LR Caliber Options

I am only offering my opinion and I'm sure there will be many others. Best reach but lowest recoil category would belong to the various 6.5 mm .260 cal. class. Equal reach, more power but more recoil would be the .30 cal magnum class. Best B.C. and as good as anyone else reach class, but with a bit more recoil, the hot 7mm"s. My opinion, with unlimited resources, meaning you could buy whatever you wanted, I'd do this. For targets and hunting, I'd go 6.5-284, or .264 Win. Mag. for hunting at extreme ranges, 7mm Rem. Ultra mag. Hunting at extreme ranges and needing severe foot pounds of energy, .300 Rem. Ultra mag. If you need more than that, stay home, it isn't worth it.

I was hoping to get some input on a long range rifle build that I am planning for the new year. I was fortunate enough to win my local sporting clays league this season and first place is a custom action and barrel chambered in my caliber of choice. From there I'll fund the rest of the build. I am not sure as what caliber to go? I have three custom guns already in 6.5 creedmoor, 280 AI, and 300 WSM. Also have a semi custom 308 that I built a few years ago. I shoot mainly steel and have the 280 AI for hunting. Would the logical choice be to add in a 338 Lapua to round out the collection or is there another caliber that would be a good addition to what I have already? Thanks for any info.
Before stepping up to the Lapua I'd highy encourage you to find, rent, borrow one and put a few rounds down range.

The reason you see so many of the big .30's and .338's with fw rounds through them at bargain prices on the used market is that most people can't handle the muzzle blast, recoil, or cost of shooting the big cased .338's.

To go to the Lapua case also requires you step up to a custom action that's going to be substantially higher in price than an action for the standard mag's.

Unless you're serious about shooting beyond 1,500yds a 7mm or .30 cal will do all you need or want.

I shoot .260's, 7mm Stw's, 300wm's, 300 Rum's with three each of the latter two as well as the .375 Ruger. For your application if I were starting fresh today I'd look hard at the .30 PRC and .300 Rum, the latter simply if you want the extra gas.

Till you get behind one you really can't appreciate just how big of a step up it is to the .338L and even loading your own it's very expensive to shoot as well as rather physically punishing for most shooters.

Last edited:
Before stepping up to the Lapua I'd highy encourage you to find, rent, borrow one and put a few rounds down range.

The reason you see so many of the big .30's and .338's with fw rounds through them at bargain prices on the used market is that most people can't handle the muzzle blast, recoil, or cost of shooting the big cased .338's.

To go to the Lapua case also requires you step up to a custom action that's going to be substantially higher in price than an action for the standard mag's.

Unless you're serious about shooting beyond 1,500yds a 7mm or .30 cal will do all you need or want.

I shoot .260's, 7mm Stw's, 300wm's, 300 Rum's with three each of the latter two as well as the .375 Ruger. For your application if I were starting fresh today I'd look hard at the .30 PRC and .300 Rum, the latter simply if you want the extra gas.

Till you get behind one you really can't appreciate just how big of a step up it is to the .338L and even loading your own it's very expensive to shoot as well as rather physically punishing for most shooters.

I definitely agree with what you are saying above. As I mentioned earlier in the thread my shooting partner has a 338LM and I have been behind the rifle a good deal. I have definitely considered the pros and cons that come with a big 338. Ultimately I went the 338 Norma route as so many others that have one spoke highly of it.

In getting back to my recent questions from last night:
My first question is will the M5 LA bottom metal accept the CIP spec 338LM mags or will I need a different bottom metal or just standard 338LM magazine?

Secondly, will the Terminator T3 brake be enough for the 338 norma or would I be wise to go to a T4? On my 300wsm the T3 all but eliminated recoil even with 230gr bullets. I feel like the T4 is a really big break compared to the T3.

Thanks!
Joe

I answered my own question while at Mile High today. Non CIP mags with fit in a standard M5 LA bottom metal but CIP length will not. I bought a new CIP bottom metal and mag. My new and unused M5 LA bottom metal is for sale in the buy and sell section if anyone is interested?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts