Caliber options

I'm biased here, I'm a 7mm guy and I have several 7mm-08's and a 7mm Rem Mag.

They both do the same, except one reaches out a little further.

The 7mm-08 with a 168gr Hybrid or a 162gr AMax(ELD) is great out to 500 yds for Elk, and they are good for deer out to 700 yds. Even further as you go higher in elevation.

Really don't need more than that.
What kind of velocity are you getting from those bullets in the 7-08?

I have a t3x model
I have stepped away from reloading for the time being.

30-06 because you have a standard bolt face and you aren't reloading (if you were reloading I would also suggest a .280AI). If you have your heart set on going to a magnum bolt face you can't go wrong with a 7mm RM or a 300 WSM. All three will get the job done and are well supported by ammo manufacturers.

I missed the part that you arent reloading at this time.

@Franko21 is dead on, get a 7mm Rem Mag, 30 WSW or even a 300 Win Mag.

You will need to see what ammo manufatures have to offer that would make you cartridge a 500 yd Elk killer.

I know Federal has a load with the 168gr Hybrid in the 7mm Rem Mag that in my file its good out to 800 yds for elk.

But the 7mm-08 and 308 have no factory ammo that is good out to 500 yds, unless, maybe, if you are around 10k or 11k ft in elevation.

Good morning everyone. I've been thinking about doing another Tikka custom build. I am stuck on the caliber of choice to build. It will be a dedicated hunting rifle from elk all the way down to Whitetail deer. It will probably go in to a XLR chassis. The current bolt face is a 6.5 Creedmoor. I have someone who can open the bold face to a magnum if I wanted. I have spoken to a few gunsmiths and one recommended a 7 mm Remington magnum and the other a 7–08. Wanted to get your guys consensus and thoughts on these calibers or possibly doing something different. Also barrel length is going to be between 20 to 22 incches and suppressed.
Because elk are in the mix, "I" would go with the 7MM RM over the 7MM-08.

I missed the part that you arent reloading at this time.

@Franko21 is dead on, get a 7mm Rem Mag, 30 WSW or even a 300 Win Mag.

You will need to see what ammo manufatures have to offer that would make you cartridge a 500 yd Elk killer.

I know Federal has a load with the 168gr Hybrid in the 7mm Rem Mag that in my file its good out to 800 yds for elk.

But the 7mm-08 and 308 have no factory ammo that is good out to 500 yds, unless, maybe, if you are around 10k or 11k ft in elevation.

Copy

Good morning everyone. I've been thinking about doing another Tikka custom build. I am stuck on the caliber of choice to build. It will be a dedicated hunting rifle from elk all the way down to Whitetail deer. It will probably go in to a XLR chassis. The current bolt face is a 6.5 Creedmoor. I have someone who can open the bold face to a magnum if I wanted. I have spoken to a few gunsmiths and one recommended a 7 mm Remington magnum and the other a 7–08. Wanted to get your guys consensus and thoughts on these calibers or possibly doing something different. Also barrel length is going to be between 20 to 22 incches and suppressed.
Based on what you described and suppressed 7-08 would be a nice package for Elk. 7-08 is a good caliber and will work well.

You can save the money and stick with the 6.5 Creedmor and use the savings to buy more reloading supplies.

I don't own a 7-08 so can't comment on it. 6.5 bullets will do just fine
Both answers are correct. Stay with Creedmore and go with 7-08. Both with today's bullets are good including elk and black bear.

Lots of talk about the 7 mom's here. Excellent rounds. Something to consider is ammo availability. 6.5 CM will take elk. I have seen them taken with less. It all depends on how far away you want to take the shots.

6.5 CM great for animals 300 lbs on the hood and smaller. Throw in elk, game changer. Yes, 6.5 CM will kill an elk but your risking having issues. .284 bullet and up with the ethical amount of energy at any given distance to harvest that animal ethically with one shot is a rule I at least follow the best I can. For your short action might look into the 7 SAUM, shoots great in 20-22 bbl. Just a thought the 7-08, 308 would be great as well. Good luck!