Caliber choise for Wolves

Flyguy, Did the guy that built your gun ever go hog hunting? Did you ever use your 204 on hogs? Was it hunting over bait or at night with night vision? And, I think marksman ship is as important as the right bullet.

well, I might as well wade into this muck and give my first hand experience.
#1 I own a 17 Rem, I love the gun and I love shooting it.
#2, I have hunted wolves for protection of livestock and humans in a few states.
#3 I have found 6MM/243 slugs are effective but I prefer 0.257" 90 grain slugs. specifically Berger, Barnes, and old Speer. at the time I had a 25-06 and a 257 Roberts. both worked well.
another guy that was helping out had a 22-250 and even with some very good shots could not put a good sized wolf on the ground without 2 or 3 shots.
I have used my 17 Rem for many small varmints and short shot coyote hunting. pelt hunting is superb with the 17 Rem. but it has it's size limits. a mountain lion with a 17 rem I would never do. For a 17 caliber to be effective on a mountain lion; it would have to be treed, the shot would have to be a lung shot and the lion drowned in his own blood. not the way I would ever shoot big cats. BTW it is the method that BLM uses and state hunters are told to shoot problem mountain lions with 22LR.
IF someone else has shot wolves with a 22 or smaller caliber then great for you. I would not. I will stick to using 25's and 27's for the job.

I've guided a pile of mtn lion hunts and the only time we use a 22 is tree'd cats in close. 22 Mag pistols. They seem to bail more often then not and it takes a few rounds to end the ordeal. The hound guys don't seem to mind, but I don't like it. The trappers use a 22 mag on wolves too. Head shots.

I've killed and guided a pile of predator/wolf hunts and would use anything of reasonable centerfire choice. I am fine with a 204 and up. My choice is generally 6 and 6.5 as they still work well when the wolf is long way out. If you hunter over bait, blinds, or thick cover where shots are close a 223 is great. I love my 17 but would literally never consider it for a wolf hunt.

I built a wolf specific rifle, AR-15 platform 24" bbl. 6.5 grendel loaded with 108gr Scenars @ 2800fps. Good to 500+. I have yet to kill one but completely confident in that loads capability. After owning English Mastiffs for over 36 years there is not a canine that walks the earth that's too tough for that combo. Ohhh that rifle shoots in the .2's consistently and has taken too many yotes to count. A 17 REM may be good for an up close NON windy day, what happens when you have a 10-15 mph wind to deal with? Your
Mileage may vary, plus I have 11 rounds at my disposal ya know, just in case more that one shows up to the call!!!

I built a wolf specific rifle, AR-15 platform 24" bbl. 6.5 grendel loaded with 108gr Scenars @ 2800fps. Good to 500+. I have yet to kill one but completely confident in that loads capability. After owning English Mastiffs for over 36 years there is not a canine that walks the earth that's too tough for that combo. Ohhh that rifle shoots in the .2's consistently and has taken too many yotes to count. A 17 REM may be good for an up close NON windy day, what happens when you have a 10-15 mph wind to deal with? Your
Mileage may vary, plus I have 11 rounds at my disposal ya know, just in case more that one shows up to the call!!!
I've killed a couple 3's with a bolt. A semi might have helped put more down man, they haul the mail once things are figured out. That grendel and a 6 ARC are both legit for predators.

I've killed a couple 3's with a bolt. A semi might have helped put more down man, they haul the mail once things are figured out. That grendel and a 6 ARC are both legit for predators.

Yeah buddy, spoken like a man who's " been there" wolves are in a different league!!! And yup they can HAUL THE MAIL like a freaken Antelope!!! 3 with a bolt gun is some mighty fine shooting!!!

Yeah buddy, spoken like a man who's " been there" wolves are in a different league!!! And yup they can HAUL THE MAIL like a freaken Antelope!!! 3 with a bolt gun is some mighty fine shooting!!!
Well, the first tri was at point blank range as they surrounded me. The 2nd tri was at 400. I've got a few doubles as well. Most of the time a double is possible if you have a plan, otherwise even a single can be a problem. I had my first coyote tri this winter at 500, 550, 590. They had no idea which way to go, it worked out for me.

Well, the first tri was at point blank range as they surrounded me. The 2nd tri was at 400. I've got a few doubles as well. Most of the time a double is possible if you have a plan, otherwise even a single can be a problem. I had my first coyote tri this winter at 500, 550, 590. They had no idea which way to go, it worked out for me.
Nice shootin'!

I'm hoping we will get a season again here in MN. It's been a long time. We are literally overrun with them. Had 38 removed by my place two years ago. According to neighbor, who had the DNR traps on their property, all 38 were exterminated....

The only animals more common to see are deer and turkeys.

I'm hoping we will get a season again here in MN. It's been a long time. We are literally overrun with them. Had 38 removed by my place two years ago. According to neighbor, who had the DNR traps on their property, all 38 were exterminated....

The only animals more common to see are deer and turkeys.
Can't believe someone could trap 38 in one area. We have 270 wolves killed in the entire state per year and that is all methods. Trappers do by far the most damage and us hunters just mess around and get lucky.

Can't believe someone could trap 38 in one area. We have 270 wolves killed in the entire state per year and that is all methods. Trappers do by far the most damage and us hunters just mess around and get lucky.
20 one year and 18 the next. Back to back years almost exactly 12 months apart. No bs, not my style. I couldn't believe it either. My neighbor had no reason to lie. They had signs up and down our road asking to please stay out of woods as they were trapping. This was a combo of multiple litters as well. The other neighbors dogs were attacked in the yard that year. One dog was taken, one ran onto deck, and one little terrier stood to fight. He lived but was tore up bad. The owner heard the noises and went outside to chase off.

20 one year and 18 the next. Back to back years almost exactly 12 months apart. No bs, not my style. I couldn't believe it either. My neighbor had no reason to lie. They had signs up and down our road asking to please stay out of woods as they were trapping. This was a combo of multiple litters as well. The other neighbors dogs were attacked in the yard that year. One dog was taken, one ran onto deck, and one little terrier stood to fight. He lived but was tore up bad. The owner heard the noises and went outside to chase off.
Sorry didn't mean to imply it was a lie. Just a pretty incredible feat