Cerakote color pattern suggestions for rifle stock

USAFRet

I am taking one of my rifles to get a cerakote job done at the local custom shop. Single color cerakote - rifle, stock, scope, etc. is $275. Any patterns over 1 color starts running pretty costly. I think he said three colors on the stock, like a camo pattern, doubles the price. With another build going, just can't afford that.

They have a titanium color I am doing the action and scope. It is like a darker SS color. Kind of stuck on the stock color. I am thinking a dark green. Any suggestions or folks that have pics is appreciated to get some ideas.

What stock did you go with? I can't remember on the other thread. My suggestion would be save the money and sponge paint it your self. I've thoroughly enjoyed doing a couple different stocks and I think I have 45 bucks invested in sponges and paint and about 3 total hours of my time maybe a bit more. You can also hydro dip yourself. I bought a kit for 60 bucks. Haven't gotten around to it yet but I will more thank likely do it once we get our comp rifles finished. There are many camo templates on line that would allow you to paint your self as well. Paging @lancetkenyon. Here is one of mine.

Attachments

• IMG_7103.jpeg
    IMG_7103.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 212
  • IMG_7102.jpeg
    IMG_7102.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 226
What stock did you go with? I can't remember on the other thread. My suggestion would be save the money and sponge paint it your self. I've thoroughly enjoyed doing a couple different stocks and I think I have 45 bucks invested in sponges and paint and about 3 total hours of my time maybe a bit more. You can also hydro dip yourself. I bought a kit for 60 bucks. Haven't gotten around to it yet but I will more thank likely do it once we get our comp rifles finished. There are many camo templates on line that would allow you to paint your self as well. Paging @lancetkenyon. Here is one of mine.
I did a krylon paint job and let's just say, it does not exactly have the durability I am looking for.

tempImagemmt1pc.png

Rustoleum flat green, Montana marble webbing black and rust oleum dead flat topcoat. Baked with hairdryer. Flash is washing it out but really like this green. I wouldn't throw it in the bottom of a duck boat but plenty durable. Actually I would what the heck! I had GS do my first custom rifle in a brown was excellent look.

I am taking one of my rifles to get a cerakote job done at the local custom shop. Single color cerakote - rifle, stock, scope, etc. is $275. Any patterns over 1 color starts running pretty costly. I think he said three colors on the stock, like a camo pattern, doubles the price. With another build going, just can't afford that.

They have a titanium color I am doing the action and scope. It is like a darker SS color. Kind of stuck on the stock color. I am thinking a dark green. Any suggestions or folks that have pics is appreciated to get some ideas.
I always do 3 myself it seems but I do my own. They are ok. Not cool like some stencil work but this is an example.

IMG_8373.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6704.jpeg
    IMG_6704.jpeg
    493.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1383.jpeg
    IMG_1383.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0310.jpeg
    IMG_0310.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_7243.jpeg
    IMG_7243.jpeg
    488.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 58388951352__D67A7040-A35B-442A-89DE-4F4AE3D3A15E.jpeg
    58388951352__D67A7040-A35B-442A-89DE-4F4AE3D3A15E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 126
I myself was never much for putting paint on any rifle unless it's a full-blown benchrest rig that gets automotive paint and a clearcoat for pure aesthetic value. In any hunting rifle, there is no moose, deer, elk, coyote or anything else that going to say, "hey there's a rifle over there 100 yards away and I see it!" And as the distance increases, even less of a chance. As long as the rifle isn't white, yellow or some other bright color, the paint jobs are just pretty for us to look at. Animals key on movement primarily. I'd leave it alone. That way when you get a scratch or ding from using it, it's not as big of a deal. Paint won't make it shoot any better. Spend your money on components and practice more. Just my opinion.

I myself was never much for putting paint on any rifle unless it's a full-blown benchrest rig that gets automotive paint and a clearcoat for pure aesthetic value. In any hunting rifle, there is no moose, deer, elk, coyote or anything else that going to say, "hey there's a rifle over there 100 yards away and I see it!" And as the distance increases, even less of a chance. As long as the rifle isn't white, yellow or some other bright color, the paint jobs are just pretty for us to look at. Animals key on movement primarily. I'd leave it alone. That way when you get a scratch or ding from using it, it's not as big of a deal. Paint won't make it shoot any better. Spend your money on components and practice more. Just my opinion.
I've seen groundhogs eating my garden 100 yards away and as soon as anyone grabs the rifle in the corner beside the door ,it disappears before the door is open(sliding full glass doors).Them wildlife animals see better and are smarter than you think, lol.
Just saying my experience

For $275 you can buy yourself an airbrush kit, stencils and a duracoat kit and DIY. I did this with one of rifles and it was blast, not to mention it is more durable than a rattle can job. You could probably do the same with Cerakote, they now have paint that doesn't have to be baked on to cure and its actually stronger stuff, but it takes a couple days to cure.

Attachments

• 20230416_142047.jpg
    20230416_142047.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 112
I've seen groundhogs eating my garden 100 yards away and as soon as anyone grabs the rifle in the corner beside the door ,it disappears before the door is open(sliding full glass doors).Them wildlife animals see better and are smarter than you think, lol.
Just saying my experience
You think they knew you had a rifle? If you were grabbing your pee shooter....oops pea shooter instead, they probably would have stood still and 🤣.

Last edited:
I suspect the groundhogs see the movement behind the glass, not the shape or color of the rifle :)
Then why the groundhog continue to eat while 4 people are moving inside behind glass?
You think they knew you had a rifle? 🤣
Yes. The ground hog would run as soon as anyone picked up rifle. And only when the rifle moved. Again just my experience. YMMV