Wyoming changes caliber laws !!

Sendero_Man

For deer, antelope, mountain lion, and gray wolf, the major change is the addition of .22 centerfire cartridges as legal ammunition. For the taking of deer, antelope, mountain lions, and gray wolves in areas where they are designated as trophy game, hunters can use any centerfire firearm of at least .22 caliber, using a cartridge at least two inches long and firing a bullet of at least 60 grains.

Wyoming Game & Fish Department

Curious as to why they limit cartridge length to two inches...does that mean I can't use my lever action 454 Casull because the cartridge is less than min length? Last elk hunt I was in the thick stuff and a long shot would have been 60 yards so I said next time I will use my lever action. Guess I would be in violation in WY so back to the 338.

I believe the rule is so you can't go hunt deer with a 22lr. The two inch rule applys to a 22 Cal not necessarily to larger rounds.

Curious as to why they limit cartridge length to two inches...does that mean I can't use my lever action 454 Casull because the cartridge is less than min length? Last elk hunt I was in the thick stuff and a long shot would have been 60 yards so I said next time I will use my lever action. Guess I would be in violation in WY so back to the 338.

Your 454 is legal in Wy. If you read the pistol regs it states that you must be able to produce 500 ft lbs of energy at 100 yards. You are good to go.

17HMR is now legal turkey medicine

For all big and trophy game species, legal firearms also include any cartridge of at least .35 caliber and at least 1.5 inches in overall length, or a cartridge that generally delivers 500 foot-pounds of impact at 100 yards.
Oddly enough the 45lc has to be a potent factory load or documented reload to get to the 500fp.

Shotguns firing "00" or larger buckshot are now legal for all big and trophy game.

Yep while some states are outlawing gun options our state is putting in express lanes:D
Hopefully the Supresser bill passes too.......

Daaa I was just wondering if the lite little CZ american would throw a 60 grainer but the AR actually prefers them:D I was thinking there was a mag restriction but couldnt find any.
My worry is that the same people that are bringing thier appliences out to the public lands,shooting them up and leaving them there will also abuse the AR clause?

Thanks for the info Sendero_man, That's good to know. MachV, I have torn the state site apart on a couple of occasions looking for magazine restrictions. I have yet to find any.

Go Wyo!

t

Did you all see that legislation the Rep from Wyo is trying to pass that negates any laws Obama tries to pass? I wonder what all happened to that?

Did you all see that legislation the Rep from Wyo is trying to pass that negates any laws Obama tries to pass? I wonder what all happened to that?

Yes, that would be House Bill 104 aka Firearm Protection Act. From what I understand (anyone feel free to correct me) it is past legislation & awaits the governors signature.

cheers,

I hope more states start doing this, just so we can start seeing more deer bullets in 223.
Id like to see some bonded bullets for us reloaders on the shelves. I can never even find any of the factory loaded bonded ammo anywhere in 223

What would be cool is if all the main players would offer their bonded bullets in 223
Id love to be able to load a .224 accubond, or interbond.

Swift makes a 75g scirocco but I have never seen it anywhere

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.