What Are The Differences Between The 7mm-08/7mm-08 SAW/7mm-08AI?

Savage 12BVSS

I'm figuring the saw avoids fire forming, the ackley would probably have the most case capacity, and for an established 7mm-08 shooter both would require new die's. My question would be not shooting competition and not having interest above 150gr is either worth the added expense (dies and rechamber)? Seems if anything the 284 would be the better upgrade with a short throat reamer for money spent, dies again and brass as well (working with 2.950 mag length). Have two 7mm-08's now and one more 7mm 1 in 9" barrel to chamber and put a gun around. Looking at options and not trying to start contention at all, just want opinions and experiences on direction, anything I'm not considering?

I would do a .284 if you're looking to upgrade from a standard 7mm-08. It will do 3000FPS+ with 150s at 2.950". No fireforming or custom dies needed. It has good brass from Norma and Peterson and it's readily available. Mine is throated for 175-180s and does 2830-2850 with them. If you chambered one specifically for 150s then it would do 2950-3000FPS no problem.

After using the standard 7mm-08 for 30+ years I dont see a need really for more, especially with the newer powders but thats just me.

However I am curious to see how much more juice you can get of the other variants. I'm thinking the AI version another 100fps as with most AI's? Almost matching a 280 Rem?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.