Carbon Cleaner Test Picture Heavy

Here's my test......had these half's setting around so I experimented

before:
E781F718-3EB2-4844-9054-D20B829CF6B7.jpeg
After:
7FED7FE1-2361-4197-B473-783D148550BB.jpeg E776B744-0DA6-4106-81D1-CB15D357E463.jpeg
I'd say this would be a good illustration of what works and what don't. I'd say the boretech line of things and clr works the best here. I didn't have any carb or brake clean with me, I'll have to go to the shop and get a can but the results surprised me a bit. I've been using clr for a little while since Erik Cortina uses it.

Last edited:
Yeah, since watching Ed Cortina on it, I've been meaning to grab some CLR to try. The last vid I watched, he said it worked with absolutely no damage whatsoever on stainless steel, even when soaked overnight, but could not vouch for how it would be on other steels. I've been trying to think of a way to test that. (Don't have any hunks of 4340 or 4350 steel lying around just now...)

Vettepilot

Yeah, since watching Ed Cortina on it, I've been meaning to grab some CLR to try. The last vid I watched, he said it worked with absolutely no damage whatsoever on stainless steel, even when soaked overnight, but could not vouch for how it would be on other steels. I've been trying to think of a way to test that. (Don't have any hunks of 4340 or 4350 steel lying around just now...)

Vettepilot
I actually tried my SS brake in clr over night and it kinda messed up the finish in a couple small places.....now, I don't know what stainless was used and it was fixable with a little steel wool and elbow grease. I watched it basically "cook" the powder residue out and off, it was cool stuff to watch. I think next time I will use diluted clr, like a 50/50 mix with water. 🤷🏻‍♂️

DARN!!

In search of the perfect mix for cleaning, I mixed some Kroil up with some Ed's Red. Then I started pouring in some CLR, and BOOM!! Blew the roof clean off my loading room, and messed up my hair!!

:D :D😉😉

Just kidding. Needed some levity after reading today's election news... We are SO screwed....

Vettepilot

DARN!!

In search of the perfect mix for cleaning, I mixed some Kroil up with some Ed's Red. Then I started pouring in some CLR, and BOOM!! Blew the roof clean off my loading room, and messed up my hair!!

:D :D😉😉

Just kidding. Needed some levity after reading today's election news... We are SO screwed....

Vettepilot
Lol oh lord........you really made me wonder there for a bit!!!!

Don't believe the fake news, the fake news does NOT give the Presidency to anyone, they may feel, act and think they do but they don't!!!
When President Trump says he's done then he's done, then is the time to say we are much worse than "SCREWED", some other words come to mind😢. We are going to be in a bad way for awhile if indeed Trump doesn't get back in! Life goes on but it will be tough knowing how they won.

Here's my test......had these half's setting around so I experimented

before:
View attachment 223734
After:
View attachment 223735 View attachment 223733
I'd say this would be a good illustration of what works and what don't. I'd say the boretech line of things and clr works the best here. I didn't have any carb or brake clean with me, I'll have to go to the shop and get a can but the results surprised me a bit. I've been using clr for a little while since Erik Cortina uses it.
I like your test. No arguing about if the heat/pressure/chemical makeup is different from a barrel as with my test.

I like your test. No arguing about if the heat/pressure/chemical makeup is different from a barrel as with my test.
Thank you. I cut some of these shells in half to make sure when turning necks that I wasn't getting things too thin. So, I experimented after seeing your test with other cleaners and such with those half's, then I ran out of those and I cut a few more shells in half that I blew the necks off of getting things a little too thin lol.

Vetterpilot , chlorinated brake cleaner has Tri clore in it so if it gets heated it turns to phosgene gas plus it penetrates into the metal and turns some metals brittle . It's hard on your nervous system , lungs and heart if not used in a well ventilated area and is absorbed through your skin . As a lot of us clean our rifles in our reloading rooms in our basements we would expose the rest of the occupants of our homes to it . So then if our cold air return for our furnace pulled it in and heated the fumes we put phosgene out as a byproduct through out our homes phosgene is used to kill P-dogs in their tunnels and was used by Hittlers guys in their gas chambers . Just some thoughts as nobody else replied to your question earlier in this post I thought that I would . I was doing a welding test once and while welding a guy sprayed me and my coupon with CRC brak-kleen It nearly killed me my coupon got full of porosity and had to be thrown out to start over and the side effects lasted for months in my body . It takes the oxygen out of your air causes your heart to race and then leaves you with tremors that come and go, an irregular heart beat for months .

Vetterpilot , chlorinated brake cleaner has Tri clore in it so if it gets heated it turns to phosgene gas plus it penetrates into the metal and turns some metals brittle . It's hard on your nervous system , lungs and heart if not used in a well ventilated area and is absorbed through your skin . As a lot of us clean our rifles in our reloading rooms in our basements we would expose the rest of the occupants of our homes to it . So then if our cold air return for our furnace pulled it in and heated the fumes we put phosgene out as a byproduct through out our homes phosgene is used to kill P-dogs in their tunnels and was used by Hittlers guys in their gas chambers . Just some thoughts as nobody else replied to your question earlier in this post I thought that I would . I was doing a welding test once and while welding a guy sprayed me and my coupon with CRC brak-kleen It nearly killed me my coupon got full of porosity and had to be thrown out to start over and the side effects lasted for months in my body . It takes the oxygen out of your air causes your heart to race and then leaves you with tremors that come and go, an irregular heart beat for months .
Very very interesting! Most of that I'm sure no one else probably knew is why it never got responded to. Thanks

No idea that crap was so bad...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts