First 7MM-08 handload / 150gn, Varget test loads

• Thread starter Deleted member 107796
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 107796

I'm ready to reload some 7mm-08 with 150gn Barnes TTSX and wanted some opinions on the test range of powder weights I've decided on, given the range of max values I'm seeing in my LoadbooksUSA data. I found the max for the Hodgdon published values for this bullet, 39.7gn at 2658 fps, anemic, compared to the max for Sierra 42.3gn at 2800 fps. I've decided on Varget vs IMR4350 for less powder volume and loading for a Ruger American 22".
Thanks for any input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't reloaded that 150ttsx in my 708 but loaded of 150 "s Sierra 154 Hornadys and they liked h4350 , Varget I use with liter weights ,120"sn140s , also use Winchester w/w/c & Remington r/p/c but it pays to try diff combos to see what your rifles prefers , my older Barnes manual #3 likes H380,H4350 & W760 powders with 150 GN bullets theirs R/P brass Fed/GM210 primers in a 24 inch bbl thks .as you know case volume varies with different brands of brass ,Imr4350 is great powder also !,gd luck thks

I don't load that bullet or 150 grn, but extrapolating from what I do load with Varget your chosen range looks reasonable to me. I would personally add a 39.0, as your 40.5 could be getting up there re pressure.

This is the feedback I'm looking for. The brass is Remington.
I concur that adding 39.0 is a good idea. My other 150gn is a Swift Scirroco and although I love that bullet, I found that it can get a bit squirrely at higher velocities.

The other powders are more bulky n fill the case more, I've always jump my Barnes bullets 0.50 thousands and it's worked great ,that Swift Scirroco likes the same jump and even a lot more just something I've researched by reading n talking to great reloaders that use them more then me .

The other powders are more bulky n fill the case more, I've always jump my Barnes bullets 0.50 thousands and it's worked great ,that Swift Scirroco likes the same jump and even a lot more just something I've researched by reading n talking to great reloaders that use them more then me .

There's something new to learn. I've been trying to get close to the lands, as much as feasible. I'll give this a try.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.