Proof vs Christensen Carbon

I think all of the Sherman & SS cartridges are 40º shoulder, if I remember correctly...
I would like to talk to Rich Sherman, if he has at least .300 neck length on the 6.5 Sherman and .325 neck length on the 280 Sherman; he ranks amongst Brian Litz and George Gardner as far as a great cartridge case designer. As far as cycling in AR frames, I think there is a problem with pressure spikes in 40° shoulder in comparison to 30° shoulders, I may be wrong. These are scientific research issues that I am trying to find out.
1 1/2 grains of powder sometimes, is all it takes to take the side of your face out in different temperature conditions.

Rich is a member here. Send him a Private Message. His username is "elkaholic" (all lowercase, no quotes).
I already know that Rich is a good moral man. I need to know the best AR frame performers in 6.5, 7, and 7.62mm for battle rifles with the least erosion on barrel throats and mechanical injury. Cycling is important as in the 7mm SAW. DOD doesn't spend money on weapons that don't pan out.

I already know that Rich is a good moral man. I need to know the best AR frame performers in 6.5, 7, and 7.62mm for battle rifles with the least erosion on barrel throats and mechanical injury. Cycling is important as in the 7mm SAW. DOD doesn't spend money on weapons that don't pan out.
Are you trying to cash-in on the DOD looking for a new DMR cartridge? Or do you work for the DOD? Because I have several unannounced and custom designed wildcat cartridges specifically designed for AR15 platform that require little more than a barrel and bolt swap that would be amazing, and would possibly outperform the 7.62 NATO in a smaller package. The reason I say possibly is because I don't have any money to make them a reality...Unless the DOD wants to back me for components, dies, reamers, rifle parts, etc... and then I'll do all the research myself.

Do you think the carbon dissipated the heat or just insulated it from reaching the surface?

Just checked again...

Running some hot rodded 6.5s pushed by RL26 and the carbon wrap was hotter than the metal barrel end or the barrel nut junction...I really have no idea...

Last edited:
Just checked again...

Running some hot rodded 6.5s pushed by RL26 and the carbon wrap was hotter than the metal barrel end or the barrel nut junction...I really have no idea...
If it were an all steel barrel, the barrel would be hotter in the middle than both ends also. So not really very telling. My steel barrels are normally hottest from the throat forward over the next 8 inches. That's where the temperature and pressure are both highest inside the bore. Same location were heat checking/firecracking show in the bore with a bore scope.
So feeling the muzzle steel and the barrel at the action nut is the same as feeling the coolest portion of any barrel. You'll need a steel barrel of same dimensions, caliber, and cartridge, exposed to equal rates of fire, firing the same loads at the same rates. Then touch the barrels at the same locations...
Or the CF barrel manufacturer could just provide the tested thermal conductivity value for their carbon fiber material. And then we could all know, provided a legitimate lab tested and determined the insulation value of the CF material. But the labs can serve as hired guns - same as attorneys.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.