Caliber change on existing Rem 700

Ten years ago I purchased a Remington 700 RMEF edition in 300 WSM. I had a gunsmith install and bed a McMillan Ultralight Hunter's Edge stock along with some Talley lightweight scope rings and Leupold VX3. This was to be my primary elk rifle, nice and light, great trigger, excellent bedding work, great to carry around all day however it is real unpleasant to shoot. I don't consider myself to be recoil sensitive but this thing really packs a wallop.

I hunt with a bow for the most part now though I do take pronghorn with my .270 and make my annual application donation for sheep and goat. I've been thinking about converting the 300 to 6.5-284 since it is a short action, has great ballistics and isn't punishing to shoot.

My question is does it make sense to do this? I will need a new bolt and barrel at minimum and obviously someone to do the work as I'm not equipped or capable. Or would it be easier to sell the rifle and buy something else... Your thoughts are appreciated

Buy another Remington 700 in the caliber your wanting and save yourself some money for uprades, then you can either keep the one you have or sell it .

I picked up a .308W barreled action with no plans for it a while back. I thought about a 6.5-.284, but even with a Wyatt magazine box, it is still just a little short. Not a big problem for handloaders. You'd just have to seat your bullets a little deeper. Wyatt is developing a new magazine box that's even longer, but I haven't seen it. He told me that it wasn't done the last time I talked to him. Since you woul have to buy a custom reamer anyway, you could get one ground for deeper seated bullets. Or use the original reamer and accept the extra free bore. But back to your recoil problem. I have a .300 SAUM with a titanium action and a skeletonized bolt. I have an ultralight Leupold mounted on it. The rifle weighs 5 1/2 pounds. The scope brings the weight up to less than 6 1/2 pounds. Like your rifle, the gun is a joy to carry. Unlike your gun, I don't find the recoil excessive or objectionable. The rifle came from the factory with a light weight McMillan stock, so I probably have the same stock you have. I also got another RMEF .300 SAUM at an auction. I called McMillan to see about getting a stock for it and was told that my stock was specially made for Remington, they had a similar stock. My guess is that your stock doesn't fit you. It could be too long or too short. I got a M700 ADL 30-06 for my son when he was young. It had been altered for a wife. The barrel shortened to 20 inches and the stock was also shortened and had a recoil pad installed. He was able to shoot it with full power loads. I also had a friend with an identical rifle. He complained about the recoil. I let him shoot my rifle and he loved it and wanted to buy it. He didn't want to alter his rifle. The rifle was extremely accurate so I didn't want to sell it. It was also well worn. I told him that I would sell it for what it would take to replace it with a new rifle. He paid me what I was asking. I wouldn't rebarrel your rifle. I'd keep it the way it us. If you want to try a short action, buy a M700 at Wally World. they are $375. Have that one blue printed and rebarreled. Or have a muzzle brake installed. I made a muzzle brake out of old 98 Mauser barrel and installed it on my fairly light weight .338 RUM. Several people have shot it and no one found the recoil objectionable.

Sell it. A .270 will do most anything the 6.5's will. You could always keep the Macmillan and build new.
Seems like tossing half the rifle to rebarrel if you need a new bolt.

I hunt with Suppressors and shoot competitively with brakes. A good brake is by far superior to reducing felt recoil. That being said I have a 30 Nosler as my elk gun and for range time I use a brake so I don't get sick of firing it time after time. When it comes time for the hunt I take the brake off and throw the thread protector on and go. POI is negligent if you don't want to re-sight the rifle with no brake. Hope this helps. The wsm is a great round I wouldn't change it I would find the right equipment to make it better.

The 6.5-284 also has a whole different case diameter so your undercarriage, magazine system also has to be reworked. If you reload I'd recommend a couple things. A lighter bullet and back off the powder charge can bring it down a lot as well. I had to load my 7WSM down after I had my upper vertebrae fused. Doc said do it or shoot BB guns the rest of your life. I have a friend who also has a hard kicking Weatherby. He shoots a lot off the bench in a lead sled and shoots his one or two shots a year bare for elk.

It's a hunting rifle, right? Light was the goal and .300WSM power was part of the formula. So you've got the things you wanted, but along comes recoil. It's spoiling the party. Totally get it. Forget the muzzle brake. For a hunting gun, it will deafen you. Going to stop, ask the animal to hang on a minute so you can put on ear muffs or ear plugs? Yeah...no. So the suppressor route would work. Less recoil. Less noise. But now you are adding weight. Hmmm...

Suggestion - leave the gun 'as is'. When shooting it off the bench, you wear this:
upload_2019-5-11_10-54-14.png

It'll cost you $32 or so (Midway). When you are hunting, you will take one, maybe two shots. You'll have thicker hunting clothes on and probably won't even notice the recoil then.

I feel your pain - literally. I have a Remington Titanium in .308Win that is super light, which is great. But the recoil velocity and force is greater than my .338 Win Mag (which is a heavier gun, to be sure, but still.) Loved the rifle but from the bench or practicing off-hand, it was brutal. The PAST recoil pad shield at $32 'fixes' the issue.

Good luck. Your rifle sounds like an awesome hunting tool. Don't mess it up!

Ten years ago I purchased a Remington 700 RMEF edition in 300 WSM. I had a gunsmith install and bed a McMillan Ultralight Hunter's Edge stock along with some Talley lightweight scope rings and Leupold VX3. This was to be my primary elk rifle, nice and light, great trigger, excellent bedding work, great to carry around all day however it is real unpleasant to shoot. I don't consider myself to be recoil sensitive but this thing really packs a wallop.

I hunt with a bow for the most part now though I do take pronghorn with my .270 and make my annual application donation for sheep and goat. I've been thinking about converting the 300 to 6.5-284 since it is a short action, has great ballistics and isn't punishing to shoot.

My question is does it make sense to do this? I will need a new bolt and barrel at minimum and obviously someone to do the work as I'm not equipped or capable. Or would it be easier to sell the rifle and buy something else... Your thoughts are appreciated
with the light weight you get the recoil ! I shoot a 300 wsm for elk and moose and only notice the recoil when I'm on the range ! Weight will reduce the recoil as will a different recoil pad and possible a muzzle break 1

Suppress, brake, or drop bullet weight/powder charge in that order. I notice a big difference in recoil even shooting 150's vs 180's in a relatively light 30-06. It will be sent to thunderbeast for their facemount brake(sporter contour) and eventually wear a TBAC 7. A brake is no question, a suppressor on a 22 in 300 WSM should also be fine if the suppressor is rated for 300 Win.

Look at BassPro 2019 Summer Shooting mail catalog page 14: Remington 700 Long Range rifle for $749.99. Lot of capability for the money. Add a rail and muzzle brake if you like and you have a fine hunting rifle.

I think that it would be a waste to make changes that you dont really need. Just put a muzzke brake and enjoy. I personally am a 7mm guy, but I know the 300 WSM is a great cartridge.

For the only cartridge that I would change it would be a 7mm SAUM and still put a brake on it to make it more pleasant to shoot. My dad had a Rem model 7 in 7 SAUM that my brother shoots now, it performs great and also light weight. It works great on deer and elk.

But I would keep the 300 WSM and make the changes once you shoot out the barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.