Bullet puller? What do you have?

C
I have read about collet/die, inertia/hammer style and the Grip-N-Pull style.

Would love to be educated on this? Would only be used for if working up a load, I run into pressure and want to pull the remaining bullets. Not sure how often this will happen as I probably won't go over listed max change in book (at least till I have been reloading awhile).

Thanks
Steve
Collet style is absolutely the quickest, cleanest, and easiest way to remove and reuse bullets. Especially if you have a Forster press, or Hornady quick load adapter for your dies which makes it easy to switch back and forth with your dies.

Would love to be educated on this? Would only be used for if working up a load, I run into pressure and want to pull the remaining bullets. Not sure how often this will happen as I probably won't go over listed max change in book (at least till I have been reloading awhile).

Thanks
Steve

Well Steve, You can now say you have been educated on bullet pullers. :):):)
The choice is yours.

J E CUSTOM

Kinetic hammer is okay if you have one or two to pull...PITA!

I prefer my RCBS collet/die method for dissembling rounds quick and easy during load work-up.

I have a hammer and a collet but like J E says , it just doesn't feel right beating a live round in a piece of plastic on cement . I went to a block of hard maple but still didn't feel right . Don't get me wrong , it worked ever time and they are cheap but dang just that thought . I use only the collet when needed , saves having to buy new shorts. Lol

Thanks
Steve
Grip-N-Pull is by far the best in my opinion. I'll never own another one.

As you see a lot of opinions! The grip-n-pull is the easiest if you are loading with bushings and do minimal neck sizing. As mentioned it may be tough to grip bullets with tight necks. I shoot moly coated bullets ( I know I'm old fashioned and still like moly) and find sometimes it won't grip moly coated bullets. It is the easiest way to pull bullets for sure but the collet is the best all around in my experience.

I installed rubber grips on my grin-n-pull handle and made a considerable improvement on the ability to grip!!!

I use a Grip-N-Pull, and it works pretty well. If used properly, it only leaves a small mark on the bullet jacket, and I have not noticed that it affects accuracy, and still use the bullets. with the grip and pull, I do recommend getting some rubber tool handle dip, and dip the handle a few times. It makes it more comfortable to use, especially if you have more than just a few bullets to pull or if you have really old ammo that has cold welded to the case neck.
Although I have seldom encountered a true weld situation I occasionally run "old" loaded rounds through the bullet seating die to seat the bullet a .001 deeper. This avoids crushing my arthritic fingers. Then the bullets are easily removed with the Grip-N-Pull or a collet die.
I like the idea of using the rubber tool handle dip. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks
Steve
Hornaday lock- n- load puller it is a die for your press that you have to purchase caliber specific collets it works great if you use this you will never use a hammer puller again

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.