Proof research vs Christensen arms carbon fiber barrels

I have a Proof on one rifle and two Bartleins on another couple of rifles and the Proof does not shoot any better than the other two. You pay much more for the carbon and there is not a significant savings in weight. So, I would not do it again.

I know one guy who has shot them both a lot and he's changed everything over to the Christancen arms, they both had some crappy product early on but Christancen has put a lot into the barrel manufacturing in the last year both in equipment and personel, the two barrels are made differently. I'm going to use both over this season and test them on a bench test rifle before I make up my mind.

No savings in weight? Your bartlein barrels must be very light contour if they are the same weight as the proof carbon barrel...? I have personally seen very good accuracy so far with the two proof barrels I have. A .308 and a 280ai that both shoot in the .2s at 200yds. Not to say other barrels won't I have several other steel barrels from pac-nor, bartlein, and Krieger that will shoot the same. The main benefit of the proof carbon is that you get the stiffness of a sendero with the weight of a light sporter. The barrel will also not have as drastic of a POI shift as the light weight steel when shooting long, rapid strings of fire.

I know one guy who has shot them both a lot and he's changed everything over to the Christancen arms, they both had some crappy product early on but Christancen has put a lot into the barrel manufacturing in the last year both in equipment and personel, the two barrels are made differently. I'm going to use both over this season and test them on a bench test rifle before I make up my mind.

I'll be really interested to see what your results are. I'm thinking of using it one of these for a 6.5 Sherman build.

Are you taking on any new builds? You've been recommended several times for Sherman/SS builds.

It's hard to believe there is no significant difference in the barrels if they are similar in diameter. I purchased two barrels to finish at 26". One from Pac-Nor and the other from Christensen Arms. The Pac-Nor barrel was the lightest contour that Weatherby uses and Pac-Nor copied it. The Christensen was a light Sendero contour. Both barrels weighed forty ounces.

It is "on the list" of things to do: Compare Proof to Christensen.

I have 2 Proof Barrels, 308/9twist and 284/9twist. 26" Sendero.

I can not find a Christensen barrel online.

The biggest question is how to make a fair comparison. I would really like an 284/8twist for 195 Bergers but that would put the parameters of the ballistics in different worlds.

I guess I could trade out the 284/9twist for an 284/8twist. Fit both to the same rifle. Then have a testing protocol. Break in, accuracy, stress (burn it). $$ouch.

Could be fun though.

It is "on the list" of things to do: Compare Proof to Christensen.

I have 2 Proof Barrels, 308/9twist and 284/9twist. 26" Sendero.

I can not find a Christensen barrel online.

The biggest question is how to make a fair comparison. I would really like an 284/8twist for 195 Bergers but that would put the parameters of the ballistics in different worlds.

I guess I could trade out the 284/9twist for an 284/8twist. Fit both to the same rifle. Then have a testing protocol. Break in, accuracy, stress (burn it). $$ouch.

Could be fun though.

You should throw in MRI, Benchmark, Fierce and Bettin/Satern carbon barrels with the testing...

If you find a Christensen to compare please do a poi test. I am very curious to see if others have seen an extreme poi shift with the new Christensen barrels. Shoot a 5-6shot group with both in 1min intervals between shots not giving the barrel much time to cool and post your findings. I would bet the Christensen barrels group climbs hi and rt starting with the 3rd shot.

Are you taking on any new builds? You've been recommended several times for Sherman/SS builds.

Rhian builds an awesome rifle and is one of the easiest people to work with you might ever experience! I can't recommend his services enough!

Rhian builds an awesome rifle and is one of the easiest people to work with you might ever experience! I can't recommend his services enough!

Thanks, I actually talked to him yesterday and started planning out my build. He was very pleasant to talk to and was very helpful in figuring out what direction to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.