Buying a Gunwerks LR-1000 a good choice?

Most of the fun I derive from shooting is learning about everything involved in the process.
I don't think you would enjoy your $6000.00 setup as much as if you took the time to learn about what caliber you want to shoot, build components such as the action, barrel, stock, ect. and find a smith to put it together for you.
Learning to reload is also part of the process.

You could setup a Remington Sendero rifle with a good scope for a hell of alot less than $6000 and have a very good setup to start with.

+1 the build is makes the kill all that much better

I'm very amazed that someone who doesn't have the TIME or interest to research and set up their own gun, sight it in, etc...etc....etc....is even into hunting and the shooting sports in general. I'm guessing it's just to have a trophy on the wall and bragging rights. This sport has become way over commercialized gun)

I'm very amazed that someone who doesn't have the TIME or interest to research and set up their own gun, sight it in, etc...etc....etc....is even into hunting and the shooting sports in general. I'm guessing it's just to have a trophy on the wall and bragging rights. This sport has become way over commercialized gun)

Interesting view but I am trying to find the place where it says that a hunter has to have vested interest in research and setup in order to be a real hunter. I guess that takes all guys that shoot over the counter weapons off your list of legitimate hunters?

Not sure who you are referring to but I wasn't talking about not having the understanding of how to sight in or taking the time to practice. Those things are very important.

But there are a lot of guys IMO that have all the knowledge and are great shooters but may not currently have or want to spend the time doing all the little detail work on a new build. Like I mentioned I see my self as potentially being one of those guys in the near future. I have 3 kids and I am happily busy in there lives. In reality I can see the next 5-10 years being even more busy with them and can see the potential draw towards a gunsmith that will do all the work for me and leave me with a completely ready-to-go gun that only requires minimal fine tuning and verification of data. This kind of gunsmith option still allows for a guy to buy a good custom gun, do the required practice to become accustomed and proficient with his new weapon and then go out and perform very well but hasn't spent as much time in the build, setup, workup, break-in part that can be very time intensive if done correctly.

I just today E-mailed Aaron a picture of a target that a VERY satisfied customer shot. He got his gun last year, LR1200 7MM with a huskamaw scope. I met him at the show in Harrisburg and he lived near me and needed a 1000 yard range. When we unpacked the gun, he confessed that he had never shot over 500 yards. I told him the gun was garanteed 1000Yards out of the box and his first shot was going to be at 1000 yards. We took off the 7000 foot turret and put on the 2000 footer and put him on the bench. after a couple of dry fires ,he shot the first shot. The bullet hit 4 inches high dead center. Had it been a ground hog , it would have been a head shot! Do you suppose he thought he paid too much for his gun? Don't think so! If I was smart enough to post the picture, I would, but I wasted a half of Lens day last time I tried so if Aaron reads this, maybe he'll post it. Lots of people are happy to spend 6500 for a gun that shoots that well.

Last edited:
I just recently became interested in owning a long range hunting rifle. One of the reasons I became a member of this site was to read and research. I would probably never buy a completed rifle because I'm a hands on type and enjoy being involved with the build and getting exactly the stuff I like. I have a list of parts to buy that I like and that I think would make a top notch 1000 yard rifle. The price of those parts is about $5000, that's just a pile of stuff not yet turned into a rifle. I can't do all of the work myself so in addition to the many hours I will spend working and researching I'm going to have to spend a few hundred dollars for some help. Based on that, $6500 for a hunt ready ready rifle package doesn't sound out of line to me.

Just to clarify my post, I'm not saying these completed guns systems are not worth their money, I do understand the time and money it took to research these systems. My issue is only with a very select few people who buy these who have never hunted, don't know anything about guns, and go out hunting just to do it. I myself have used a gunsmith to put together a few rifles for me with parts I have chosen and researched and that was the fun and learning experience of it. Didn't mean to offend anyone. :D

Don't know about anyone else but I'm not offended. I sure wouldn't critisize anyone who has the ability to put togather a good gun and I have a lot of admiration for most of them, but if the truth be known, counting all that I've spent on reloading supplies, cronographs , scopes , targets,bore scopes , powder measures, and I don't know how many "I need one of these", I probably could have bought several LR1000s!! I shoot trap with a bunch of guys who think nothing of spending 20,000 on a trap gun but 6500 is too much for a rifle? It is all in what you want, Thank God we live in America where we can have guns and the freedom to use them!!

I personally think if you have the money and that is what you want to spend it on then go for it. From what I have read and seen, the gunwerks rifles are first class hunting rifles. I have a few custom rifles for long range hunting that I have had to break in the barrels and build accurate loads for. While I have the time and want to do this, some guys don't. Those gunwerks guys make it easy for anyone to get into longrange hunting and I think that is great for this sport. Personally though, I prefer the 1200 model since I am a 7MM RUM fan!

I was going to say $6000 sounds reasonable given all what they do for you quality components labor Barrel brake in data collection cerakote $1870 NF scope with rings that match the scope scopes coating I assume nice case its actually really a good gun id say its a full custom if they let you pick some more options.

but i just cheeked the website its now $7000 plus tax and that is just the standard version no muzzle brake no fluteing like they show in the pic thats a few hundred extra for that.
That is more than I want to spend on a hunting rifle I think you can get more rifle than that for the money if you go it on your own and you will be able to make everything on it how you want.

I,m going to try to post the picture of the first shot out of the box gun. 980 yards, 9 inch red dot!

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
At a comp last sunday there was 26 shooters the first shot was a clay target in the snow 511 yards cold bore one shot three people hit it two uesd gunwerks rifles

Guys. I operate on a budget too! We will true and rebarrel a Rem 700 for $700. Other services are priced ala carte as well. If you want to DIY, we are glad to help.

If you want mid price point, we usually have rifles ready to ship in the LR-Hunter model with custom actions and Vortex HS LR scopes.

As usual, when you try to get the last bit of performance from a product, the cost increases accordingly. If a customer is interested in the best we have to offer, an LR-1000 with the G7 by Nightforce is my pick.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.