Caliber options

ofl0926

Good morning everyone. I've been thinking about doing another Tikka custom build. I am stuck on the caliber of choice to build. It will be a dedicated hunting rifle from elk all the way down to Whitetail deer. It will probably go in to a XLR chassis. The current bolt face is a 6.5 Creedmoor. I have someone who can open the bold face to a magnum if I wanted. I have spoken to a few gunsmiths and one recommended a 7 mm Remington magnum and the other a 7–08. Wanted to get your guys consensus and thoughts on these calibers or possibly doing something different. Also barrel length is going to be between 20 to 22 incches and suppressed.

My question would be which action do you have? If the action is a T3 or T3x you can change the bolt stop and to LA and step right up to a 280 Akley Improved or one of many other great wildcats( if you reload). No bolt face issues to contend with.

There are many great cartridges and caliber choices out there, especially if you reload.
I'd let component availability pick cartridge and caliber choice.

What he said. If you are going to leave it a short action. First choice for me is 308 and second is 708. I'm not into spending a bunch of money making something I already have. If I wanted bigger just I would just go buy a different $5-700 rifle. Then I have both options covered and then some.

My question would be which action do you have? If the action is a T3 or T3x you can change the bolt stop and to LA and step right up to a 280 Akley Improved or one of many other great wildcats( if you reload). No bolt face issues to contend with.

There are many great cartridges and caliber choices out there, especially if you reload.
I'd let component availability pick cartridge and caliber choice.

I have a t3x model
I have stepped away from reloading for the time being.

What he said. If you are going to leave it a short action. First choice for me is 308 and second is 708. I'm not into spending a bunch of money making something I already have. If I wanted bigger just I would just go buy a different $5-700 rifle. Then I have both options covered and then some.

I just want to make sure I'm covered with shooting 500 yards or less on elk sized animals and below

I just want to make sure I'm covered with shooting 500 yards or less on elk sized animals and below
Heck yes the 308 or 708 will hammer elk at 500 and under! Don't buy into all the new age hype about what you HAVE to do. I shoot a quality hunting bullet not a target bullet or re-labeled target bullet and want full penetration.

You will drop them in 5 to 100 steps double lung the hello out of them.

Heck yes the 308 or 708 will hammer elk at 500 and under! Don't buy into all the new age hype about what you HAVE to do. I shoot a quality hunting bullet not a target bullet or re-labeled target bullet and want full penetration.

You will drop them in 5 to 100 steps double lung the hello out of them.
I like the way that sounds.

I HAVE, a new 6.5 Creedmoor, Tikka, T-3X that, I will use for, Deer, Antelope, Coyotes and "Playing" on Steel, BUT,..
I will ALWAYS grab my older, T-3, .270 WSM for Elk & Moose BECAUSE, I'm personally NOT, taking ANY "chances", IF a 500 - 700 Yard shot,.. appears !
I've Killed 2 Bulls so far with, the .270 WSM, One with a 140 AccuBond and One with a 140 Berger, Classic Hunter, the .270 WSM,.. "works" !
If i were to "Build" another, I'd go for, the 7MM SAUM 24", shooting the 168 -184 Bergers.
I'd Keep, the 6.5 Creed for, Deer and a Fun Gun and Buy / Build,, a little bigger one,.. for Elk

I'm biased here, I'm a 7mm guy and I have several 7mm-08's and a 7mm Rem Mag.

They both do the same, except one reaches out a little further.

The 7mm-08 with a 168gr Hybrid or a 162gr AMax(ELD) is great out to 500 yds for Elk, and they are good for deer out to 700 yds. Even further as you go higher in elevation.

Really don't need more than that.

30-06 because you have a standard bolt face and you aren't reloading (if you were reloading I would also suggest a .280AI). If you have your heart set on going to a magnum bolt face you can't go wrong with a 7mm RM or a 300 WSM. All three will get the job done and are well supported by ammo manufacturers.

Recent Posts