Rem 700 Sendero caliber swap questions

What kinda numbers you dialing with that 200gr pill?

I'd love to have some 150gr AccuBonds for my .257 Wby. I bet those would be an awesome whitetail round (we have big deer here). gun)

If you loaded up some 150gr AccuBonds in a .257 Weatherby case, would the OAL be too long to run them in the magazine box? Would you have to shoot single-shot at a time...or would they still be fine? I mean, 150 AccuBond isn't gonna be that much longer than a 110 AccuBond, right?

At long range sectional density becomes important and you can get away from controlled expansion bullets like the accubond if you have adequate sectional density. Sectional density is an important parameter in BC so it is good to have as much as your case capacity can handle..

The 257Wby case can be used with the 142 gr class of bullet but is of marginal benefit in my opinion for shooting deer. Even on elk the penetration from the 130 grain bullet is extremely good.

The 142 grain bullet works well with the 257 STW and the 257 Allen Mag class of case capacities.

The name of the forum is Long Range Hunting. :D

The general problem with the 25 cals is that the bigger bullet companies do not make any long range hunting bullets in 25 cal so everybody just makes do with poor choices of medium range bullets.

From Left to Right
257Wby with 130 gr RBBT HP Wildcat
7mm 200 gr RBBT HP Wildcat
257 cal 142 gr RBBT HP Wildcat
257 cal 130 gr RBBT HP Wildcat
6mm 115 gr Berger (IIRC)

Wildcatbullets2.jpg

COOL....GOOD STUFF!!!!

Thanks.

Always thought it would be fun to have a .257 STW. But won't the .257 Wby already perform the equally to the .257 STW? I was told they were pretty close.

I have a Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW, but I rarely shoot it. Too much gun for the deer around here, unless I go hunting somewhere I can shoot pretty long range.

Also, I am on a budget, but what do yall think of this scope for my Rem 700 5R Milspec .308, and for my Rem 700 Sendero 7mmSTW.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/millett...ed-multi-coated-matte-long-range-riflesc.html

I haven't put a scope on my 5R Mil-Spec yet.....And my 7mm STW needs a much better scope than what's on it.

Hey folks, sorry I've been gone for a while, but I have a few questions about a gun I hope to be getting.

The gun is a Remington 700 Sendero in .25-06 (long-action), with a Swarovski AV 4-12x50 on top.

I have never owned a .25-06, and the rifling in the barrel looks to be a fair-bit worn down. The gun has been well shot (judging by looking at it, but the action still locks up tight as a tick's butt. The HS stock looks great, the bolt looks good, and the Swaro scope looks clear as crystal.

Here is where my questions begin...

I always wanted a Remington 700 in .257 Weatherby Mag (my favorite whitetail caliber). What all extensive work will need to be done to convert this gun to a .257 Wby Mag, other than the barrel? Will the bolt-face have to be opened up? Is it even possible to convert from a .25-06 to a .257 Wby while using the standard long-action?

Thanks guys

Austin

Actually the conversion is a very easy one... Most of the 25.06 I've seen that went to the .257Wby shot great... I personnel like the 100gr bullet best in the .257 Wby.
Just get a qualified an capable gunsmith to do the work...

Well, I have a Weatherby AccuMark in .257 Wby Mag, and it has the 1:10" twist, and it really likes the 110gr. AccuBonds.

Not to mention, the 110gr Accubonds make a nice small entrance, nice small exit, but reek havoc on the insides of a whitetail... Perfect load for deer hunting, IMO.

What do yall think about a .25-06 to a .280 Rem. conversion?

Is the bolt-face the same size, so all you have to swap is the barrel? Cause I'm 99% sure the same .25-06 floor-plate will work.

What do yall think about a .25-06 to a .280 Rem. conversion?

Is the bolt-face the same size, so all you have to swap is the barrel? Cause I'm 99% sure the same .25-06 floor-plate will work.

Yep.. bolt face is the same. But that's a re-barrel not a conversion... Oop's you got the re-barrel part...

Hmmm, I'll just have to see how it goes. If I can sell that boat ASAP, then I'll be able to buy it, and see what I want to do from there. Hell, it might just have copper build-up that is making it look like the barrel is about shot out...

I've never had a .25-06 before. But I've always wanted a .280 AI.

I could buy it, test shoot it (for group accuracy to test the rifling), and if it's bad have my buddy Jimmy McCollough (gunsmith/friend in Selma, AL) throw me a Sendero-contour .280 AI barrel on it, and order some Nosler custom 160gr. Accubonds. I think that would be a shooter right there. :cool:

Or I could just order a .338-06 barrel......

Last edited:
What is everyone's opinion? Convert to .257 Wby, or 280 AI?
For my money it's a flip. I'm not a huge fan of any caliber I can't buy ammo for in the local hardware store if I'm on an out of state trip and somehow run out or my ammo doesn't make the trip/gets lost.

At least with the Weatherby if you're within driving distance of a Walmart, Sportsman's Guide, or other big box sporting goods store there's a fair chance of finding the ammo.

Of course if that's a guide it makes sense to stick with the 25-06.

True, but I've never been out of state to hunt. However, if I go out of state, I will most likely be driving there, unless It is a LONG way away like Alaska or Montana, Wyoming, Ill, etc...

I do love the .257 Wby cartridge. It's a very devastating round for Elk and smaller game. However, the .280 AI I could load up some 160gr AccuBonds and it would still be pushing close to 2950 fps with the right powder.

So, I guess it's kind of a toss-up.

True, but I've never been out of state to hunt. However, if I go out of state, I will most likely be driving there, unless It is a LONG way away like Alaska or Montana, Wyoming, Ill, etc...

I do love the .257 Wby cartridge. It's a very devastating round for Elk and smaller game. However, the .280 AI I could load up some 160gr AccuBonds and it would still be pushing close to 2950 fps with the right powder.

So, I guess it's kind of a toss-up.
I know. I'm torturing myself over a couple of projects of my own right now. I'm settle on calibers for both but the rest of the details get maddenting.

My dad once mad a "trip of a lifetime" to Colorado for a Mule Deer hunt. Someone grabbed his gear bag out of the back of the truck when he'd stopped to eat at a truck stop along the way. He was shooting a SAKO Deluxe in 257WBY (custom job he'd gotten from a friend who had an outdoor sports show) and of course there was no ammo to be had.

Fortunately he had as a backup his old Rem 30-06 pump and using some cheap Remington factory loads he grabbed at the local hardware store in CO he managed to pull off his "hunt of a lifetime" with a 200 plus B&C buck that weighed nearly 300lbs.

He never let me forget that lesson when it came to considering a new caliber.

The .257 Weatherby though is one of Chuck Hawk's favorites so you might enjoy reading his comparison between it and the other 25's.

.25 Caliber Cartridges

Yeah, that article just helped me to solidify what I already knew, and what I had really been wanting to do, if I do end up getting the gun..... How sweet would it be to have a Rem 700 Sendero in .257 Wby Mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts