Bullet puller? What do you have?

RCBS puller with the size you need to pull your bullet. Easy enough, and, I had one not grip the bullet well. Contacted RCBS and they sent me a good one at no charge.
I reuse the pulled bullet...powder usually, reweighed it...if it is same day.

The hammer ones work on heavy bullets in stuff like 45 ACP. But, I do not enjoy hammering on whatever ( my bench ), and is messy. Re Use bullet but not powder.

Another fan of the collet/die puller. Can't stand the mess a hammer puller makes. I've never used a grip n pull.

I have all and prefer the Grip and pull. I wear a glove to make it more comfortable on the hand. Also I have better performance when I expand the handle to get the grip n pull to sit on top of the case neck before pulling the bullet.

Have also tried all 3 types, definitely prefer grip & pull. Especially since all my pulled bullets go into practice or cold bore rounds.

I have a hammer and a collet. If I have just one that needs to be pulled I use the hammer. If I have more than one or want to reuse the components then I use the collet.

I have read about collet/die, inertia/hammer style and the Grip-N-Pull style.

Would love to be educated on this? Would only be used for if working up a load, I run into pressure and want to pull the remaining bullets. Not sure how often this will happen as I probably won't go over listed max change in book (at least till I have been reloading awhile).

Thanks
Steve
I have the hammer puller but prefer to use the method of putting cartridge back in press with no die. I extend the cartridge up through the press and lay needle nose pliers on top of the opening in the press and clamp on bullet with the cutting section of the needle nose and pull case back down in press. Very quick and no powder spilled and have even reused bullet(s) with no loss in accuracy as light cutter marks are above ogive, or throw bullets in coffee can and use new ones. It is usually no more than four or five so usually dispose of bullets. But is very quick and easy.

I have a dedicated small RCBS press with the collet die mounted to my bench top. Broke three hammer styles. Like the collet best!

Would love to be educated on this? Would only be used for if working up a load, I run into pressure and want to pull the remaining bullets. Not sure how often this will happen as I probably won't go over listed max change in book (at least till I have been reloading awhile).

Thanks
Steve
I use the hammer and it works great especially if the bullet is NOT crimped hard, I have pulled Factory bullets with it these only take an extra tap. however you need to make sure you are hitting on a thick piece of HARD wood or concrete floor. 2-3 smacks and you're done, I've never had bullet deform as the plastic case isn't sharp enough to do damage to a metal or lead bullet.

Thanks
Steve[/QUOTE I have the collet and inertia styles and what I use depends on the bullet I'm pulling. If its an expensive one, such as the new A tip, the inertia puller with cotton stuffed into the bottom is the only way to go. As far as powder spills it stays within the inertia chamber and can be poured directly into a powder dish. For all others I use the collet puller exclusively.

I have a Hornady press mounted collet puller. I tried a kinetic one once; never again. And I don't have enough strength in my hands anymore to use a grip and pull.

Depends a lot on what you are pulling. Jacketed bottleneck rifle rounds without a crimp are easy and quick with a collet. If the bullet has a heavy miltary crimp with sealant or was given a tight crimp into a cannelure with a Lee FCD it can take more muscle and may be better with the hammer type to overcome the crimp without bullet damage. If you are dealing with the other end of the speed spectrum and shoot cast bullets, the collet puller will mangle even hard cast. Completely forget about anything soft with any tool besides the kinetic hammer. Same goes with pistol rounds. The collet can be quick but seems like can be difficult to get a good grip since they have a sharp slope or rounded profile compared to the long taper of a rifle bullet.

For what it's worth I've whacked a bunch of rounds over the years and never had a primer go off.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.