burning exposed lead tip?

what if he meant that the tip gets swadged (sp?) / reformed during the trip down the barrel and to the target. The interpretation of results may have been miss stated.

He was saying that there was not POI change with bullets that had deformed points. Correct? Therefore I wonder if he meant there was not meaningful change in POI due to loss of aerodynamic proficiency. Or, he could be proposing that temperature combined with friction swadges the bullet's tip to a more uniform point.

Here ya go folks.
Straight from the horse's mouth...so to speak.

Good morning Konrad,

Thanks for the email and the question.

I have had this question before and it has no merit. The bullet is not in the air long enough to generate enough heat to cause point deformation from air induced friction.

Now if you have a thin jacket and soft core at extreme velocities it is possible to experience bullet failure induced by the jacket spinning around the core at which point you will see spirals of dark material on the target IF the bullet makes it to the target but that is a whole different set of circumstances.

Rich

Rich Machholz

Ballistic Technician

NRA Life Member
1400 W. Henry St. Sedalia, MO 65301

Questions? Call us toll free 800-223-8799

Check out my latest blog post at sierrabullets.wordpress.com.

Sierra keeps their techs a long time I guess... I was talking to Rich about 25wssm reloading data when I first got one before any data came out back in '05. At that time he was working with a mauser and shooting a buddy's stw at 1000 yds.
What's with all this horse talk-- horses mouth... horse hockey... I've got visions of a Clidesdale on an iced up lake kicking around a cowpie.

I haven't seen the article, but the answer here is "Yes" . . . and "No". Yes, atmospheric resistance is enough to generate temperatures well in excess of that required to melt lead, as someone already pointed out. There's a bit more involved here, and as Rich alluded to, one of those is time. It takes time for the heat to be transferred throughout the entire mass of the bullet. We're talking about milliseconds here, but it DOES take time. What we actually get is boundary layers of lead melting off, but the shape probably remains pretty much constant throughout the flight, just getting a tad smaller as it progresses downrange. The technical term for this action is "ablation."

As to cores becoming molten, yes, they absolutely do, but often in a similar manner; by boundary layers. NOT the entire core becoming liquid upon firing, but minutely, over the space of fractions of a second as the bullet progresses downrange. Eric Stecker and Berger Bullets spent some major $ to have this phenomenon analyzed some years back, and it was a very interesting series of tests. Bullets were photographed in flight with a thermal process that allowed temperature variations to bee seen as different colors on the bullet itself. The two hottest points on the bullet? The first was the bearing surface, where the rifling had engraved. This isn't really surprising, considering the frictional forces that are in process during the bullets passage through a barrel. The temps shown on the thermal images were clearly more than enough to melt lead, and they were obviously doing so. The second (and this was a bit surprising), was the meplat and very forwardmost portion of the ogive. This area was actually hotter than the engraved bearing surface, and again, was well in excess of what's needed to melt lead.

Boddington has it right, or at least, in part. It sounds like he may have expanded that notion a bit beyond what actually takes place in flight, but basically, his statement is correct.

Here's something that everyone may be able to relate to, since it's fairly common, and many shooters will have seen this; grey streaks in flight, coming from the projectile. That's melted lead, outgassing from the bullet in flight. And bullets exploding in air, with what looks like a little FLAK burst between target and rifle? Again, molten lead that outgasses violently against a jacket that has been compromised in some way. At the Small Arms Firing School at Camp Perry a couple years back, we had huge problems with this, due o a combination of thinly jacketed match bullets, fast 1x7" twist rates, and very rough throats in the high-mileage Service Rifles that the army provided for the school. As I recall, at least 10-15% of the bullets going down range would literally explode about halfway to the target, while others gave off a very pronounced smoke trails as they went downrange. The ammunition was Hornady 75 grain Match ammo. The same ammo was being used by the Marine Corps clinic being taught over on Rodriguez range, and they had no problems with it whatsoever. They also had newer (USMC) rifles with bores that were in much better condition. The next year, Rock River Arms provided brand new rifles for the school, and Hornady again provided the same ammo. Not a bit of problem, and I don't recall seeing or hearing a single complaint about bullet blow-up.

Lots of things going on here, and it sounds like Boddington oversimplified his statement. Yes, the lead melts, yes, it outgasses and departs from the bullet itself, but no, I doubt that the tips melt "completely off" as it makes its way downrange.

Kevin,

Thanks for the great reply.

So now I'd wonder, with a plastic tip (eg. Nosler Ballistic Tip) would you not have any problems with lead melting at least at the tip portion of the bullet? I know you'll still have heat on the meplat and grooves.

And has anyone ever tested an all-copper bullet such as a Barnes?

Patrick

Patrick,

I'm sure there would be some melting of the polymer, but I suspect that it would be a similar process to the ablation I described previously. Time, and heat transfer are the main elements. While the heat transfer of the lead would take a measure of time, it's still a pretty reasonable conductor of heat. Polymer isn't. I suspect that the surface layers would ablate without passing too much heat on down to the rest of the tip. My suspicions only here, and no, I've never seen any testing of this nature done with poly tipped projectiles.

As far as the monolithic bullets go, I'm not sure there's any issues that would really warrant such an investigation. Berger spent some major money to do this, because they were having problems with their bullets and needed to find answers. The answers were fascination, and of some benefit to all of us. This, incidentally, was the study that resulted in their creating a separate line of "Match" and "Hunting" bullets; the "Match" bullets had their jackets thickened slightly to delay that heat transfer, and it eliminated their blow-up problems. As I pointed out in the SAFS comments, it can still exist in a "worst case" scenario, but that's kinda what makes it such an interesting phenomenon. Just rounded up a copy of the Guns and Ammo piece, and will read it here shortly. You guys got me curious now!

Coming from an elastomer molding back ground it strikes me as odd that designers would incorporate materials that would resist deformation from recoil in magazines and yet melt at roughly half the temperature of most plastics. Even nylons melt between 374 and 663F. Most thermoplastics begin to liquefy at around 350F.

It makes very good sense that the highest temperatures midrange would be about the center of the ogive. As in an airfoil the highest degree of frictional heat buildup is where the highest angle of incidence occurs and not necessarily at the actual leading edge. A spitzer meplat offers the least surface area for air friction to act upon whereas the ogive is the surface that actually does most of the work in forcing the air mass apart. I conceded that there is some degree of heat buildup at the very point of a spitzer bullet; however, I find it difficult to see a lead point being exposed to enough time/heat to actually become plasticized and be thrown off.

If indeed this happened all the time, one should see the "grey streaks" all of the time regardless of bore condition or spin rate. Merely using a "good" bore would produce little improvement.
One should also be able to see the grey streaks at a specifically defined air temperature and velocity (i.e. scientifically repeatable).

One can only wonder if the rough throats (and most probably bores) of the rifles you were using, combined with thin jackets and rapid spin rates contributed to damaged jackets allowing centrifugal forces to overwhelm the integrity of those projectiles and lead to their destruction.

I've been working with cast bullets in both pistols and rifles for many years now and I've never had any bullet noses ablate off due to heating, and those bullets have a heck of a lot more metplat than a spitzer does. I'm not saying a bit of erosion due to ablation or dust in the air doesn't occur, but the amount is miniscule enough to be of little concern to the average long range shooter. I'm at 1,200 fps to 1,600 fps in my 44 pistol with cast and 2,000 fps in my 375 h@h with cast and both will shoot as well as jacketed or mono bullets in the respective weapons. I hope to get to 2,300 fps with a cast 288 grain 405 slug with my 405 with minute of buckhorn sights accuracy; that'd be a good brush load for mule deer in the badlands.:D

Lyman has done some odd things over the years and one was a paper patched lead pill in 30 cal that was capable of 3,000 fps out of an '06 sized 30 cal with moa accuracy capabilities (lyman cast bullet handbook page 114); the bullets were making it to the target so I do doubt they were vaporizing on the way there.:) The moulds aren't available at this time but from what I've seen over on castboolets there are a couple of specialty makers making moulds specifically for paper patching lead to get good velocity from it.

I've been doing a bit of reading on commonly used lead based alloys and the consensus is that most of them will melt within 100f either way of 600f. With only about 900 degrees on tap to heat with melting a lead bullet to any significant extent will take quite a bit of time. A bit like passing with a car in 5th gear when it's a gutless 4 banger to start with.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.