Bullet Dissections- what I’ve done and what I haven’t, so far.

Lol, I ordered 100 of them to try out in a 7mm. I read somewhere that they were made to tumble and that's how they do their damage. That hollow point kinda makes me think that's true
They open up good and cause a lot of damage. Never recovered a bullet though but the path was straight no tumbling. But I used a 1-8 twist with the 7mm 151. I know Josh used softer copper and if you drop them they can dent easy.

Hadn't heard the claim on tumbling yet. I'm personally not a fan of tumbling, as it's very unpredictable and unreliable as far as bullet path and overall wound channel size and amount of damage. Consistency and reliability are key.
I would be interested in seeing the pva vs hammer cut in half to see the difference.

I would be interested in seeing the pva vs hammer cut in half to see the difference.
Here's you go, sir.

C421D8A5-64CA-4901-9F3A-7D3204EE7469.jpeg
35189E65-5EF1-4AA8-92BC-CCB5CAFDE420.jpeg
E0400271-C1B0-4EE6-92CB-8ADD91BDC8BF.jpeg
2D0419AC-F348-4AC7-8E38-93F023C2D298.jpeg
AA8D983F-DE03-418C-B2B9-BCC5ED22168A.jpeg

Thank you for that!! Wow what a difference I'm pretty shocked.
Keep in mind too that that Cayuga is a 178gr (I believe) and that Hammer Hunter is a 214gr, so I'd anticipate proportions come into play a bit. However, I doubt even equal weights would be closer to the same. I'd assume the Hammer would still be significantly more. Alloy content (hardness) would make a difference in performance as well.

Last edited:
Could you post pics of either the SMK you did (the non tipped versions). I can't seem to find them in any of your other threads.

Keep posting what you want, I'll gladly contribute, as of now everyone else beat me to it. Your dissection and review of what you do with bullets is exceptional and very much non partisan
Will do, and thank you! I definitely try my best to keep it non partisan, but I do have my own preferences and I like to at least share those for whatever they're worth, and why. I try not to push them on people though lol.

I think after all this amazing support and bullets I have coming my way right now, it's probably best to pause on accepting any more until I can take an inventory after they all arrive. I'd hate for people to send duplicates and part with any bullets they don't need to (not that anyone needs to in the first place, but hopefully you get my meaning).

You all are amazing and I can't think you enough. It's quite humbling. I'll get everything done just as fast as I can and get the results posted regularly. Hopefully when I get most everything on the list in the OP, I can post one big thread with all of them. I'm not sure how that'll look, but I do plan to put it all in my book I'm working on too so it's all in one neat place that's hopefully easy to go through. We'll see how that goes too though lol.

Thanks again everyone!

This is a great project. I hope you can get it in some sort of coherent database at some point for reference. Some interesting results so far!
Yeah, that's the hope lol. It'll just be a mess and not so useful if I can't make the most of it and lay it out well. I think I'll likely do a written database with all the respective manufacturers and then particular bullets separated, and the jacket thicknesses and meplat measurements for each. Then I'll do a picture of the side by side and calipers like I've been doing for the visual reference too. It might not be the easiest thing to layout on here in a thread, but I'll try. I'm sure it'll end up looking better in a book, but I'll also make a Word document and can try to make that available on here too.

I'm up for suggestions too, as I'm sure there are better ideas out there lol.

Will do, and thank you! I definitely try my best to keep it non partisan, but I do have my own preferences and I like to at least share those for whatever they're worth, and why. I try not to push them on people though lol.

I think after all this amazing support and bullets I have coming my way right now, it's probably best to pause on accepting any more until I can take an inventory after they all arrive. I'd hate for people to send duplicates and part with any bullets they don't need to (not that anyone needs to in the first place, but hopefully you get my meaning).

You all are amazing and I can't think you enough. It's quite humbling. I'll get everything done just as fast as I can and get the results posted regularly. Hopefully when I get most everything on the list in the OP, I can post one big thread with all of them. I'm not sure how that'll look, but I do plan to put it all in my book I'm working on too so it's all in one neat place that's hopefully easy to go through. We'll see how that goes too though lol.

Thanks again everyone!
Which is your bullet since you mess with them so much?