Rem. 700 build up..gunsmith & caliber u use??

Dust270WSM

I recently got my grandpa's old rem 700 30-06. It's justa simple adl model. Also it has some rust and pitting on the action and bolt. What I wanna do is see if I send it to a gunsmith if they can take care of the pitting and rust? Figured they could clean up and ceracoat?

What I want is to do a build up using my grandpa's action to build into a deer rifle. Not like a Rem Sendero, that's to heavy and long. I am wanting to make it similar to a Savage Predator. Where it is mildly heavy barreled but only approx. 22" long. Where I can hunt in the timber or spot and stalk but if I needed to make a 400-600 yard shot or longer it could.

1st---what gunsmith would yall use that's affordable? Don't wanna spend thousands but figured I would spend $1500 approx.

2nd--What caliber would yall pick...I'm thinking 280 AI...or a 6.5 something?

I would have a local gun smith cerakote the action. Then I'd send it to pacnor and have them install another 30-06 barrel on it(honoring your grandpa of course) or a 6.5x284 barrel. Then through a hs precision sendero stock on it. Should have a **** nice rifle after that.

I'd build a 6.5 Sherman, 3b contour Barlien barrel and cerakote in Socom blue, bed it back into the stock, a little old and a little new is nice to keep the history.

Or go with a BEEFED up load like the 26 nosler, 28 Nosler or a 280 AI
...I'm keeping the action to remember gramps but the rest of the gun will be new age. Lol kinda a gadget guy and I like the new calibers. But I like the speed of the 6.5 X 284 with the only 50 grains so its easy on the arm
..lol hmmmm...delma...

Also I wanna put a stick on it similar to my senderos but not so heavy. Prob like a bell Carlson or something of that nature..

I like 6.5x284 but if you want beefy. 28 nosler is about as BA as you can go on that action. Pacnor will build you a barrel contoured how you want. Also. A sendero style hs precision stock can be had for just a few pennies more than the bell and Carlson, and I think you will still be in you budget

IIWY, I'd just have it restored as close to original as possible, retire it from hunting (it's not like I'm hurting for rifle or my only rifle to hunt with :):D:rolleyes::cool:gun)), keep it for it's sentimental value and later pass it on to the next generation ... but that's just me.

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.