Proof Carbon VS Steel deflection test.

Rhovee

There has been quite the ongoing discussion about Carbon barrels VS Steel. I have and still own Proof and HCA carbon barrels along with heavy steel. The deflection test speaks for itself. A carbon barrel has about the same deflection as a similar weight steel barrel. Not size.

Attachments

• 7E9D8843-317D-4AEB-BEAC-ECDB16D2A280.jpeg
    7E9D8843-317D-4AEB-BEAC-ECDB16D2A280.jpeg
    335.7 KB · Views: 461
Very Interesting. I never could understand how CF was supposed to be stiffer then steel. Even weight for weight. Now size for size I am not surprised at all to find the steel stiffer. To me the benefits of a CF barrel is weight. and thats about it.

I still will use one for a build though. Just for the weight reduction.

Last edited:
What I started doing was getting a proof carbon and equal contour steel barrel chambered at the same time. Throw her in a barrel vice and switch them out. I'm not known for patience when it's time
To let a barrel cool down.

Realize Proof Carbon wrapped is different from other Carbon Bbl manufacturers. So, use Proof and a steel. Add another manufacturers carbon barrel too.
I predict the Proof barrel will be the coolest, then steel, then the other. Would like to see it.

There has been quite the ongoing discussion about Carbon barrels VS Steel. I have and still own Proof and HCA carbon barrels along with heavy steel. The deflection test speaks for itself. A carbon barrel has about the same deflection as a similar weight steel barrel. Not size.
But, does this prove that the two materials react with the same vibration in response to an explosion in the chamber?
And how flexible is a full carbon barrel around a stainless liner and lands, such as is mf'd by Christensen arms?

Proof Research wraps their CF barrels in a "Maypole ribbon" fashion with intertwined criss-cross CF strands in a resin matrix. This is the same process used in Sweden by SWIX to make their CF cross country racing ski poles. I have a pair of those XC carbon fiber poles from my XC racing days and they are far stiffer than aluminum poles.

So I put my money on Proof for the stiffest AND most uniform CF wrapped barrels. Christensen may make decent barrels but I'd bet their stiffness is not as uniform as Proof, and uniformity means consistency.

So what if your all steel bull barrel is as stiff as a proof barrel? Well for one it will not be as cool as the Proof barrel nor as light. If you shoot PRS do you really want to carry a heavy bull barrel around?

Eric B.
BTW, it has been shown that heat, far more than friction, is the major cause of throat and land erosion in barrels so less heat = longer barrel life.

So what if your all steel bull barrel is as stiff as a proof barrel? Well for one it will not be as cool as the Proof barrel nor as light. If you shoot PRS do you really want to carry a heavy bull barrel around?

Eric B.

You mean the bull barrel that is TWICE as stiff...and you can't make an assessment on "cool" by the outside of the barrel.

I was the one who performed these measurements. First off all this is, is a measurement of how much a barrel sagged when hanging a weight off the muzzle. Thats it. In no way should anyone read into it any more than that. What this showed is that a Proof heavy sendaro (.930" @ the muzzle) was pretty close to the fluted #3 (.630" @ the muzzle) They were also pretty close on weight. I tested a #4 and it was .027", so considerable stiffer. If nothing else this should help some get over the stiffer=better mentality.

Hanging a weight can show cantilevered stiffness of a barrel. But there may well be a resistance to movement all the way down a CF wrapped barrel in the frequency created by a bullet's travel.

Might take some high speed video to show this.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.