What bullet should I use?

slickyboyboo

Looking at setting up my .257 Bob for whitetail and antelope hunting. I don't want to set it up for any long range shots, just a med range of around 300-400 yds max. I'm shooting a Ruger No. 1 1-B (26" bbl) with a Vari-X II 3-9x40 AO. I am thinking about running some Hodgdon Hybrid 100V.

So my question is, what bullet do you think would best suit my purpose? Looking for something that will penetrate well, being a fairly light caliber. I have looked at the NAB, Interbond, SST, and one of the Nosler Partitions, just can't decide.

I have used both the 115 Berger and the 110 accubond for the .257 and they both did very well for deer sized game to 400 yards. With the velocity of the Roberts and these sized bullets I feel these are two good choices.

Jeff

All of the above are good bullets.

Make sure you've got a fast enough twist rate to stabilize whatever you choose.

The 80g ttsx is a very good bullet and will do the job for deer and antelope. With the right powder and a hot load, you'll still have plenty of velocity, but perhaps lacking energy at 400+ yds.

-- richard

my 25wssm loves the 120 speer bt at 2900 fps in a 10" twist 24" barrel. Any of the better 100-120 gr bullets will work if you have a 10" twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.