bullet expansion test results

Spent the day yesterday testing the new Sledge Hammer line of bullets. We tested in a 25cal and several 30's and 338's. I'll get the 88g .243 Hammer Hunters and the 181 .308 Hammer Hunters out for you today and I'll throw in the left overs from our testing yesterday for you to torture. They are not designed as a long range bullet but did very well at low vel and were perfect as high as we could get them. We sent the 130g Sledge Hammer out of the RUM at an incredible vel just to see. :D Anyway they are designed for conventional hunting at short to medium range.

Steve

I hope your making one of those bullet boards with one of all of these :), I could send you some 7mm 150 ablr when I tested them they got into 5th water jug at 20 and 380 yards nice bullets recovered leaving barrel at 2850 fps also have 129s

Spent the day yesterday testing the new Sledge Hammer line of bullets. We tested in a 25cal and several 30's and 338's. I'll get the 88g .243 Hammer Hunters and the 181 .308 Hammer Hunters out for you today and I'll throw in the left overs from our testing yesterday for you to torture. They are not designed as a long range bullet but did very well at low vel and were perfect as high as we could get them. We sent the 130g Sledge Hammer out of the RUM at an incredible vel just to see. :D Anyway they are designed for conventional hunting at short to medium range.

Steve

Ya thanks for the tease... now what vel was that 130 sent and what the heck happened?
(insert big ? for the big green grin) lol

Ya thanks for the tease... now what vel was that 130 sent and what the heck happened?
(insert big ? for the big green grin) lol

Here is a pic.

30130SH high vel.jpg

Muzzle vel of 4108fps caught at 20ft. 64% weight retention. Same bullet launched into media at less than 1800fps retained 84%. Was pretty dramatic on impact at 4100fps. :cool:

Steve

NICE! and even more impressive is the same at 1800'......Rich

It was not as deformed at the slow impact but did what we want to see and opened to the bottom of the HP and shed the petals.

Can't imagine what a 4000fps impact on a game animal would be like with 130g projectile. It would be destructive to say the least. I don't think I could claim minimal meat damage on that one. :D

Steve

Amazing thread. Reminds me of one I saw on Lucky Gunner doing a bunch of handgun loads from shorter barrels for concealed carry. That's how I decided what 9mm ammo to use since it was only coming out of a 3.5in barrel and the police issue stuff wasn't expanding at that velocity. Awesome to see you lower the velocities to match with the bullets speed at longer ranges and not just the impressive full speed at 100 yard pictures that exist elsewhere

This is an awesome thread and great work! I love seeing bullets tested like this and the variety of projectiles and calibers you are testing really makes this very informative and a great source! Keep up the work!gun)

This is an awesome thread and great work! I love seeing bullets tested like this and the variety of projectiles and calibers you are testing really makes this very informative and a great source! Keep up the work!gun)

+1 I hope everybody appreciates how much work it is to do what he has done! Are you ready to holler uncle yet Yorke:D

Elkaholic, I got your bullets yesterday. I'll start working on those this weekend.

York I'd send you some ELD-X's and some Peregrine VRG4's and their new, experimental VLR's that are still in testing if you wanted to try them.
That'd be great if you can spare a few!

Steve

Perfect! I ordered up the 88's and then remembered that I have 1-7" twist 243 at a friend's house. If I had remembered about that one I would have ordered up some of the 101's to test too!

I hope your making one of those bullet boards with one of all of these :), I could send you some 7mm 150 ablr when I tested them they got into 5th water jug at 20 and 380 yards nice bullets recovered leaving barrel at 2850 fps also have 129s

I'll test anything you can spare if you have a few extras. And I hadn't thought of doing a bullet board, but I will now! When I'm done I'll work on getting pictures of each unfired bullet next to an expanded one along with the impact velocity.

And for the record, this whole project escalated a bit beyond what I had originally planned.:D I think I need to quit my job so I have more time to work on this though!

Elkaholic, I got your bullets yesterday. I'll start working on those this weekend.

That'd be great if you can spare a few!

Perfect! I ordered up the 88's and then remembered that I have 1-7" twist 243 at a friend's house. If I had remembered about that one I would have ordered up some of the 101's to test too!

I'll test anything you can spare if you have a few extras. And I hadn't thought of doing a bullet board, but I will now! When I'm done I'll work on getting pictures of each unfired bullet next to an expanded one along with the impact velocity.

And for the record, this whole project escalated a bit beyond what I had originally planned.:D I think I need to quit my job so I have more time to work on this though!
My PM's are busted but you can email me at wildrosegsps at gmail.com

Alright, I had planned to get a lot more testing done this weekend but work, weather and sick kids are getting in the way. For this round of testing I tried changing my medium a bit by adding water and just throwing in the leather instead of layering it like I had in the past. I did see a change in penetration but no discernible change in expansion with the bullets tested. The biggest issue with the new method is that it's early impossible to get a good measurement on penetration since I can't really remove the leather in layers like I did before. Here's the setup I used yesterday.

My testing got cut short after a the snow rolled in and I couldn't see the target at 100 yards any more. I did get 7 new bullets tested though out of the 26 that I have to test at the moment. Yesterday's test guns included the Ruger 77 300 Win Mag, 338/375 Ruger Savage Striker and to test the 270 bullets, I used a 270 AR. For those not familiar with it it's a wildcat formed from shortened 6.5x47 Lapua brass with a case capacity of 43.2gr.

Like previous tests, 2 shots were fired at 100 yards with each load. Because of the different style of testing used this time out I won't include the penetration. I'm not confident that I was able to get good measurements on any of the bullets this time around. I will not that the shank of the Hammer bullets Sledgehammers made it almost completely through the test medium.

270 AR
-130gr Swift Scirocco II
- Muzzle velocity 2571 fps

Retained velocity at impact is approximately 2400 fps with retained weights of 125.5gr and 126.8. This would be similar to the impact velocity from a 270 Win at 400 yards.

-130gr Nosler E-Tip
- Muzzle velocity 2565 fps

Retained velocity on impact is approximately 2400 fps with retained weights of 129.1 and 129.3 grains. These bullets showed the second best penetration of the loads tested. Again, this impact velocity is similar to a 270 Win at 400 yards. This is a bullet that I have on hand and will likely test some more. The mild load I used for this test shot under 1 MOA and would perform very well as a 300 yard hunting load from the AR with a muzzle velocity of about 2700 fps.

-135gr Sierra MK
- Muzzle velocity 2580 fps

Retained velocity on impact is approximately 2425 fps. Retained weight would be considered zero in my mind. The cores completely separated from the jackets after very little penetration. This result is dramatically different than my experience with the 300gr SMK in this test.

338/375 Ruger
- 224gr Sledgehammer
- Muzzle velocity 2160 fps

Retained velocity on impact is approximately 1975 fps. Retained weight of the bullet shanks after petal separation are 186.2 and 186.3 grains. Impact velocity was calculated using a BC of .3 due to the relatively large HP and blunt profile of these bullets. As stated earlier, these bullets out penetrated everything else tested yesterday by a considerable margin.

- 250gr Sierra MK
- Muzzle velocity 2610 FPS

Retained velocity on impact is approximately 2440 fps. Retained weight of the bullets is again what I would consider zero. The jacket and cores completely separated very quickly after impact and penetrated only a few inches. This impact velocity would be similar to a 338 Lapua/338 RUM at 400 yards.

300 Win Mag
- 210 Nosler ABLR
- Muzzle velocity 2620

Retained velocity on impact is approximately 2500 fps with retained weights of 160.4gr and 128.3gr. This load ended up with a higher muzzle velocity than I wanted so I will likely retest these with a muzzle velocity closer to 2200 fps.

- 242 SXRH
- Muzzle velocity 2065 fps

Retained velocity on impact is likely in the 1975 range. Retained weight would be what I consider zero. These penetrated approximately 3" and did massive damage, but retained very little weight. This is a bullet that Elkaholic makes and I believe is intended for low velocity impacts. I think I'll need to move to a longer range to get better low velocity impact data on this one. If I run the muzzle velocity any lower I don't think it well be adequately stabilized.

I started this just to play around since I've always been a bullet scrounge since I started shooting as a kid. Over the years I started to move towards either mono-metal or bonded bullets for all of my hunting guns and so far these tests have pretty much confirmed what I always believed. The most consistent results I'm seeing are from the Accubonds and the solid copper bullets. Accubonds have always worked well for me and other folks I know but there's talk of moving to lead free ammo here in WA so I started moving over to the solid coppers. I've run a lot of Barnes bullets over the years and I've never been disappointed with how they perform. Last year I started to move over towards the Hammer Hunter bullets to replace my Accubonds and I'm really happy with how they're preforming in all these tests too.

I still have a ton of bullets to get to! This is the line up of stuff I wanted to get done this weekend.

143 ELDX, 147 ELDM, 150 Matrix, 162 ELDX, 180 SP, 210 ABLR, 212 ELDX, 215 Berger, 242 SXRH, 250 Berger

135 SMK, 130 E-tip, 130 Scirocco II, 225 SGK, 200 TTSX, 225 TSX, 260 AB, 300 SGK, 350 SMK

88gr HH, 130 SH, 181 HH, 185 SH, 224 SH, 255 SH, 283 SH

A huge thanks (I think:D) to everyone who's sent bullets and helped me out. Keep the feedback coming if there's a way you guy's would like to see this improved.

Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.