Caliber change on existing Rem 700

rm06

Ten years ago I purchased a Remington 700 RMEF edition in 300 WSM. I had a gunsmith install and bed a McMillan Ultralight Hunter's Edge stock along with some Talley lightweight scope rings and Leupold VX3. This was to be my primary elk rifle, nice and light, great trigger, excellent bedding work, great to carry around all day however it is real unpleasant to shoot. I don't consider myself to be recoil sensitive but this thing really packs a wallop.

I hunt with a bow for the most part now though I do take pronghorn with my .270 and make my annual application donation for sheep and goat. I've been thinking about converting the 300 to 6.5-284 since it is a short action, has great ballistics and isn't punishing to shoot.

My question is does it make sense to do this? I will need a new bolt and barrel at minimum and obviously someone to do the work as I'm not equipped or capable. Or would it be easier to sell the rifle and buy something else... Your thoughts are appreciated

The 6.5-284 is a different case head size, so you'd need a different bolt along with the rebarrel. Have you considered a muzzle brake or suppressor? I've got several very light rifles that'll cross your eyes when shot bare, but with a simple 3 port brake or a good suppressor, the recoil is considerably less and way more manageable. If you wanted to keep the same rifle and just rebarrel, you could run a 6.5PRC, 6.5 SAUM, the sherman short mag rounds. There are a number of very good options if you reload. Or, brake it and stick with the 300WSM, the brake would be the cheapest route as well.

Well hell man, get that tube threaded. You're missing out on so much by not taming that WSM with a can. Just make sure what you've got is rated the the 300WSM and the barrel length you've got. I hunt a lot with a 24" 300WM and the suppressor changes the gun entirely. It has probably 50% of the recoil and the report is still loud, but not sharp and damaging in a hunting situation. I don't hunt or shoot LR without a can anymore.

I'm doing a long action 700 BDL from 30/06 to 6.5 A Square,,, my original plan was any of the short case 6.5's since it allows me to seat the boolitz long to the lands... But yes,,, find a case that will work with your existing bolt head,,, then go from there...

If you reload your own ammo,,, then your styling since you can load hot or tap it kool...

The 6.5 on up works good on mid size critters,,, and an excellent go the boolit for the think skins if a person gets close...

I'm about to find this out since I'm all about the Elk... The 140gr TSX's triple shock are awesome... Another good Punch-Junk boolit is the ELD-X's since they expand up close or at distance...

Just offering an idea since I've had enough of nailed in the shoulder over the years. Ha... If my friend can harvest 40+++ years of Elk and Moose with his 270,,, then I'll be chasing his shirt tails with the next smaller unit behind him...

Its all about the freezer full in our world.

Well hell man, get that tube threaded. You're missing out on so much by not taming that WSM with a can. Just make sure what you've got is rated the the 300WSM and the barrel length you've got. I hunt a lot with a 24" 300WM and the suppressor changes the gun entirely. It has probably 50% of the recoil and the report is still loud, but not sharp and damaging in a hunting situation. I don't hunt or shoot LR without a can anymore.

I'm a can guy for sure and I generally I find shooting without them to be uncivilized, I have an Omega and it makes a big difference even on my .270. My .300 barrel is only 22" and I know before threading it they have to face off the crown and my concern is losing more barrel which is why I was pursuing the possibility of a new caliber...

What about keeping the rifle as-is and building some reduced recoil loads? That should be simpler and less expensive than rebarreling.

If you were to rebarrel, I'd go 6.5 SAUM (same bolt face) and still download somewhat to reduce recoil.

It's not cost effective to do the 6.5-284 as previously stated you'll need a different bolt and your action is just too short to take advantage of that round. If you really want a different caliber and reload, I think the Sherman would be the way to go or a WSM variant which uses the same bolt head. You'll spend close a grand to rebarrel, true the action and buy a bolt, so I would ask myself if it's worth it. Your 270 will do anything you would do with what your thinking of.

Ten years ago I purchased a Remington 700 RMEF edition in 300 WSM. I had a gunsmith install and bed a McMillan Ultralight Hunter's Edge stock along with some Talley lightweight scope rings and Leupold VX3. This was to be my primary elk rifle, nice and light, great trigger, excellent bedding work, great to carry around all day however it is real unpleasant to shoot. I don't consider myself to be recoil sensitive but this thing really packs a wallop.

I hunt with a bow for the most part now though I do take pronghorn with my .270 and make my annual application donation for sheep and goat. I've been thinking about converting the 300 to 6.5-284 since it is a short action, has great ballistics and isn't punishing to shoot.

My question is does it make sense to do this? I will need a new bolt and barrel at minimum and obviously someone to do the work as I'm not equipped or capable. Or would it be easier to sell the rifle and buy something else... Your thoughts are appreciated
Been there, done that. Your rifle sounds like it's worth keeping. IF It's within your budget, build a new one. To convert your existing rifle WILL be cost prohibitive. You would first need a new bolt, then the bbl., the bedding would need to be shaved out and pillars removed.....then possibly damage that custom stock.....and then a competent gunsmith. IMHO.......Re-barrel it to a 270 WSM. This would eliminate a whole lot of engineering and save a fist full of $$$

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.