Bullet Terminal Performance Test - Want In?

Are you gonna run any Wildcats through that 264??? I'd like to see the 142 and anything heavier if Richard has it.. I'll see what my next order has and send some down if you want..

When are you planning on doing this???

Last edited:
Wish I had the time off! I'm not that far away in Cheyenne. I think it's a great idea! It's a far more accurate test than ballistic gel or wet phone books.

Sounds like the perfict place for the .338 !

If your going to film the shot why not knock that pig on
his *** .

Besides; if he weighs 800lbs thats about the size of an Elk.
( good way to test your Elk load at distance.)

J E CUSTOM

Loading the "Ol Boar" into a pickup might be the better video or should I say rodeo. I distinctly remember my brother in law trying to load a young bull into a truck bed several years ago. He never did get it loaded until he shot it and winched it in. Now that was funny right there.

Boar

Very true, we tried to load a boar that was probably 300+lbs and did not want to go.
It was an experience to say the least. The owner had really messed with him the day before and hit him with the prod bunch of times, so nice and easy wasnt going to work.

This is a great idea! I like your style buddy,

I would ask the impact velocities match the distance you would shoot from.

You may have to load down for that or shoot from the distance, which ever is easiest.

264 win mag would do me.

I love the idea. I love it so much, I actually posted the same idea on the other thread 2 minutes before I read your post. Wish I could be there.

Rocky

This pig is big

Took a gander at the subject porker yesterday.:eek:

Will get a pic today.

Well its today and I didn't get a decent picture. Couldn't get the big guy out of the shade of the hut.

However he is one solid mass of muscle. I'd guess at least 18" across the shoulder. I doubt that any thing that will be here for the test will penetrate that spot completely. There is plenty of room for shots though.

So far we have only major manufacturer LRH bullets to test. 225 Accubonds, 300 SMKs. Will have some WC 169s if they arrive in time. I have some 195 WCs but I don't think they would pass the test (maybe with another barrel but not mine)

I also have some Hornady and Sierra 270 bullets to try with the 270 Win.

Cross, from Idaho Falls (IF) will bring some fire power also. 300 RUM, 264 Win etc.

The farmer and none of the acquaintances or neighbors want in the video. If fact they are getting kind of distant.:)

Gotta dig some holes for the rail road ties. See ya later:rolleyes:

Last edited:
No up dates yet. The old boy is still makin' bacon. Should be finished this week. Then the farmer is gonna do him in.

He's not a big as the farmer thinks. It looks like somewhere around 20 inches through the shoulders. Should be one heck of a test.

I'm going to have to figure a back stop to catch any bullet that penetrates. Any Ideas?

If they'll travel through 20" of a porker, that's good enough for me. Pigs are pretty dense. I'm always surprised how heavy they are for their size.

MTRman,

Good Idea!

I have some cut up to for insulation in my "meat" haulin' trailer. Like, I'm ever gonna need that.:rolleyes:

We'll put the stuff to use.

Tomorrow is pig day.

Mr. Porker arrives tomorrow.

Don't know the time perzacly but the hangin' rig will be in place and a decent back stop built including the distant sand bank.

I don't know what the Sigma subTransport (deflection from bullet path after impact) would be but I'm thinking that a bullet out of a decent boomer should deflect greater than 90 degrees though this fella has some large bones.

Rube Goldberg would be proud of this:rolleyes:

Question: Does bullet spin rate make a difference. I'd like to reduce the loads to duplicate energies/velocities at LR but wonder (just a bit:rolleyes:) about the spin. I don't suppose it would have much effect except for possibly stability upon entrance.:confused:

So far bullets are:

338: 300 SMKs
225 NABs
250 Hornady Match

277: 195 RBBTs (will be definitely reduced MVs
150 Nosler BTs (they otta be real bone crushers:rolleyes:)
140 Barnes XBTs

If Cross can make it there'll be some 264 & 300 Rum shots also.

Plus well see what my new XD-9 Subcompact will do. BTW, this is one sweet hand gun. 12 shots in one ragged symetrical hole off hand at 20 Yds. My son did it, I just fire for affect.:mad:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.