what bullet?

Julie

I am having a .338 Norma magnum built for long range hunting and I am wondering if anyone here has any suggestions for hunting bullets. I know that there is usually a tradeoff between ultimate accuracy and best performance but I don't want to wound any animals.
Thanks

Julie

I have shot the most stuff with 250 Berger elite hunters and 225 grain Cutting edge laserheads. I have some 285 ELDs loaded but never killed any game with e 285s. I have some of the old badlands bulldozer 240s setting here but have had limited time to shoot, but they look good. My rifle did not shoot 265 Barnes very well..I have shot 300 grain Barnes too but like the speed and flatter trajectory I get with the 225s and 250s...I will tell you--put a 250 elite hunter in the boiler room...it will not go far.

You will not be disappointed with the 338 Norma, best thing out now in a repeater hunting somewhat lightweight hunting rig...

Last edited:
I am having a .338 Norma magnum built for long range hunting and I am wondering if anyone here has any suggestions for hunting bullets. I know that there is usually a tradeoff between ultimate accuracy and best performance but I don't want to wound any animals.
Thanks

Julie
Ask yourself honestly how far will you shoot at big game. Then play the variables of terminal velocity, and exterior ballistics to give yourself the best chance at a lethal hit.

Your hunting style, and rifle platform will also play a role.

My youngest son and I both have 338 Norma's, and we both use 300 grain Berger Hunter Elite bullets. They are SUPER accurate, and easy to tune. My pet load is 97.0 grains of Reloder 33 and get 2770 fps. Both rifles are 1000 grouse guns. Just kidding, but they are THAT accurate.

I have 2 Normas and have taken many game with both too the 900 yrds range.And close shots at 50 yrds also,elk ,bear,moose,antelope,deer.My son taken game with rifle also ALL Berger 300 OTM.Sot a 6 by bull last year with 240 super dozer,bull went 20 yrds,was only MID 200 YRDS.The 300 grns hit like a hammer,before that I hunted about 36 years with 225 partion out of a 340 wby,lot of ''one n done" Im going to do some load work with 240 and 250 badlands as that would fit most my needs,but I already have the afore mentioned that work.

Attachments

• IMG_3004.JPG
    IMG_3004.JPG
    725.3 KB · Views: 65