Caliber options

That's good to know. I haven't been to Murdoch's in Polson in a while. Haven't really looked for much PRC either as I don't have one just yet.
Yessiree, they had a lot of pistol ammo, shotshells, and a lot of 308, 30-06, and 556 but they also had 300 win. mag 7mm Rem mag in 175 grn. and they also had 45-70 in there last Friday.

Good morning everyone. I've been thinking about doing another Tikka custom build. I am stuck on the caliber of choice to build. It will be a dedicated hunting rifle from elk all the way down to Whitetail deer. It will probably go in to a XLR chassis. The current bolt face is a 6.5 Creedmoor. I have someone who can open the bold face to a magnum if I wanted. I have spoken to a few gunsmiths and one recommended a 7 mm Remington magnum and the other a 7–08. Wanted to get your guys consensus and thoughts on these calibers or possibly doing something different. Also barrel length is going to be between 20 to 22 incches and suppressed.
So you're trying to decide between a .264 or .284 caliber? Either one of these calibers has a host of great cartridges that should fit the bill. Not to mention the .277 calibered cartridges that would also fit to bill. Good luck.

A buddy of mine just built a Tikka T3 lite in 7-08 for his mountain gun. It's a tack driver and I'm seriously thinking about building one after shooting it.

Good morning everyone. I've been thinking about doing another Tikka custom build. I am stuck on the caliber of choice to build. It will be a dedicated hunting rifle from elk all the way down to Whitetail deer. It will probably go in to a XLR chassis. The current bolt face is a 6.5 Creedmoor. I have someone who can open the bold face to a magnum if I wanted. I have spoken to a few gunsmiths and one recommended a 7 mm Remington magnum and the other a 7–08. Wanted to get your guys consensus and thoughts on these calibers or possibly doing something different. Also barrel length is going to be between 20 to 22 incches and suppressed.
If the action is a SA, your limited to wsm's. No matter what you do to the bolt face. But thats not a bad thing. I love the 270 wsm.

Ya, a couple of companies make aftermarket bottom metal for tikkas, or of course with a chassis - you can get ~3.5" out of an aics mag.

While the 7mm Rem Mag has great potential, factory ammo often fails to achieve claimed velocities. Sometimes by a lot. Some have claimed that factory ammo has been 'detuned' over time - I'm not sure about that, but I do know running 7rm factory ammo a chrony can be disappointing.

Shooting elk at 500yd with factory ammo and a 20" bbl, I would probably go 300 WSM. Mainly because factory ammo for the 300WSM has performed to a very high level, for me. Both in terms of velocity and accuracy.

I took a reloading hiatus for the better part of a decade. Factory ammo made sense at the time due to limited time and space. Happy to be back at the press in a shop of my own!

Got some components in the mail yesterday and am excited to finally proceed with a fast twist, long action 270 WSM (on a stainless Tikka action as well)

Don't open your bolt face just get a new one. Go with whatever floats your boat. 300wsm is great!

I'm a short barrel, suppressed, magnum cartridge fan on my hunting rigs. Being a millennial, I do not like loud things with a lot of blast like muzzle brakes. Also, a 26" gun with a can is not fun to carry around.
The old argument of "If you're going to shoot a 20" barreled magnum cartridge, you might as well shoot a .308" is exactly what it is, old and annoying. Take a 20" .308 running the SAME exact 180gr bullet at max charge, and compare it to a 20" 300wm with the same 180gr bullet at max charge, and I assure you the 300wm will out perform the .308. The extra performance will decrease errors at said distance.

If you're not loading, and in this environment, step 1 is to find factory ammo that you like and it's availability. You cannot go wrong with 300wm, 7RM, or even 6.5 PRC.

An outfitter I use in West Texas has all of their guides carry custom 18" suppressed 6.5 PRCs. Those guys harvest elk, mule deer, antelope, aoudad, bighorns, and a bunch of other game. Each one claims that aoudad are the hardest to kill. They let their clients use their 18" 6.5 PRCs with 130 grain Federal Terminal Ascent bullets harvest game out to 800 yards with minimal issues.