Caliber options

Good morning everyone. I've been thinking about doing another Tikka custom build. I am stuck on the caliber of choice to build. It will be a dedicated hunting rifle from elk all the way down to Whitetail deer. It will probably go in to a XLR chassis. The current bolt face is a 6.5 Creedmoor. I have someone who can open the bold face to a magnum if I wanted. I have spoken to a few gunsmiths and one recommended a 7 mm Remington magnum and the other a 7–08. Wanted to get your guys consensus and thoughts on these calibers or possibly doing something different. Also barrel length is going to be between 20 to 22 incches and suppressed.
Ive been thinking about doing the same and 6.5prc and 300prc have piqued my interests leaning more towards the 300prc with the short barrel.

I've never understood the minimalist attitude when it comes to shooting game animals. I'd be looking at something in the 30 to 338 range if elk are on the agenda. Everything that small bullets do a bigger heavier bullet does better.
I think it's more about practicality and Efficiency my Dad killed His first Elk with a 300 savage!

My "dream" 270 Winchester would be Tikka action, 24 inch barrel, 1-9 twist, premium stock. Anyone have such a weapon?

I'd look at what ammo you can find the most of and buy as much as you'll think you need, along with a box or two of brass here and there if you think you might ever handload again. I think the new 6.8 Western is an excellent round, but suffers because of the poor quality brass its loaded with. Another sleeper is the 6.5 Wby RPM, but you'll need a longer barrel to get the most out of it. Also, I haven't seen 1 box of ammo since right after it came out.

For a short barrel, think something that burns powder faster. That will be .308, .30-06, and probably 7mm-08 good enough. .325 WSM is a good choice, too for that application. Nothing wrong with anything any of the other guys recommended, but to maximize efficiency, you'll need to run a cartridge with faster burning powder unless you don't mind sacrificing velocity at the expense of more recoil.

I got with Dave Manson and "invented" a cartridge to suit my needs using the components I could find in abundance because of this very predicament. That dictates that I handload, however. It gives you many more options. Bottom metal for intermediate length cartridges like the .284 family, 7x57, 6.5x55 CAN BE difficult to find bottom metal for that goes with your action/stock combo. Most bottom metal makers cater to short action cartridges or to magnum cartridges with some coming up in the XM-length but for short action magnum cartridges that still won't work with a standard bolt face. I despise the PRC cartridges because you can't ever find brass or ammo. I think the 6.5 SAUM or 7 SAUM are better options, but perhaps not if you don't handload, as factory loads are tough to find.

Ask yourself how much velocity you stand to lose if that matters, what ammo can you get for the cartridge you choose, and how much of it can you find, and what it will take to get a rifle with your action set up to run that cartridge. Build it in your mind how you'd like it to be, then go see if you can find the parts to make that vision a reality.

Good morning everyone. I've been thinking about doing another Tikka custom build. I am stuck on the caliber of choice to build. It will be a dedicated hunting rifle from elk all the way down to Whitetail deer. It will probably go in to a XLR chassis. The current bolt face is a 6.5 Creedmoor. I have someone who can open the bold face to a magnum if I wanted. I have spoken to a few gunsmiths and one recommended a 7 mm Remington magnum and the other a 7–08. Wanted to get your guys consensus and thoughts on these calibers or possibly doing something different. Also barrel length is going to be between 20 to 22 incches and suppressed.
280AI
280AI

I'd look at what ammo you can find the most of and buy as much as you'll think you need, along with a box or two of brass here and there if you think you might ever handload again. I think the new 6.8 Western is an excellent round, but suffers because of the poor quality brass its loaded with. Another sleeper is the 6.5 Wby RPM, but you'll need a longer barrel to get the most out of it. Also, I haven't seen 1 box of ammo since right after it came out.

For a short barrel, think something that burns powder faster. That will be .308, .30-06, and probably 7mm-08 good enough. .325 WSM is a good choice, too for that application. Nothing wrong with anything any of the other guys recommended, but to maximize efficiency, you'll need to run a cartridge with faster burning powder unless you don't mind sacrificing velocity at the expense of more recoil.

I got with Dave Manson and "invented" a cartridge to suit my needs using the components I could find in abundance because of this very predicament. That dictates that I handload, however. It gives you many more options. Bottom metal for intermediate length cartridges like the .284 family, 7x57, 6.5x55 CAN BE difficult to find bottom metal for that goes with your action/stock combo. Most bottom metal makers cater to short action cartridges or to magnum cartridges with some coming up in the XM-length but for short action magnum cartridges that still won't work with a standard bolt face. I despise the PRC cartridges because you can't ever find brass or ammo. I think the 6.5 SAUM or 7 SAUM are better options, but perhaps not if you don't handload, as factory loads are tough to find.

Ask yourself how much velocity you stand to lose if that matters, what ammo can you get for the cartridge you choose, and how much of it can you find, and what it will take to get a rifle with your action set up to run that cartridge. Build it in your mind how you'd like it to be, then go see if you can find the parts to make that vision a reality.
I have bought 12 boxes of 300PRC from Milehigh in the last couple of months they still have it in stock last I checked. I think they keep it in stock pretty regularly. One of my local stores here in Montana seems to always have 6.5 PRC on the shelf.

Murdoch's in Kalispell has it on and off, but Last Friday when I was in the Polson Murdochs they had a bunch of 6.5 PRC and a tone of 6.5 Creedmoor. I see 6.5 PRC in Polson pretty regularly. Polson Murdochs had a good selection of ammo in there last Friday.
That's good to know. I haven't been to Murdoch's in Polson in a while. Haven't really looked for much PRC either as I don't have one just yet.