Bullet Terminal Performance Test - Want In?

royinidaho

Hey fellas, I have one heck of an opportunity for some terminal performance tests.

My neighbor never heard of a thing such as bullet testing. Dairy Farmers:rolleyes: He doesn't under stand LRH in the least. He's the kind of guy that goes on a deer hunt up a local canyon and sees elk. Runs to town and gets an elk tag. Goes back to the spot and never sees them again.

However he does have an 800# boar that needs put down. Its worth exactly nothin' for whatever use, he says. He figures that a 22 shell and less than 5 bucks worth of diesel to dig the hole will do the job.

I figure we'll haul the big fella out by my backstop and do him in with the 22. Then suspend him upside down between rail road ties. That saves the farmer from having to dig a hole. Hey, 5 bucks is 5 bucks:rolleyes:

Some Sharpie points of impact and a couple of video cameras a decent knife and things should be ready to go.

I have access to rifles for the following Cartridges:

264 Win Mag.
270 Win
270 AM
7mm Rem Mag - if I get it finished in time.
338 RUM
375 H&H

I figure to video both on and off sides when the shot hits. However I do need a volunteer camera man for the off side part.:D

The target subject will then become coyote bait.

Whatcha think?

Jeff Foxworthy needs to hear about this.

Hey fellas, I have one heck of an opportunity for some terminal performance tests.

My neighbor never heard of a thing such as bullet testing. Dairy Farmers:rolleyes: He doesn't under stand LRH in the least. He's the kind of guy that goes on a deer hunt up a local canyon and sees elk. Runs to town and gets an elk tag. Goes back to the spot and never sees them again.

However he does have an 800# boar that needs put down. Its worth exactly nothin' for whatever use, he says. He figures that a 22 shell and less than 5 bucks worth of diesel to dig the hole will do the job.

I figure we'll haul the big fella out by my backstop and do him in with the 22. Then suspend him upside down between rail road ties. That saves the farmer from having to dig a hole. Hey, 5 bucks is 5 bucks:rolleyes:

Some Sharpie points of impact and a couple of video cameras a decent knife and things should be ready to go.

I have access to rifles for the following Cartridges:

264 Win Mag.
270 Win
270 AM
7mm Rem Mag - if I get it finished in time.
338 RUM
375 H&H

I figure to video both on and off sides when the shot hits. However I do need a volunteer camera man for the off side part.:D

The target subject will then become coyote bait.

Whatcha think?

I'd like to see what a 270 wsm would do.

???

Hey hey hey, you shoot the elk first THEN go buy the tag;).
I really dont see the point in turning a pig into swiss cheese just because, sounds childish.
But video taping it so everyone can think all hunters are like this is a GREAT idea(insert sarcasm here). It took me about 2 shots to realize the power my 300rum had, a real no brainer.
Id rather pop-em and then sit over him as coyote bait in some out of the way location for a week.

robbor,

It's not just because. It's a legitimate test of bullets on an animal that is going to be killed and wasted for a reason that hasn't been explained and doesn't need to be explained from my perspective. I don't think the pig will mind after it's dead, and it's not being killed for this purpose. Anyone else that gets their dander up over this won't have their opinions changed one way or the other anyhow - they've already crossed over into the useless zone.

I'm pretty sure the farmer isn't going to waste his pig if it has value as an edible hog, but I'm don't demand an explanation. I say swiss cheese it in the effort to help ensure we're using the most effective bullets available for humane kills in our long range hunting. Doesn't mean my opinion is any more or less valid than your's though.

Roy,

I think the carcass should still be warm for the most representative test results. A cold carcass will probably be a bit different than the warm carcass.

Last edited:
About the pig.

His days are over. He is no longer useful for breeding. Nor is he good for eating. No sale ring would take him. An 800# boar has a reasonable amount of the wrong chemicals/hormones circulating. It is said that he could be "cut" then fed out for a couple of months and the farmer has put the pencil to that. The cost of corn and soy beans is way to high to risk it. If cutting then feeding would make the meat edible, the going price would be less than $0.20 per pound. Even using live weight that would be $60.00 income to cover about 3 times that in feed. There ain't no western farmer (note not a tree hugger hobby farmer) gonna do that.

As I said above, he's gonna 22 it then bury it in the back pasture which is legal if its your animal and your property. I'm going to purchase the pig alive and haul it and pay him for his effort. Then the 22 and bullet testing follows.

All sensible, legal and useful.

BTW, it doesn't take much driving around the local desert to see the dead horses, goats, sheep etc that were pets or otherwise useful to people. Due to the cost of feed and no butcher market for horses, they are bloated all over the desert.

Now that's a shame!

BTW, it will be warm. Temp will be in the 80s. Testing will be completed with maybe 30 minutes. I'll even track internal temperature trends if ya want. But don't tell mamma that what her meat thermometer is being used for.;)

Roy, could we get the blue collar comedy team up there for some material? i can't even imagine what they would come up with if all this is done in front of them.

with this experiment you're gonna have an awful loafty status in the redneck rankings!

Which bullets are going to be tested, at what impact velocity? I might have some here if needed.

I think it's a valid test, providing you take into consideration the shoulder shield on a boar.

Roy,
If the test proceeds the most important tool you could utilize is a metal detector. I have recovered a lot of bullets from wild hogs and the metal detector makes it very simple and quick.
Good luck with your venture. You also need some pill containers or small ziplocks to place the recovered bullets in, make sure you keep good notes so they do not get mixed up.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts