Caliber choise for Wolves

Like I said, you seem like you have complete confidence. How can we help you? You are certain that you'll get a wolf into a range that you are sure your cartridge and bullet can handle....

So...... what are we doing here?

Ive taken a Mt Lion with my 17 Remington without any problems. Its was called in while bobcat huning and was a tad over 100 yards Lucky for me I had my lion tag with me. The lion was a female and was 92 lbs, about 4-5 years old according to the Biologist.
If wolves go around the same weight would a 30gr bullet out of a 17 Remington do the same. The lion went about 70 yards I would guess that shooting a wolf would play out the same way.
Has anyone taken on with a 22 cal or less?
A mature male wolf can go upwards of 180 lbs. Most shots will be over 100 yards. For me...nothing under 6.5...

Might want to clear that cartridge choice with the guide too. I don't know how they would feel about it. I shoot a bunch of coyotes, and I've killed several with .17 bullets over the years, but I've also watched them soak up much bigger bullets and run away never to be seen. With an animal that could potentially weigh 100lbs+, I'd be surprised if a guide would be happy to see a client show up with a .17.
I know I wouldn't have allowed it!

I have never hunted wolf so do not have any first hand experience...however if Im paying a guide Im sure to "over" do it. Nothing again the 17 rem as I have heard some good and you have been successful with it as well, however Id feel more comfortable with say a 6.5 or larger. I personally use 300 win mag on all deer size or larger so thats what I would take personally.

Do you have other guns you already own that you would consider? That would be helpful.

Ive taken a Mt Lion with my 17 Remington without any problems. Its was called in while bobcat huning and was a tad over 100 yards Lucky for me I had my lion tag with me. The lion was a female and was 92 lbs, about 4-5 years old according to the Biologist.
If wolves go around the same weight would a 30gr bullet out of a 17 Remington do the same. The lion went about 70 yards I would guess that shooting a wolf would play out the same way.
.17 can/might be enough under idea conditions, perfect shot placement, nothing goes wrong, all the stars precisely align. But, why would you want to push that envelope?? What does that buy you?? Wounded animal lost, left to suffer, die slowly. That's not ethical hunting. Use plenty of gun or stay home, hunt on Cabelas video game. Can't you afford another rifle in a clearly sufficient cartridge???

I hate pain!At my age and health problems I get a lot and never seem to get used to it but when I die I hope it goes quick and painless.
Any animal I shoot I want them to die quick also and I feel I owe it to them to see that I do just that.
Just because I CAN use a 17 cal rifle don't mean I would use one as even though I don't like wolve's and feel they were shoved down our throats I still know what pain is and feel it almost every day now.8 back surgeries have taught me that I don't want an animal to suffer any more than necessary so I would go with a larger caliber for the animal's sake.
Just my opinion
I was typing while Pro2A posted and brother we are in complete agreement

I hate pain!At my age and health problems I get a lot and never seem to get used to it but when I die I hope it goes quick and painless.
Any animal I shoot I want them to die quick also and I feel I owe it to them to see that I do just that.
Just because I CAN use a 17 cal rifle don't mean I would use one as even though I don't like wolve's and feel they were shoved down our throats I still know what pain is and feel it almost every day now.8 back surgeries have taught me that I don't want an animal to suffer any more than necessary so I would go with a larger caliber for the animal's sake.
Just my opinion
I was typing while Pro2A posted and brother we are in complete agreement
Amen to that Brother! But although the pain isn't good...I sometimes smile at it and remember when I THOUGHT I was having FUN when I got it....just about all my friends would let me go first...just to see how it would work out....seems more times than usual..they didn't follow!!!! But I'm told...GOD HATES A COWARD

Last edited:
I would probably shoot my 25.06, but unlike some of you snipers here, I sure wouldn't shoot at one at 700 yards. They don't seem to stand still a lot.

Having said that, I was assured a 31 gr Hammer Hunter in .204 Ruger would work on hogs by the guy who builds them and a woof should be a lot easier to kill than a hog. As with everything else, the bullet is the most important component.

Last edited:
well I use a 300 win most time spring and fall, winter 6.5 PRC and most shots are 300 out to 800 yards in the winter we do a lot of winter calling and most shots are long up here in the fall while moose and boo hunting most shots on wolves are under 500

I would probably shoot my 25.06, but unlike some of you snipers here, I sure wouldn't shoot at one at 700 yards. They don't seem to stand still a lot.

Having said that, I was assured a 31 gr Hammer Hunter in .204 Ruger would work on hogs by the guy who builds them and a wold should be a lot easier to kill than a hog. As with everything else, the bullet is the most important component.
A wolf has ten times the strength of a hog to absorb shock! In Apex predators the flight or fight instinct carries them far! I tracked a gut shot wolf over Two miles for a client! And charged him an extra 200 to do it for making a Sh..ty shot and making me walk an extra three hours

Recent Posts