Official Hammer bullets Terminal Performance (picture heavy)

First kill with the HHT bullet. Shooting a Howa Super Lite 6.5 CM 20" barrel shooting the 118 HHT @ 2795 fps. Shot a whitetail buck at 175 yards thru the shoulder on a slight quartering away shot. Impact velocity would have been about 2570 fps. Bullet zipped thru and left a small exit wound (see photo). Did not see any sign of trauma from shed petals in the chest cavity. Internal damage thru the lungs was not very impressive. This may be a better bullet for a 6.5 PRC or other set up pushing > 3000fps or perhaps in larger calibers. I think I'll be looking at a different bullet for this rifle.

View attachment 512360
How far did he go after the shot?

308win124 hammer hunters. just shy of 150 yards. Exit shoulder.

Attachments

• 20231116_195541.jpg
    20231116_195541.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 61
6.5 prc 124hh 605 yards complete pass through. She ran about 40 yards but was already dead just pure adrenaline. Deer are incredible. My Daughter shot a small 8pt buck last year with a 300prc with a 212gr @ 230 yards and it blew half his vitals out the other side and he still ran 20 yards. We were both shocked because we could visually see the aftermath during the shot.
20231114_215232.jpg
20231114_224722.jpg

IMG_1949.jpeg
IMG_2003.jpeg
IMG_2001.jpeg

I shot two does tonight with my 6mm creedmoor and the 88 hammer hunter doing 3370fps at the muzzle. The shot was 50 yards and I hit her center of the ribs. It trashed one lung and tore a nice hole through the other and tore a chunk out of the back of the heart. I think a petal went back into the guts because there was guts all through the cavity of this deer. Golfball sized entrance and a small exit with two petals exiting through a rib. She ran 30 and crashed. The next doe a stood around too long with only her neck and head exposed. I was steady enough and she was still enough I elected a headshot at the base of the ear and she died quickly. The 88 left a quarter sized exit on the opposite side.
I'm very happy with the performance of these like every other hammer I've shot.

"Huge" south carolina coastal doe last night.
6.5 creed, 124HH, 106 yard shot.
She was DRT. Entrance clipped the shoulder blade, was under the spine but broke some stuff on the bottom of the spine so she went straight down. Lungs were basically cut in half.

IMG_9807.jpeg

exit is the left side
IMG_9813.jpeg

exit side
IMG_9812.jpeg

In response too you shooting 120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips, my best hunting buddy and I both built 6.5-06s 1-8 twist 40 yrs ago and shot 120- gr Bt My friend knocked a big buck down , he liked the high shoulder shot , the buck got back on his feet and ran off , we looked for hours and never found anything . The difference you will find is you will get an exit 99 percent plus of the time ,and no worries of bullet blow up on shoulder shots . I now shoot Hammers .
I had a very simular failure on a pig in coastal CA. The thing that needs to be said is, 40 years ago Nosler sold a "Solid Base" bullet that looked exactly like todays Ballistic Tip. Todays Nosler Ballistic Tips are a great bullet. I will say thast my son talked me into trying 308, 165gn Ballistic loads for our 308 gas guns. I am convinced that todays Ballistic Tips are way, way better than the old Nosler "Solid Base" slugs.

I know, I know, go be poor somewhere else.

View attachment 515463View attachment 515464View attachment 515465
I shot two does tonight with my 6mm creedmoor and the 88 hammer hunter doing 3370fps at the muzzle. The shot was 50 yards and I hit her center of the ribs. It trashed one lung and tore a nice hole through the other and tore a chunk out of the back of the heart. I think a petal went back into the guts because there was guts all through the cavity of this deer. Golfball sized entrance and a small exit with two petals exiting through a rib. She ran 30 and crashed. The next doe a stood around too long with only her neck and head exposed. I was steady enough and she was still enough I elected a headshot at the base of the ear and she died quickly. The 88 left a quarter sized exit on the opposite side.
I'm very happy with the performance of these like every other hammer I've shot.
Love that rifle! Had one in 22-250 and was a tack driver off the shelf.

7" twist is certainly enough for the 124g HH. Being knocked off axis during flight making the bullet hit with a yaw would be the most likely culprit. There is one other possibility. If the bullet got dropped at some point and distorted the meplat, closing the hollow point.

Just got grins you might manually check the twist on that barrel and confirm it is the advertised rate. It would not be the first one that wasn't. We just built a 25 Nosler that was supposed to be a 7" twist. Turned out to be 7 3/8" and wouldn't stabilize the bullet we were working with.
Like to hear more about 25 nosler and hammer bullet?