Can switching muzzle brakes change muzzle velocity??

What's the merit of the port dividers of something like the T3 being rounded vs something like the PK's who's dividers are just angled back.

What's the merit of the port dividers of something like the T3 being rounded vs something like the PK's who's dividers are just angled back.
The angle of the ports has an effect on both how much sound is directed back at the shooter as well as how much of the rocket motor effect is reduced.

The brakes I like the best have just a slight forward angle on at least the rear discharge port which seems to really reduce the noise to the shooter. Too much of a forward angle however would reduce its effectiveness in reducing felt recoil.

I've seen/heard all sorts of arguments about different shapes of baffles make one brake superior to others but in truth I think it boils down more to the total volume of gas discharged through the baffles rather than going out the front end. Other than that I think the shape of the holes is really more a matter of aesthetics.

What looks cool sells no matter how effective it is/isn't.

To the OP, We got off tract a little with a lot of decussion about the muzzle brake, but it was part of the question.

On your velocity drop, I think it was caused buy your change in the loading process. You mentioned changing the neck sizing bushings, and that Is where I would first look because changes in case neck
tension can effect the burn rates of powder and effect velocity and SDs. Any changes from your tested load (Sizing, case brand, Primer, Powder lot, ETC)could cause this.

On the baffle shape/design question, The shape definitely has an effect on gas flow and effectiveness
which one is the best ? Only testing on a flow meter, using the same load and the same port volume would effectively show which flowed the best.

The best comparison I can think of is a racing engine, When building a high performance engine one of the first thing we do is grind/machine any sharp corners our (Radius) and polish the surfaces of the manifold and the heads to improve flow. then we also volume match each port so they flow the exact same amount of gas to improve performance. With muzzle brake pressures being much higher than engine pressures finish is all the more important.

Shape does have a bearing on the total performance of the brake but so does the finish inside the brake, volume based on the cartridge, and the matching volume of each port to balance the load placed on each port and prevent an imbalance of effect from an opposing port.

If you see more erosion or carbon near/at the rear port, it is doing most of the work and losing efficiency. While testing, we found that many of the brakes had scaring and carbon in the first port
(Nearest the barrel), And with slow motion Video you could see most of the fire coming from that port. the other ports were not contributing to there share of the recoil reduction.

A well made, well balanced and sized brake will manage the gases equally and distribute fouling equally. While looking at slow motion Video/film watch the fire coming out of the brakes. Some designs have most of the fire coming out of the front of the brake. This is recoil that has not been
taken away. some other brakes show the first port doing most of the work, losing efficiency. a Well balanced and tuned brake will show each port lit up the same with little fire coming front the front of the brake.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.