Sell and buy new or build existing rifle into another caliber??

Elkwonder

Ok guy,s here is a question to ponder. I have a Sako grey wolf that is practically brand new, chambered in 270 wsm. Problem is I also have one in 6.5x55 and love that round for everything up through mule deer. So I really need something for elk and bear and want another Sako, so should I sell the Sako 270 wsm and buy another one in 300 wsm, or should I just have my current 270 wsm rebarreled to 300wsm? I also think it would be cool to have it rebarreled to something a touch bigger like 338-300wsm....Thoughts??
How hard is it to produce 338-300 wsm brass? I guess you would be better off using 325wsm brass instead of 300 wsm brass, but that stuff is pretty hard to come by isn't it?

Last edited:
If you want to stay with the Grey Wolf I'd sell your 270 WSM and get something bigger. That will be cheaper and easier by far than rebarreling.

WSMs are cool, but brass is so much more expensive and hard to find. If you're starting from scratch I would just get a 338 Win Mag. Have a gunsmith put a good brake on it and you've got a pleasant shooter that's well suited for elk and bear out to 500+ yards.

You know...I wish I had access to a 338 wm so that I could see how bad the recoil actually is. As somebody who has never shot one, the recoils that you read about makes me want to hide under my bed and not come out....lol
I am completely fine with adding a muzzle break, but don't want to have it on while hunting. So shooting the 338wm without the muzzle break is what doesn't sound to good to me.
I am kinda liking the idea of having my 270wsm rebarreled to 338wsm, but need to talk to my local smith and get his thoughts as well.
As silly as it sounds the 338 WM without a break is a HUGE turnoff for me. Shouldn't the 338WSM have a little less recoil than the 338WM?

I was just in a similar dilema a while back...deciding if i wanted a 325 wsm...decided not to do it bc factory ammo is extremely hard to get and is very expensive. ...i do reload and even then it is expensive. ....I decided to keep my tikka t3 heavy barrel 300 winnie and get a browning xbolt 300 winnie with factory muzzle break......

Got it figured out.....ordered a new grey wolf in 300wsm and got a SMOKING DEAL!!!
SO.....Im willing to pass on a smoking deal on a grey wolf 270wsm to anyone who is interested.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.