LR Caliber Options

Pick what ever action You want. Get a 6mm cal., Schneider Barrel #3 or 4 taper with 1 in 7.5 twist and have it chambered to 6xc II. Use 115gr DTAC's for 1000yd steel or 115g Berger vld hunting. You will be happy at the range and be happy out on the range too.

I prefer the 375 cheytac over the 408, but can't go wrong either way. A 350 gr RMB at 3075 is great antelope medicine.

You don't need to win the lottery to build a cheytac. They really don't cost that much more to build than a lapua. I have a 338 lapua, and a 375 cheytac, the 338 laupa isn't even much cheaper to shoot, but there is a big difference in horsepower!!

With 133 gr of Retumbo in every shot, you need a pretty good stash, This one has already eaten about 20lbs of the stuff. I'm going to need a barrel soon.

First off the only down side to the 338 lapua is feeding it. The people that have said on this post that the 338 lapua doesn't offer much over a fast 6mm or 7mm have obviously never had much trigger time with one. Although if your going to have an elr rifle built I'd probably go with one of the 375 variants. With the sierra match king in 375 you can afford to shoot it without having to buy solid Cnc bullets.
Having said that. The 338 edge or lapua will do everything you want unless it's compete in king of 2 mile competitively.

I agree with going heavy. A 6.5 can do everything thing a 6 or 22 cal can.
Being cheap I always look at the cost of a 30cal bullet over a 338 bullet.
So I'd vote 300norma, but if you've a hankering to sling some 338 lead, go for it, ur first instinct is probably the right one

First off the only down side to the 338 lapua is feeding it. The people that have said on this post that the 338 lapua doesn't offer much over a fast 6mm or 7mm have obviously never had much trigger time with one. Although if your going to have an elr rifle built I'd probably go with one of the 375 variants. With the sierra match king in 375 you can afford to shoot it without having to buy solid Cnc bullets.
Having said that. The 338 edge or lapua will do everything you want unless it's compete in king of 2 mile competitively.

Not sure if that was directed at my comment or not, but to clarify.
I said they don't offer much inside 1000, beyond that the big bore mags take over for sure.
175 eldx at 3150 compared to a 300 Berger at 2820 isn't as far apart at 1000 as some might think.

Not sure if that was directed at my comment or not, but to clarify.
I said they don't offer much inside 1000, beyond that the big bore mags take over for sure.
175 eldx at 3150 compared to a 300 Berger at 2820 isn't as far apart at 1000 as some might think.

1084 vs 2038 foot pounds of energy... who dosent think that is alot??
20 some percent more wind drift at 1000 yds with a 10 mph 90 degree wind. that also is alot. So yea there is a crap done of difference. Plus hornady bullets sucks for shooting extended ranges accuratley compared to others.

I am only offering my opinion and I'm sure there will be many others. Best reach but lowest recoil category would belong to the various 6.5 mm .260 cal. class. Equal reach, more powerbut more recoil would be the .30 cal magnum class. Best B.C. and as good as anyone else reach class, but with a bit more recoil, the hot 7mm"s. My opinion, with unlimited resources, meaning you could buy whatever you wanted, I'd do this. For targets and hunting, I'd go 6.5-284, or .264 Win. Mag. for hunting at extreme ranges, 7mm Rem. Ultra mag. Hunting at extreme ranges and needing severe foot pounds of energy, .300 Rem. Ultra mag. If you need more than that, stay home, it isn't worth it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.