Savage Stagger to Center Feed mod

BrentM

Not sure how many people have attempted to do such a thing or even why. That is to take a stagger feed savage action and mate it with the modern center feed stocks. The advantage is to have drop bottom metal with hinged floor plate or a drop out magazine.

Well, I have a couple of actions that were set up with the blind mag and stagger feed which is not my prefered feeding of ammo method. Since the answers on the forums tended to be scattered I threw caution to the wind and modified the action to fit the CF modern stock configuration.

Here are the results. Bottom line if you are like me and have actions you want to use or could buy but don't, this is an answer if you willing to try it. I am working another rifle that will look much like the 6.5 SAUM I did a few months ago. Hoping it turns out just as nice.

Attachments

• Action mod 3.jpg
    Action mod 3.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 801
  • Action mod 2.jpg
    Action mod 2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 647
  • Action mod 1.jpg
    Action mod 1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 891
Not sure how many people have attempted to do such a thing or even why. That is to take a stagger feed savage action and mate it with the modern center feed stocks. The advantage is to have drop bottom metal with hinged floor plate or a drop out magazine.

Well, I have a couple of actions that were set up with the blind mag and stagger feed which is not my prefered feeding of ammo method. Since the answers on the forums tended to be scattered I threw caution to the wind and modified the action to fit the CF modern stock configuration.

Here are the results. Bottom line if you are like me and have actions you want to use or could buy but don't, this is an answer if you willing to try it. I am working another rifle that will look much like the 6.5 SAUM I did a few months ago. Hoping it turns out just as nice.

Check out CDI Precision Gunworks' site.

Check out CDI Precision Gunworks' site.

CDI makes some nice bottom metal and will inlet the stock for their stuff. Nice offer to inlet a stock for free though. Pretty simple to do for them.

I like Pacific tool stuff too.

In my case I wanted to use the current savage stock and accustocks or stocks available for CF from any aftermarket company. I can inlet the stock if I need to with a press and mill vise. This action can not swap out to any CF stock configuration desired.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.