Buying a Gunwerks LR-1000 a good choice?

Do search on this site. This shooting system has been a topic of dicussion more than once.
I would strongly caution a beginner to long range shooting buying any 1000 yard gun. This is something that has to be practiced at with numerous amounts of time spent in the field. There is more to this than buying a rifle and pulling the trigger.
One must crawl before they can walk. Then running comes after walking.
There are steps to be taken in the learning progression. Enough physco crap.
There is lot to be learned from this site. Inform yourself and make an educated choice.

Things have come a long way.I sat at a dinner the other night, and there was a young 20+ couple that I remembered from archery league. I asked how hunting season went, she had a special cow tag, took her at 600+ WITH hubbies 7MM, and anchored a 6x6 @ 925 on opening day.You didnt hear that 20 yrs ago when I took A 6X6 , @ 500+, duplex reticle. I have pushing that GW1000, into a full custom build, custom stock,coatings, rings, bases,optics, triggers,etc. counting dies, shell holder, brass, bullets.And I am hoping to be up and running for spring bear. Different stokes for....

Last edited:
I think you are confusing our budget model and the LR-1000. The budget rifle uses Shilen barrel and HS Precision stock priced at $4000 with the scope package. The LR-1000 uses a Broughton 5C and our stock (similar to McMillan construction). The system price is $6500.

Also, I'm a little confused about the advice to send a beginner to gun shop to DIY. Many people have better things to do. If a customer buys a system that is ready to go, he can spend his time learning to shoot it, instead of chasing his tail on one of the many small issues that need addressed to get his system up and running. Buying a package is expensive, and not for everyone, but it is a little naive to believe that the value of the set up is not there.

Some people love the setup, and don't mind sorting through factory guns to find a shooter, or figuring out a custom build, others may just want to go shooting. With a system from a reputable mfg, they will have the confidence that they are starting with a solid foundation.

Also, we handload ammunition at $60/box for 7mm Rem Mag.

Sell this mentality somewhere else.

A noobee doesnt need to spend 6500 bucks to learn how to shoot, nor 3 bucks a shot. A PSS for a fraction of the price will shoot side by side with the almighty LR1000. Period. By the time he learns how to use it, he will have figured out what he really wants. Caliber, action, stock design etc....If it is a LR1000 then great, if not, oh well. BTW, how many stock designs do you offer?, Actions? Barrels? Calibers?

M

Last edited:
We don't offer hundreds of different configurations. We do offer what we believe will work the best for a specific application. We have worked very hard to counteract the super magnum mentality, and bring some "hunting rifle" into long range shooting. We have hundreds of reamers, but we only recommend a handful of cartridges for most LR hunting applications. Our packaged system may not be for everyone, but neither is a savage long range hunter or remington PSS.

We don't offer hundreds of different configurations. We do offer what we believe will work the best for a specific application. We have worked very hard to counteract the super magnum mentality, and bring some "hunting rifle" into long range shooting. We have hundreds of reamers, but we only recommend a handful of cartridges for most LR hunting applications. Our packaged system may not be for everyone, but neither is a savage long range hunter or remington PSS.

Well said.

Many of us including myself appreciate your efforts to counteract the super magnum mentality.

stiller action - 925$ tac-300 or preadator
Mcmillan A-5 - 595$ or Manners t-2
lilja fluted - 500$ or broughton,brux,heart,krieger,
jewel - 205$
botm metal -200$ for good PTG or williams
optic - 1700 $ NF nsx
Rings 150 $ NF
dies 85$
pound of retumbo 22 $
100 bergers 37$
100 lapua or norma 100- 150 $ brass
pelican case 200 $
smith work 500-800 $

Give or take $$$ for another 500 $ surgeon 1086LA

5519.00 $$$ Tac-300
6019.00 $$$$ surgeon 1086LA

This is all retail and im sure could be done wholesale if you were volume...
Id sell them all day long if I could...... who wants to order one ???? LOL

I have owned many 'custom' guns and accurized factory guns etc. I have a little experience with the LR 1000. It is a Stiller Predator Action and a douglas barrel. The HS precision stock is nice.

4500 for this rifle is BS! plain and simple.

I have an Ed brown savanna that is full house custom and is much better than the LR 1000.
The EB is the best full custom I have owned or been around. I am awaiting my first surgeon GAP so we will see if it lasts. The GAP is a Tactical rifle though. MY ED Brown 300 WM will shoot lights out at 1K and is chaper than the GW LR1000.

I am a fan of the show and I think the guys are pretty good at what they do but I think they are getting a premium for a TV show eye candy.

I do not however have any experience with the HUskemaw scope. the turrets seem pretty slick. I might have to get a set for my scope.

As many have said before there are OPTIONS out there. Do your research and figureout what ou want and get r done!

We use Premium barrels from Tim at Broughton or Paul at Rock Creek on our premium rifle. Shilens on our budget gun. (just wanted to clarify).

By the way, we set up at least 175 customer rifles to shoot long range every year. They send in a good shooting gun, and we set up a scope and ammo. Its a good program for a budget setup. A side benefit, is that we have become very familiar with rifles of all makes and types from the savage to the Jarrett. We have a pretty good handle on real world performance.

I have tried to stay away from this thread for a couple months, to no avail!

Before I say anything I think it is important to mention that I am in no way affiliated with BOTW, or G7, or Gunwerks or Greybull. I don't own any of their products either. The info below is my opinion based on my research of their products, offerings, and contributions to our sport.

I am just amazed at how much grief these guys get on this forum. It seems that every time one of the above names comes up, or BDC turrets, etc., there is a fire storm of negativity headed their way. I just don't get it. They make excellent products that perform as promised. They are strong supporters of this sport which we all love, their innovation is at the top of the sport IMO, yet they just get hammered here.

I have been waiting for someone to properly point out some of the benefits to their system that most if not all other gunsmith's fall short on but have yet to hear it. These points may not be advantageous for most shooters here but they certainly are for some and are legitimate selling points worthy of note and could be worth the increased price they ask over typical custom guns.

So here are the things I find unique and beneficial about Gunwerks that should be considered when comparing them to other options.

· They do all the barrel break-in for the new gun. Don't know the proper way or don't have the time, no worries!

· They do load development for your gun and give the recipes for your use. How much is your time and lack of frustration worth?

· They ensure cold bore accuracy and group accuracy with your gun/load combo. I feel like I have a decent handle on how to do this but have had a couple guns that drove me nuts. To some this may be well worth the extra expense over a factory gun or custom gun with load or accuracy issues.

· They offer custom ammo for your gun at your specs. Very nice option if needed.

· They provide PROPER scope mounting. I will argue that most guys don't mount their scope correctly.

· They ballistic map your rifle/load combo. Whether you use this for their custom turret or for a more traditional method of shooting, the info provided is valuable for accurate real world shooting. This takes a lot of time to do correctly. How much $ is your time worth?

I think a strong argument can be made that a system like this could have real appeal to a number of guys.

· New guys to custom guns that don't know all the little secrets in getting the most out of a setup can be confident that they can hit the field with a fully capable gun.

· New shooters to LRH that don't have a great understanding of how to properly develop loads, do barrel break-in, properly mount a scope with no cant, collect ballistic data, etc could find extreme value in these additional services. Yes, they all need to practice A LOT before they go shoot animals at long distance!

· Guys like me that love this sport, understand much of the intricacies of shooting, reloading, ballistics, etc. but are just too stinking busy to spend the development time on a new traditional build could find their additional cost to be well worth it.

Their systems are expensive no doubt but they do offer very unique added benefits compared to most tradition gunsmiths and for some guys they may be well worth the extra cost. If not then we all have a host of other options. I personally am appreciative of having options and appreciate what they bring to our sport. Markets have a tendency to weed out the poor products and bad ideas all on their own. It seems that they are doing just fine. I think it may be beneficial, for the good of LRH in general, to be a bit more open-minded, seeing the potential of their added benefits to some shooters before we go off bashing so much.

My 2 cents!

Well put Scott! There is no perfect system for everyone but they definitely fill a need and no one is forced to buy anything.......Rich

Well put Scott! There is no perfect system for everyone but they definitely fill a need and no one is forced to buy anything.......Rich

Thats exactly right Rich. And even though I enjoy the DIY aspect of my new long range build in 6.5-.284, load development has been slow because of the wind and weather this spring, lucky if I can shoot productively one day a week. It is very time consuming and understandably it's not possible for everyone.

I just took delivery last week of my new custom woodchuck rifle but still on the same page as a lr gun
RBros smithed and stcoked 22-243
Defiance action fluted bolt with 20 moa rail
Broughton 5c 26" 8 twist
H&S stock
pillar bedded
Jewell trigger
DE Cheek piece
redding custom dies
Barrel broke in with test target and load development
Shipping 3 day air 3000 miles
$2,500.00

Mike

Kirby Allen made my .338RUM and he did almost all of the things that Scott listed. I found a gun nut who does hand loads for me. All of this well short of the $6500 mentioned earlier in this forum. And that includes the mounting of a NXS scope.

This seems like a lot of things these days. If you are willing to shop around, have some time for a good smith to put together exactly what you want you can save a fair amount of money.

If you prefer a turn key gun that sounds like it's very well built then you go with something like the LR 1000.

Depends how much time you want to spend. Either way in the end it's a kick in the pants how much fun it is.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.