center feed clip shuffle 7wsm

grit

I'm having a 7wsm built, and want to use a long action (168/180 begers). It seems an HS center feed clip is the best way to get a long action to feed reliably.

I hunt with horses a lot, and don't like to have a round chambered while the rifle's on the horse (I have a few working brain cells). When I get down to hunt I chamber a round. When I return I like to push the unused round back into the magazine. With a center feed clip like this, you must remove the round, remove the clip, sling the rifle, put the load back in the clip, then put the clip back in the rifle. This probably only bothers me because I'm used to just pushing the round down. But, it is annoying.

What I've been doing, with the one center feed clipped rifle I own, is to feed from my ammo sleeve rather than the magazine. Then pull the round out and stick it back in the ammo sleeve. This works fine except when you have to chamber a round in a hurry, and then don't get to shoot.

Soooo, does anyone have suggestions on making a long action 7wsm feed reliably without a center feed clip, or suggestions on how to make the center feed clip not such a nuiscance.

i have a 7mm wsm built on a remington 700 action. i have the hs presission center feed. i agree its a pain, so i just bought an extra clip then i just switckclips and load the other clip when i have time.you dont have to sling the rifle and reload. just switch clips...

Grit

Just take a little tension off the sides of the mag opening
by bending them out where they will still hold the rounds
but you can still push a round down through the opening

The 378 size Weatherby cases all center feed and will spring
out to allow you to push a round back down into the magazene.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll get the exta clip, and try modifying the feed lips.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.