wolves are big these are loc Alaskan wolves

Attachments

• 15622627_10211408362185600_6594117589761635796_n.jpg
    15622627_10211408362185600_6594117589761635796_n.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 15327262_10207873346617931_1690150575935285848_n.jpg
    15327262_10207873346617931_1690150575935285848_n.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 150
Well done! We have taken many in Northern Alberta...all over 150 but males, females average as you say 100-120. Lots of huge cattle ranch North so the bounties can run $400-700.00
According to records the average male wolf runs 100-110 in alaska, females are 80-90. Alaska and some regions of canada have the largest wolves. The largest wolf ever killed was 230 lbs. That's insane. The previous record holder was 175, which is extremely rare and a massive wolf. Lower 48 wolves do not seem to be that big on average even tho Idaho used to record the stats and basically state the same thing. When I was looking into submitting one of my bow kills I spent some time trying to understand skull size to weight factors. Record holders in the north show much larger skull sizes. My wolf supposed is #4 bow kill in SCI according to the numbers but still smaller in size compared to the largest on record. It seems any wolf over 140 is a flat out a top ranking record book wolf. I know down here if I put one down that big it'll smoke every record by a huge margin. Unfortunately I missed one that I think was going to be over once. He was 850 yards at is was super crappy winter day and winds were 28 mph at the peak of the mountain and I shot for 15 and didn't realize I was more protected then I thought. I was not happy. That wolf was a beast.

The Governor of Idaho signed a bill to reduce the wolf population in Idaho.................there bringing in Professional Trappers, and what I heard is that there is a local group that is paying for wolf kills The Trapper I talked to on the phone said that he trapped two two months ago and with verification of the kills received a check for $2,000

Check out WickedPedia's list of wolf attacks. Back in the day when wolves were more common, it wasn't unusual for wolves to attack humans. The scary part is that they would sometimes find more than a dozen dead wolves next to the human remains. Kind of makes you want to have a AR-10 for hunting.
I just read some of these from Wikipedia. The one that really opened my eyes is this one:
"March 16, 1923 Karl Lynn world war veteran and one of the best known trappers and mushers in the north country is believed to have lost his life in a fight with a pack of timber wolves, two hunters reported here today. They said they thought his body had been devoured by the pack after he had killed six of the wolves. Shreds of clothing and a gun, identified as belonging to Lynn, surrounded by the carcasses of six wolves, were found by the hunters near Cree Lake, 20 miles north of Île-à-la-Crosse, but the hunter's body was lacking. Lynn was an expert rifleman and during the war served as a sniper. Body not recovered."

He killed 6 of them and they still got him!!! No details on his gun or cartridge.

Guess he should have started shooting sooner but we don't know what took place or how long he fought them. All we know is he was experienced and he still died.

Most folks who go wolf hunting are just hoping to see one and get a shot. But to really be prepared, they might ought to think about how to deal with a pack of wolves that come in fast and surround you. That would be foremost in my mind. There are some places up North where wolves are not afraid of Man.

I just read some of these from Wikipedia. The one that really opened my eyes is this one:
"March 16, 1923 Karl Lynn world war veteran and one of the best known trappers and mushers in the north country is believed to have lost his life in a fight with a pack of timber wolves, two hunters reported here today. They said they thought his body had been devoured by the pack after he had killed six of the wolves. Shreds of clothing and a gun, identified as belonging to Lynn, surrounded by the carcasses of six wolves, were found by the hunters near Cree Lake, 20 miles north of Île-à-la-Crosse, but the hunter's body was lacking. Lynn was an expert rifleman and during the war served as a sniper. Body not recovered."

He killed 6 of them and they still got him!!! No details on his gun or cartridge.

Guess he should have started shooting sooner but we don't know what took place or how long he fought them. All we know is he was experienced and he still died.

Most folks who go wolf hunting are just hoping to see one and get a shot. But to really be prepared, they might ought to think about how to deal with a pack of wolves that come in fast and surround you. That would be foremost in my mind. There are some places up North where wolves are not afraid of Man.
Possible. I have called in packs and been surrounded. I killed 3 from 25ft to 50 yards out of a pack of 9. Killed 1 with a bow and out of pack of 8 and didn't realize 2 had snuck up behind me at 10 yards or less. Scared the sheet out of me. I have more stories and literally thought 1 night I was going to die. It changed my behavior a bit. Still have flash backs. My old boss lives in Alaska and had a pack stand their ground. He killed 1 and said it seem to **** them off and he didn't have enough ammo to fight them. He was able to get to his boat and get out. In general, here anyway, they tend to be very very shy and high tail it when they see a human.

This story is even worse than the first one I posted.
Brent, I hope you realize how close you came to death when those wolves were 10 yards behind you.

"On 12/23, an elderly trapper left his camp to "mush down" to the village to pick up his mail. Later in the day, two miles from the settlement, two First Nations men discovered his bones and blood in the snow amidst torn pieces of harness. The two men took their own dog teams and extra ammunition out in pursuit of the same wolves but did not return. The following day, two miles from the village beyond the scene of the first fatal attack, a search party discovered the rifles and bones of the two First Nations men amidst bits of clothing and empty shells. Scattered in a circle about the scene were the carcasses of 16 wolves."

We often hear "wolves prey on the weak" and that is true under normal circumstances. But the account from Port Arthur, Ontario also shows that when wolves pack up in larger numbers, they can become quite military and literally go to war with isolated men; even well armed men. And win.

We often hear "wolves prey on the weak" and that is true under normal circumstances. But the account from Port Arthur, Ontario also shows that when wolves pack up in larger numbers, they can become quite military and literally go to war with isolated men; even well armed men. And win.
I friend told me about the early accounts when wolves would attack wagon trains. Packs would be huge, 100, and the settlers would kill a massive amount and still wind up dying and being eaten. He said there is some crazy history. I've not seen it personally yet.

Need to start a thread about stories like these. There are some good ones. Reminds me of the thread "It's Time". I enjoy reading them.

Not much of a story, but locally here, an elderly couple with dementia got their car stuck on a logging road trail and were missing for a week. When they were found, both had been partially eaten by wolves. This was actually documented by the sheriff's dept and reported. Just shows they do not have fear of us. Both doors were open on the vehicle and it appeared to be stuck. No one knows if they died prior to the wolves arriving or not. The happened a couple of years ago. This article doesn't mention the wolves but does say the husband was found dead away from vehicle and wife in vehicle. A few friends in law enforcement also confirmed wolves had fed on them. I think "exposure" was ruled in the death. Not sure if it was exposure to the elements or wolves...