Caliber choise for Wolves

My father used to run a 100 mile trap line in Alaska on dog sled. He did it for about a decade, from about 74 to 84ish, until the fur market fell apart. He'd spend 2 days out setting, and 2 days back. He only ever killed a few wolves. He was always worried about griz. He carried a sawed off 12ga that I still possess, and a .44 revolver. He was always trying to find wolves, but claimed they were really skittish, and almost impossible to trap. The pelts were worth a fortune back then. I wonder if the population was just low where he was back then. If he was still alive I'd ask him if he had any scary wolf encounters, and I'm sure he did. I'll add that to the list of things that I didn't know to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likely low density. Heck even on the show Alone a dude had wolves within 10 feet of his shelter and he was videoing them. They were not scared at all. It really just depends on their fear of humans via learned behavior and their food source. I read about a teacher who was killed by wolves in a remote village in alaska while out for a jog, a lady helping set up a trap line for her husband that was surrounded, a client who hunted russian bears who had wolves chasing their snowmobiles. I only have 1 truly terrifying account and it still has me baffled. I was absolutely sure I was going to die that night, it had nothing to do with exposure to humans or hunger, it was just a highly ****ed off and territorial wolf. That whole hunt was weird tho. I had them following me around for a few days until I finally figured out where they were bedding. My only regret is not killing that effn alpha male instead of 3 members. I pack a glock with 2 mags now, a very very powerful head lamp, and a thermal. I hope I never have that encounter again but if I do, I will not be a defensive state and wondering what to do. I will have a little better plan.

I would use something a bit bigger My 25-06 would work fine I think? I've never shot a wolf but it kills deer like crazy!
Any cartridge capable of killing coyotes at distance (not a trap line) and deer is capable for wolves. All of my wolves have been killed with a 30-06, 6.5-284, 6.5 PRC, 430 grain arrows. Our clients have killed wolves with 6mm to 338. I have a long range pistol set up with 204 and 6mm creedmoor barrels that I hope gets to fill some tags this year. My plan is the 6mm and I am feeling decent with it to 800. I feel quite confident around 500 tho.

This i sthe 204 barrel.
TC 204.jpg

Last edited:
I live in Hinton and our wolves went to Yellowstone

there is no such thing as over kill on a wolf

they are big and tough

i have had few run away on me 30.30 n 7mm mag

i only use 7mm mag with 175gr

when you hit one they still can go a way's

called in 3 wolves twice in 2 sets 6 days apart and got 2 wolves each time

first wolf is the big one

imo 243 and up but liking the bigger caliber's

as always shot placement is key

remember this is a dangerous animal and kills people around the world quite often... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wolf_attacks

here is a attack in Alberta Banff ... https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/wolf-attack-rampart-creek-banff-1.5245105

remember when you call you could get Grizz/Black/ and Cougars come in so be aware

calling wolves is

When the Hunter becomes the Hunted

David :-}

Attachments

• user20496_pic8971_1415250601.jpg
    user20496_pic8971_1415250601.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 180
  • user20496_pic9100_1419488852.jpg
    user20496_pic9100_1419488852.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 173
  • user20496_pic10660_1536019070.jpg
    user20496_pic10660_1536019070.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Any cartridge capable of killing coyotes at distance (not a trap line) and deer is capable for wolves. All of my wolves have been killed with a 30-06, 6.5-284, 6.5 PRC, 430 grain arrows. Our clients have killed wolves with 6mm to 338. I have a long range pistol set up with 204 and 6mm creedmoor barrels that I hope gets to fill some tags this year. My plan is the 6mm and I am feeling decent with it to 800. I feel quite confident around 500 tho.

This i sthe 204 barrel.
View attachment 292224
Pretty awesome pistol! My son purposefully built a 6mm ARC for wolves, that may be the best AR-15 platform caliber for "all-around" to date!

Would love to hunt wolves someday,thinking I would set something up in 6mm category 6br 243 or 6 creed .Would feel good about any of the 3,just hope it happens someday.

According to records the average male wolf runs 100-110 in alaska, females are 80-90. Alaska and some regions of canada have the largest wolves. The largest wolf ever killed was 230 lbs. That's insane. The previous record holder was 175, which is extremely rare and a massive wolf. Lower 48 wolves do not seem to be that big on average even tho Idaho used to record the stats and basically state the same thing. When I was looking into submitting one of my bow kills I spent some time trying to understand skull size to weight factors. Record holders in the north show much larger skull sizes. My wolf supposed is #4 bow kill in SCI according to the numbers but still smaller in size compared to the largest on record. It seems any wolf over 140 is a flat out a top ranking record book wolf. I know down here if I put one down that big it'll smoke every record by a huge margin. Unfortunately I missed one that I think was going to be over once. He was 850 yards at is was super crappy winter day and winds were 28 mph at the peak of the mountain and I shot for 15 and didn't realize I was more protected then I thought. I was not happy. That wolf was a beast.
If you get a chance read the article in Todd Kindlers book the Sensational Seventeens.......... Tifle THE 17 VLR AND THE WOLVES OF WINTER, by Roy Chaney. He lives in Alaska and uses a 17 cal Rifle that is similar to the .17 Tacctical 30gr bullet at 4000. Thats what he uses to harvest his wolves up in Alaska. Lots of the wolves he takes are DRT. Has no issues killing Alaskan wolves with a 17 cal Rifle......................

If you get a chance read the article in Todd Kindlers book the Sensational Seventeens.......... Tifle THE 17 VLR AND THE WOLVES OF WINTER, by Roy Chaney. He lives in Alaska and uses a 17 cal Rifle that is similar to the .17 Tacctical 30gr bullet at 4000. Thats what he uses to harvest his wolves up in Alaska. Lots of the wolves he takes are DRT. Has no issues killing Alaskan wolves with a 17 cal Rifle......................
Off a trap line and in close is my guess. Sure it's a good read tho. A 22 lr in the head is just fine too I suppose. That's what most use here or a 22 mag. You can choose whatever you desire. I don't trap, and don't plan on point blank shots over bait etc. not allowed here. I plan for the worst and hope for the best and where I hunt a 17 is absolute underwhelming cartridge if there is any distance involved. Take a shot with a 30 grain 17 at 500 in 10 mph mountain terrain wind and let me know how that goes for you.

Last edited:
Off a trap line and in close is my guess. Sure it's a good read tho. A 22 lr in the head is just fine too I suppose. That's what most use here or a 22 mag. You can choose whatever you desire. I don't trap, and don't plan on point blank shots over bait etc. not allowed here. I plan for the worst and hope for the best and where I hunt a 17 is absolute underwhelming cartridge if there is any distance involved. Take a shot with a 30 grain 17 at 500 in 10 mph mountain terrain wind and let me know how that goes for you.
Actually all the wolves he takes are called in, and he takes a lot. He has taken wolves out over 200 yards with his 17 I would give the guy a call if all this seems to overwhelm some. Read the article if you question the guy, then give him a call

Indians killed Buffalo with 20lb draw stick bows, but that doesn't make it a reasonable option. If you get a bison tag, maybe you can try stabbing it to death with a sharp stick, but I'm bringing a 340 Weatherby..

oh by the way Roy Chaney lives in Delta, Alaska.........................why dont you give him all your feedback Ive never shot anything with a 17 Remington

I would use something a bit bigger My 25-06 would work fine I think? I've never shot a wolf but it kills deer like crazy!
For wolves you need something bigger than a 25-06 I would use a 375 Remington Ulta Mag or just in case you run into a Grizzly Maybe you should pack a 505 Gibs

Actually all the wolves he takes are called in, and he takes a lot. He has taken wolves out over 200 yards with his 17 I would give the guy a call if all this seems to overwhelm some. Read the article if you question the guy, then give him a call
Never questioned the guy. 200 yards is point blank range for folks on this page and my guess is most are considerably closer than 200. I've made my points very clear, wolves are not hard to kill if you hit them right. If distance wasn't a potential factor I'd use a 204 or a 223. Getting a shot that close is not easy in this country. There is a huge difference in how they behave here. Much much much more human interaction etc. There is a reason why government hunters and trappers are a thing. Gov hunters use a helo and telemetry device. They don't go out making stands and calling in wolves, it's a different ball game. Nonetheless, you do what you want and base your info off of whatever you desire. If it works for you let us know the results and techniques so we can be educated and successful as well. I'd like nothing more than to be hammering wolves in close vs far and using a smaller caliber. Those long range shots require a significant amount of talent to make happen. Over the winter I chase wolves and shoot yotes if the opportunity is there. I killed quite a few 500-800 last winter simply because they were in the area. Headed out saturday to chase wolves actually. Found 2 packs in different locations so my archery elk is delayed now.