressure signs and it's just as clean as the Varget I tested. More accurate than the Varget tests as well.

Best of luck with your decision!

My 7-08 is a single shot pistol, but I can tell you Varget is the best with 140s out of it's 14" barrel. Varget and IMR4166 tie with the 130 Speers and IMR4166 wins with the 120s. I started handloading for it with H4895 and it was good but not as great as Varget. CFE223 gives me a lot of blast and flash out of the 14" barrel with lower velocities, I won't try it again in this firearm.