Gunwerks LR-1000

i really like their tv shows and wish they had more...i was very impressed with the reviews and detail of information that BOTW provides with their Huskemaw scopes in which made me buy one (5-20-50 Blue diamond) placed on a heavy barrell sendero(new model). Due to this scope and their expertise which exceeds mine made me a better shooter (even though, my gunsmith said it was a fancy Tasco). im a beginner and am shooting nicely at 500 yards already which i give credit to this scope.
Last gun show i had the opportunity to pick up and fondle a black widow from gunworks and it was not only a beauty but also the fit was pretty sweet. at $9600, i really thought it was overpriced for a modified remington. Heck, my $10,500 side by side shotgun would put this rifle to shame as far as quality. i understand that a rifle to shotgun is not a correct comparison.
When we are talking 6-10 in groups at 1000 yrds and beyond and then we take a look at other builders that are claiming 4 inches at 1000yrds (for ex: len backus) for less money even though i have no experience with them it makes us shooters think about the price especially in our economy. However, the rifle was a beauty. sorry, not trying to bash anyone just an honest opinion.

I know this is an old thread and I am new, but here goes;

First, Aaron and Mike Davison should be lauded for their efforts in promoting LRH. Because of them and Gunwerks 'Long Range University', I have learned more about shooting than in the past 40+ years of hunting. It's because of shows like 'Long Range Pursuit, BOTW, and Extreme Outer Limits' that I found this forum. Do I lust after an LR1000? You know it.

So here is my question for those vastly more experienced than myself. I shoot a Sako 7mm topped with a new Huskemaw with the BDC turret loaded with Gunwerks 168gr Berger VLD's. In obtaining the ballistics data, it was zeroed to 200yds and shot out to 700yds. I confirmed their 200yd zero using a bench rest in mild conditions similar but less windy than the data day. Recently I went to the range with the new custom turret and using the bench found that my 200yd group was 6in higher. Again these were mild but 30 degree colder conditions and the only other major change was an exceptionally good cleaning with KR products as shown on the Gunwerks videos. This is a rifle that received a cleaning with conventional products after most hunting seasons. Is it possible that the proper cleaning changed my MV, all other things being equal, or am I out to lunch?

Welcome to LRH!

When you cleaned the rifle,
did you change the torque in the action screws?
Is it pillar bedded and glass bedded?
Was the riflescope mounted properly?
etc., etc.,

It seems to me something moved. I don't think velocity change is responsible for
that... in other words it would have to be too much of a velocity change.

Was your rifle sling screw getting caught on the front rest?

Think of things that you could have possibly done different.

Like... did you remove the action from the rifle stock?

Cleaning your rifle should not produce such a dramatic swing.

The first thing that comes to mind is "Did you remove the action from the stock and clean it completely?"

If you did so and do not torque the action screws to exactly the same level each time you can cause some pretty significant shifts in POI particularly if the rifle is not properly floated and bedded.

Failure to torque things properly is very important and that includes the action screws as well as the scope mounts/rings.

If everything else is correct, upon inspection my bet is that you have a scope problem such as improperly mounting the new BDC turrett.

All valid and interesting reasons I mostly wouldn't have thought of;

The barrell is free floating to the stock factory action. It wasn't taken apart for the cleaning. The scope was professionally mounted(not by me) and not removed.

The sling, however, was on the gun, when it was not for any of the other sessions. How could the sling, if it was folded under the forestock, affect the process?

Otherwise I definitely agree that is a lot of change. Thanks for the input!

I really enjoy the show and all the information they provide. I wish I can owe one of their rifles. I really like the carbon fibre barrels. I wish they made a 270wsm. iheard that that they use proof research and the barrels are saturns. I also heard that the other barrels are made by jury barrels. not sure if this is true or not. however, I enjoy their shows and they are great ambassadors for long range.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts