Winchester mod 70 Push feed vs Controlled round feed?

samson

Is there a difference in barrels or threading between the 2 of these. In other words, can you use a pushfeed action on a barrel that came off a controlled feed action. I am selling a factory barrel that came off of a controlled round action/bolt and my buddy wants to know if it will fit his push feed bolt and action?

No; not interchangeable. But I think their barrel tenon thread is the same diameter and pitch but have different lengths.

Push feed bolts mate to a flat faced barrel breech. Controlled feed bolts mate to a coned faced barrel breech with a cutout for the extractor.

On the CRF vs. CRPF action subject;
Which to people perfer and why?
Are there any benefits to one over the other?
I have a CRF that's as smooth as silk, but no experience with a CRPF.
Thanks,
(sorry to hijack your post, looks like you got your info)

[ QUOTE ]
Which to people perfer and why?

Are there any benefits to one over the other?

[/ QUOTE ]

People who want the fired case not to eject until the bolt's all the way back which makes grabbing the empty case very easy will choose the controlled round feed style (or pre '64 classic feed). Their ejector doesn't touch the case until the bolt's about 1/8th inch from its stop. And shorter round versions in the classic long action have their bolt stop such that it contacts a spacer on the extractor ring so the bolt lug doesn't get peened out of full contact with the receiver's shoulder in rapid fire. And their bolt camming rib tends to make these actions smoother to operate in rapid fire (shots 10 or less seconds apart).

Single loading direct into the chamber is easier with the newer push feed (or post '64) action style. Its extractor slides over the case rim much easier. Some people claim primer ignition is more uniform in this newer push-feed version as the spring loaded ejector in the bolt face pushes the chambered round hard against its headspace stop (belt on magnum cases and shoulder in rimless bottleneck cases; both only when case is correctly sized) and holds it there while the firing pin smacks the primer.

Intrinsic accuracy wise, there appears to be no difference. Rifles have been and are being built with these box magazine actions whose accuracy equals that of single-shot custom actions.

Trivia time....in the 1950's, Winchester made a couple dozen pre '64 classic receivers without the magazine cutout; single-shot actions. Their bottom was solid steel. Very heavy, too.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.